Recommendations for a 357 magnum

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a 357 magnum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to spend around 500-550, so a used gun is probably what I'll be looking for. I want something that can handle a steady ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Recommendations for a 357 magnum

I'm trying to spend around 500-550, so a used gun is probably what I'll be looking for.
    I want something that can handle a steady stream of 357, not just 38 specials w/ the occasional 357 round. I haven't owned a revolver (I typically carry an XD), but I like the simplicity and reliability of revolvers and the punch of the 357, especially when out in the hills.
    What are your recommendations??
    <---------------------
    You state that you haven't owned a revolver and I'm thinking that maybe after trying that "steady stream of 357" you might reconsider your ratio of 38 to 357 for practice. That being said, those who have suggested the Model 19 have made a good suggestion. Mine gets mostly 38s for practice and 357 for the woods.

2. Remove Ads

I recently acquired a used four inch S&W 681 and could not be happier with it. I was actually looking for a four inch model 65 and the guy at the shop grabbed it with a couple of other options. It has fixed sights and a full under lug on the barrel. A little heavier for carrying but that just makes it shoot softer.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

whoops. You wanted a revolver. My apologies.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Is that one of those plastic terrorist guns that makes it through airport security undetected?
    yes. Made complete of ceramic, plastic, and rubber. Fires ice bullets that melt in the wound leaving no ballistic evidence.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Requirement: Home protection and outdoors/hiking gun. DA .357.

When I had the same need, I went with a 4" GP100 and loved it. I like the S&Ws, too (I own 3 S&W .38s), but that Ruger was a sweet firearm.

Traded that gun away and still regret doing so. I'll probably pick up a stainless one in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    <---------------------
    You state that you haven't owned a revolver and I'm thinking that maybe after trying that "steady stream of 357" you might reconsider your ratio of 38 to 357 for practice. That being said, those who have suggested the Model 19 have made a good suggestion. Mine gets mostly 38s for practice and 357 for the woods.
    I'm sure I'll shoot plenty of 38s between practice rounds and the kids getting time with it. I guess my main point is that I want one that is beefy enough that I don't have to worry about stressing it w/ 357s over a long period of time.
    Looks like there are several good ones to consider.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    They do. "Interesting" is a good word for that article, but I would use another adjective.

Anyway, why do you think S&W brought out the L frame in 1981? Because more agencies were starting to shoot more full-house .357s as a matter of course, and the K-frame guns (66s and 19s) were getting hammered.
    Hmmm... my first real post and I'll probably be in a fight already.

Ditto, if you assume that the revolver has fired or will fire many thousands of rounds - and no, I don't have an upper figure, but I'd start to think about tightness after 5,000 magnum rounds. The trouble with buying a used gun of unknown provenance is that you don't know about that, although examination of the top strap may give you some clues.

If, on the other hand, you know that its history is of relatively light use, mostly .38s or even wadcutters if it was a target gun, then I think a Model 19/66 would be a perfectly appropriate choice. Everyody has his own ideas about what a particular gun oughta feel like. For me, a Model 19 is it when it comes to revolvers, so I'm probably biased.

And, for use in the hills and woods I'd get a good shoulder holster to carry it high and tight.

Pilgrim

Ruger SP101 or GP100
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim98908 View Post
    And, for use in the hills and woods I'd get a good shoulder holster to carry it high and tight.
    I hadn't considered a shoulder holster. Was thinking of an OWB @ 3 oclock.
    I'm interested in your preference for a shoulder holster.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    Ruger GP-100 would fit the bill for you. I also wouldn't hesitate on a Ruger Security/Service/Speed 6 if you can find one. However the 6 series revolvers were discontinued in 1988. I have both a Security 6 and Speed 6 snubbie, they're built like a tank, and will handle full house magnum loads all day long.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

For your stated stated diet of full house .357's an S&W L-frame 586/686 will serve you well, especially if you like forward weight balance. If you prefer a lighter muzzle weight go for a N-frame S&W 28. I am slightly more accurate with the L-frame, slightly quicker on target with the N-frame. If you don't shoot matches it probably don't matter, and individuals differ anyway.

You can get a brand new GP100 for $550. That would be my choice.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I am absolutely biased in favor of the model 66 Smith. However, if I just wanted to go out and buy a new gun I'd probably go with a Ruger sp101. Adjustable sights, all stainless, 4" barrel, and available all day long below $550. Also it only weighs in at less than 30 ounces. Not important for home defense but when hiking or working in the woods, especially off the beaten trail, packing a 3 pound gun around can be tiresome. And aggravating. It just too bad it's not offered in a 6" model. The GP100 is available in a 6" but you're adding a full pound of weight that you might not want to pack around. Even the 4" SP100 outweighs the SP101 by a hefty 10 ounces. Worn in a shoulder holster under a light jacket it won't snag on brush or get in the way while climbing around. Helps to protect the gun also. Wearing it under a light jacket also helps to keep down the nervous stares from hikers encountered on the traill

I received a 6" SS river gp100 for Christmas. I bout 300 various weight defensive .357 mags that all fired beautifully, and easily. I plan on using for the purpose you stated, a camping gun. I'm in CA, not too many grizzlies to worry about anymore so i feel fine with its capabilities on 2-4 leggers. I love it. I also plan on getting a 686 eventually but it is generally out of your price range. Pending horrific financial issues I will never get rid of the gp and I doubt it if my grandkids grandkids can wear it down. I love the feel, the look the balance and everything about it.

I am gonna have the trigger smoothed out for a whole $35, still cheaper than the 686 at that point. I am plannimg on outing wood grips of some sort on it and I did replace the front blade sight with a Hi-Viz red bar and it wad an immense improvement. It really draws the eye and shooting 2 eyes open allows for.great sight and Target acquisition.

Good luck. All of the mentioned options are on "my list"
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I'd love a GP100, or 686, with a 4" barrel

Used to have a Model 19, 6" version, but I sold it
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links