Glock - The Rise of America's Gun

This is a discussion on Glock - The Rise of America's Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In his book - Glock: The Rise of America's Gun, Paul Barrett traces how the sleek, high-capacity Austrian weapon found its way across the U.S. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Glock - The Rise of America's Gun

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Glock - The Rise of America's Gun

In his book - Glock: The Rise of America's Gun, Paul Barrett traces how the sleek, high-capacity Austrian weapon found its way across the U.S. (January 28, 2012 Saturday's Show).

Fresh Air from WHYY : NPR

Very nice interview and information.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Sleek?
    C hawk Glock and Secret Spuk like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I preordered this book from Amazon when I first heard about it. I am almost done with it at this point. It is a very interesting read. I knew virtually nothing about Gaston Glock before picking up this book. He is an interesting character to say the least.

For anyone that is interested this book goes well beyond simply talking about Glock and addresses gun culture in the US from the 1980's through the present and gets into the transition from revolvers to modern pistols. I am truly enjoying it.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

VIP Member
    I haven't read it yet, but put it on my iPad last night.

Sleek?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I am not a Glock guy, but I listened to a Gundudes Podcast in which they interviewed the author of the book at Shot Show. Sounds like it could be an interesting read. He suggested that Glock is/will be in the same transitional phase that Ruger was in a few years ago. With Gaston Glock coming to the end of his life, after his death the company could head into a different direction and come out with more interesting products in the future. Much like things changed after the death Bill Ruger.

VIP Member
    Well now I know why I don't like Glock's. I can't stand the Dallas Cowboy's because of the "America's Team" hype they got from the press. If Glock is "America's Gun" it falls into the same category.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sleek?
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    Sleek?
    I think he means "butt ugly."

I am about halfway through this book, pretty interesting read.

Diddle, thanks for posting the interview. Very interesting. I think I will probably get the book.

Oh, and by "sleek" I think he means without unnecessary and obtrusive appendiges to the gun, such as external thumb safeties, decockers, multible chamber-loaded indicaters, large take-down levers, grip safeties, and all these possibly doubled in the ambi guns...well you get the point. There ain't nuthin' ugly about MY Glock, butt or otherwise.
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member since last week.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    What's this all about?

Guns News and Guns Reviews at Guns.com - Guns News and Guns Reviews at Guns.com

Sorry this was supposed to be a link to a article about the authour being denied press credentials to the shot show.

I downloaded it to my Nook this morning and I am about 1/2 way through it. I am not a Glock owner, but the book is a pretty good read so far.

I'm half way through it and it's a very interesting look into the gun culture of the 80s/90s. I don't own a Glock but I think anyone with a passion for firearms would enjoy it.

QUOTE=archer51;2149632]Well now I know why I don't like Glock's. I can't stand the Dallas Cowboy's because of the "America's Team" hype they got from the press. If Glock is "America's Gun" it falls into the same category.[/QUOTE]

I have liked the Dallas Cowboys since 1961 and have used/carried Glocks since 1987 [

I picked the book up at my school's bookstore last week before a road trip to Fort Myer. It was a pretty good read.

I enjoyed that listen. One thing I like about NPR over Conservative talk radio is that they just report events or issues neutrally and let you decide your position. The conservatives seem to just yell their opinions at you.

I consider myself independent, but I do fall conservative on many issues. I just don't need it yelled at my by a professional fear monger.

***sorry to get off topic, just venting. I have a coworker that over exposes me to conservative talk radio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links