Ruger LC9 trigger malfunction

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 trigger malfunction within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought an LC9 last week, and put some rounds through it this weekend. I fired 100 rounds (Winchester 115g) no problem. Today I put ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC9 trigger malfunction

Just bought an LC9 last week, and put some rounds through it this weekend. I fired 100 rounds (Winchester 115g) no problem. Today I put another 100 through and the trigger malfunctioned. I fired 3 rounds from a fresh magazine and the trigger failed to reset. The safety also won't engage.

I'm pretty frustrated. It's Saturday, so Ruger's not open. I plan on talking to them Monday. What's really frustrating is that I'm taking my CCDW course Saturday, and had hoped to be able to do so with my intended carry weapon.

I hear Ruger's customer service is excellent, but I'm still not sure I'll ever trust the gun. Anyone have similar experiences, either with the LC9 or something else?

Had a problem with my SP101 and sent it to Ruger--- came back in 10 days all fixed! Their CS is a good one; at least it worked for me.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Just bought an LC9 last week, and put some rounds through it this weekend. I fired 100 rounds (Winchester 115g) no problem. Today I put another 100 through and the trigger malfunctioned. I fired 3 rounds from a fresh magazine and the trigger failed to reset. The safety also won't engage.

I'm pretty frustrated. It's Saturday, so Ruger's not open. I plan on talking to them Monday. What's really frustrating is that I'm taking my CCDW course Saturday, and had hoped to be able to do so with my intended carry weapon.

I hear Ruger's customer service is excellent, but I'm still not sure I'll ever trust the gun. Anyone have similar experiences, either with the LC9 or something else?
    First question is when you released the trigger did you allow it to travel all the way forward before firing it again ?
    Clean it inspect it and try it if you do not allow the trigger to return it can cause that on any auto. It is easy to get caught up in shooting and not notice you are not allowing it to return.

I bought my LC9 two months ago and have zero malfunctions through the first 500 rounds. I'm sure Ruger will make it right. They have top-notch customer service.

Check any frame pins near the trigger. I had one on my SR9c that would walk out a little bit.

Thanks for the feedback. Smitty901, when the trigger failed to reset, I ejected the next round and tried again. No luck. The trigger moved freely without engaging. I ejected the magazine and tried to engage the safety, which would not move.

I put in a new magazine and tried again. No luck. A round would chamber, but the trigger played freely.

So I took the slide off and inspected the gun, but not being a tech I only have a rudimentary idea of what I'm looking for (broken springs, obvious metal shavings, etc.). Everything looked ok, but what do I know?

What I DO know is that after 200 rounds, the trigger fails to reset, the safety fails to engage, and the gun is non-functional. That's not acceptable for anything I buy that costs this much, and that goes double for something this dangerous. Triple if I'm counting on it in an emergency.

I'm hoping to give Ruger the benefit of the doubt, but it's pretty frustrating right now.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    That's why I carry a back up gun. Any gun can have a malfunction at any time. Working at Gun Shops for over a Decade I have seen all makes can have problems.

Frame pins look fine. In fact, everything looks like it did when it arrived, and when I cleaned it after the first 100 rounds. Everything worked great for those rounds and the next 103.

Every manufacturer will have a bad one every now and then. How they handle the occasional issue is key. You need to be aware of trends indicating design or other flaws. This hasn't been a recurring trend with the LC9. Any mechanical object can fail. Many do at some point. I think Ruger is a good company that makes good products. I'd give them a chance to make it right. The LC9 has a good track record from what I've seen, so I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point. This is why we take our carry guns out and put several hundred rounds through them before we carry them. Once you get it back, put about 300 - 400 rounds through it and see how it does. If you don't have any issues, then you're good to go. If you do, then I'd consider moving on to something else.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

BugDude...I know. I'm just frustrated. I've heard nothing but good things about Ruger's CS, so I'm sure they'll make it right. And I hope so, because I've enjoyed the gun so far.

Thats the reason why Ruger has no written warranty or guarantee. (from what I hear) Their policy is that there should not need to be a warranty or guarantee, because if something is not right, they simply make it right. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Smitty901, when the trigger failed to reset, I ejected the next round and tried again. No luck. The trigger moved freely without engaging. I ejected the magazine and tried to engage the safety, which would not move.

I put in a new magazine and tried again. No luck. A round would chamber, but the trigger played freely.

So I took the slide off and inspected the gun, but not being a tech I only have a rudimentary idea of what I'm looking for (broken springs, obvious metal shavings, etc.). Everything looked ok, but what do I know?

What I DO know is that after 200 rounds, the trigger fails to reset, the safety fails to engage, and the gun is non-functional. That's not acceptable for anything I buy that costs this much, and that goes double for something this dangerous. Triple if I'm counting on it in an emergency.

I'm hoping to give Ruger the benefit of the doubt, but it's pretty frustrating right now.
    It just sounds like a broken part very unusal for an LC9 they are a very simple weapon. Ruger will send you a prepaid address label. They will do right call the 800 number for AZ.
    I own two LC9's and have beat the heck out of one of them neither has had any issues.

My guess is a spring's busted.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Kudo's to Ruger's customer service...I had to send my LC9 in after my 1st trip to the range one week after I bought it last year. Sounds like similar problem as you had. They replaced the hammer and some springs and pins and it came back as good as new. It is 100% reliable and goes bang everytime I pull the trigger now.
    Proud NRA member

Well, the LC9 is on it's way to Ruger as we speak. CS was great to work with, and had me sorted out quickly. We'll see what the turnaround time is, and how it works when I get it back.

Orangevol, I'm a UT alum, by the way. And I'm glad to hear you had a good result from your factory dud.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links