Ruger LC9 trigger malfunction

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 trigger malfunction within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...t-removal.html part #14 mating with part #5 is the culprit...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger LC9 trigger malfunction

Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal

part #14 mating with part #5 is the culprit

2. Remove Ads

My LC9 is at Ruger with the light primmer strike issue. I had 200 rds with no problems then it started. Not my EDC (M17) but still may trade it off when it gets back.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Once that happened I lost all trust and faith in the weapon... it is time to go.

Well, I haven't had any light strikes, so it may not be quite the same thing.

Took the returned LC9 out today. I fired 300 rounds without a problem. Not a single FTF, and the trigger worked just fine.

Ruger had the gun for about 2 weeks (including shipping time). They replaced the firing pin, the firing pin spring, the hammer assembly, and the hammer catch spring.

For the moment, I'm counting the gun as fixed, and still plan on using it as my EDC. Of course, I'm waiting on the Commonwealth the send me my license, so I'll put some more rounds through 'er before I actually carry 'er.

Bottom line: it appears this is now a solid little gun.

I figured the issue out

I had just purchased the LC9 never even shot one shot and the trigger was broken. So I took it apart and found the problem. Three issues that i have seen and had to fix.

the parts involved
    1. trigger bar
    2. trigger spring
    3. Insert Frame

First trigger bar is punched pressed and has no finish filing done(ruff edges). this is important because the trigger springs runs across the bottom edge. I filed it smooth to the touch no ruff edge or uneven. Second the trigger spring at the end where it touches the bar should be bent so it will rest against the frame and the very end should be bent outward but not more the the depth of the bar channel. this will keep the spring in place and not allow it to slip to either side of the bar. Main trigger issue is that when you pull the trigger the bar will move away from the frame just enough to let the spring move out of pressure position. Third the machining on the insert frame has a little bit of an edge that will not allow the bar to stay flush against it. This causes a teetering movement that cases the spring to slip by the bar. when this happens you have no trigger.

I have two LC9s and the first one I just put another 100 rounds through for a total number of 900 rounds (sorry, in another thread I stated I had put 900 rounds through it, it was actually 800 rounds) and I had also reported that I had no FTE and I did have one at the end of 350 rounds of target ammo. I was shooting that was approx. 20 years old (I found it in one of my closets).
    The second LC9, I bought on Friday and yesterday completed 523 rounds of 3 types of basic 115gr. target ammo. and 2 types of defensive ammo. with no cleaning in between and absolutely no malfunctions (except at the end of one set of rounds, the slide failed to lock back), including may shots limp-wristing and TRYING to cause a malfunction, and it still performed flawlessly.
    As with every gun though, there will be flukes. I will say that compared to the Nano, Kel-tecs, Kahrs, and the Kimber Solo, that this is the first real complaint I have heard regarding the LC9. I know if I had the experiences you guys did, I would have some doubts in reliability (especially this last gentleman that had 3 problems right out of the box! That is usually unheard of and I would bet that Ruger will make heads roll for allowing that to happen so make sure you contact them regarding that!)
    I would recommend to get them fixed and give them another chance and you will probably never regret it. As one person mentioned, once there was a problem, he did not feel comfortable putting it back in service until he had 500 rounds through it (which for, using target ammo., I would be good at half of that, when you will be putting in defense loads when carrying it as that is a much better ammo. and should work fine if the cheap target ammo. does.)
    Hope everybody's problems get resolved!
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

2 Rugers, 3 repairs within 5 months.

The Trigger failed on my SR40c soon after I bought it. Same thing, trigger slow in resetting. Then the rear sight on my LC9 fell off. Then the slide on my SR40c started hanging up after firing it, pausing a second or even two before closing after ejecting a shell. Sure, Ruger gets them fixed and sent back within 10 days, but will that be any comfort to me if I pull the gun to defend myself and it wont fire?

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Just bought an LC9 last week, and put some rounds through it this weekend. I fired 100 rounds (Winchester 115g) no problem. Today I put another 100 through and the trigger malfunctioned. I fired 3 rounds from a fresh magazine and the trigger failed to reset. The safety also won't engage.

I'm pretty frustrated. It's Saturday, so Ruger's not open. I plan on talking to them Monday. What's really frustrating is that I'm taking my CCDW course Saturday, and had hoped to be able to do so with my intended carry weapon.

I hear Ruger's customer service is excellent, but I'm still not sure I'll ever trust the gun. Anyone have similar experiences, either with the LC9 or something else?

My Taurus millennium pro 9mm had exactly the same thing happen.

I must admit, once that happened I lost confidence in the gun and sold it.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I've put 200+ rounds through my new LC9 without any problems. The only "problem" is that sometimes, the LaserMax disengages, but quickly comes back on-line.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links