Recommendations for a 357 magnum

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a 357 magnum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Smith & Wesson Model 19 or it's stainless steel cousin, the Model 66 is still outstanding for a medium weight .357 Magnum for toting ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Recommendations for a 357 magnum

The Smith & Wesson Model 19 or it's stainless steel cousin, the Model 66 is still outstanding for a medium weight .357 Magnum for toting in 2 1/2-inch or 4-inch barrel lengths.

I like large .357 Magnums best. They're great for shooting the .357 Magnum cartridge the way it was intended. The L-Frame Smith & Wesson models are so popular and they're great. I'm just not personally a fan of the full-lug and front heavy balance. I have a 6-inch Colt Python but feel the same way about its balance. For hunting or hiking the weight is not an issue with a good belt holster.

Now MCP1810's 4-inch Model 681 acquisition is intriguing. No sights to snag or get out of kilter. Smith & Wesson fixed sight revolvers generally are zeroed pretty well for most loads used. The fixed sight L-Frames are a bit less common than the adjustable sight models. I'd like to have a Model 581 or Model 681 in 4-inch.

This 6-inch Smith & Wesson Model 27 is my very favorite of all.

Our youngest son shown touching off a heavy handload in the Model 27 using a 158 grain bullet such as would be appropriate if the revolver was used for deer hunting.
    wmhawth likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

I've enjoyed reading this thread........ I live in western Colorado and have a lot of the guns that are mentioned above. I don't know where the name "field gun" came from but I have several 686's (4 and 6 inch) and a Model 28 (Highway Patrolman) and they all qualify as "field guns" for me. I love to have one of these strapped on ..... open carry .... when I out four wheeling.......

(For concealed carry I stick with my Glocks)...............

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    S&W for sure.....
    686 for new models
    66 is you want a classic

I know Im asking for it from all you S&W guys,but i gotta put a plug in for my Taurus 605.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    S&W 66 4"( im partial to stanless) has a well earned following. and used for ~$400 may do you well.

you specify no SAO so rather than a ruger blackhawk (built to last for your great grand children) a not as pretty
    but just as strong would be a redhawk.

upside to a blackhawk is multi cylinders...357 with a 9mm is commen
    redhawk would have the cylinder attached to its crane and you would need a screw driver.

the ease of putting a scope/reddot on the S&W is why i parted with the rugers years back.
    ------------

Cory...a tip of me hat to ua for passing me along

im growing quite fond on my M60 Pro also.

now, a question---for carry i am crafting a leather holster cause the free market seems to
    have passed all but the 2" J-frames by. IWB with retention snap strap to be worn at 3:30
    with a 35 degree rake worked for my Defender. and the same holster will be reused when
    i get a Sig Ultra soon.
    i know revolvers carry a litttle different, but there's two months of winter left to work on it...

have you come across anything with potential?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If you want a sturdy 6 shot .357 with a 6" barrel the GP100 is hard to beat. It's the best gun in your price range. You might as well skip the .38 rounds and stick with the full load .357s because the recoil should be very easy to manage.

It weighs in more than my S&W 327 TRR8 which has a 5" barrel, and they both have the rubber grips that help with recoil.

I don't even feel the recoil with my S&W, and the Ruger having more heft behind it should have equitable, or less, recoil.

My take on Taurus is simple, if you can spend a bit more for something for more guaranteed quality, why not do that? Taurus does make decent guns, but they have more issues than their counterparts. Your money, your risk.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    If you want a sturdy 6 shot .357 with a 6" barrel the GP100 is hard to beat. It's the best gun in your price range. You might as well skip the .38 rounds and stick with the full load .357s because the recoil should be very easy to manage.

It weighs in more than my S&W 327 TRR8 which has a 5" barrel, and they both have the rubber grips that help with recoil.

I don't even feel the recoil with my S&W, and the Ruger having more heft behind it should have equitable, or less, recoil.

My take on Taurus is simple, if you can spend a bit more for something for more guaranteed quality, why not do that? Taurus does make decent guns, but they have more issues than their counterparts. Your money, your risk.
    I hear ya.Hey,at least Im a bona fide Packer fan!!
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Look into a Ruger GP100 they can be found in your price range, another good revolver is the N framed S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman, slightly larger than the GP100 but built for a steady diet of 357s.
    This or the Ruger SP101...either will last for decades!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My preference would have to be the 686 S&W followed closely by the GP100 Ruger. A friend of mine gave me a 4" Taurus Tracker 357 magnum that, to date, has been a really nice revolver.

For a "knock around in the woods gun" in which you aren't concerned with daily carry, CC, or it being a safe queen the GP100 is hard to beat. Excellent gun at a good price. Check some of the online shops and you can find a used one well within your budget. For the intended purpose you have stated, I wouldn't drop a lot of money on a fancy-go-to-meeting gun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I debated long and hard between a 686 S&W and a GP100 Ruger. Once I saw how the GP100 broke down (easy as can be) I was sold on it. Got it and been happy with it.

I'm more of a revolver guy, and I have to say, I love the GP100 and it's built to last and take any beating. Easy disassembly / assembly as well, that is if you need to for any reason.

If you aren't wanting heavy duty,.... then go with the LCR or the SP101.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Ruger GP100 in either 4.2" or 6".

I want ot take some time to tell you why I suggested the Chiappa Arms Rhino.

Recoil of a full length 357 has a bunch of muzzle rise.
    The Rhino has no muzzle rise. The felt recoil with 357 158 grain mag rounds is like a 115 grain 9mm. The recoil of the 38 special +p 125 grain is about the same as a 22. This gun is so fast back on target it is hard to believe . I have both a 6" and 2" the 6 has a rail to mount a red dot sight for hunting and shooting that gun with 180 grain Noslers at around 1100 FPS is not more recoil than a 38 special 158 grain Ina standard revolver. Yes it is that good in reduced recoil.

Sure it looks a little unusual but I like to say unique. I have over 800 rounds through the snubby no problems. Also it carries like a dream slab sided cylinder keeps width narrow and it compact size with a high ride strong side holster makes it very concealable.
    Last edited by Ramjet; January 31st, 2012 at 10:30 AM.

The 686 is a very solid revolver and feels good when shooting it.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Why shoulder holster

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I hadn't considered a shoulder holster. Was thinking of an OWB @ 3 oclock.
    I'm interested in your preference for a shoulder holster.
    Well, the first issue is purely subjective. I don't like the weight of the piece tugging on my waist all day when using even a wide "normal" belt. A good shoulder rig, one with a belt tab on the toe (or thereabouts) of the holster will split the weight between shoulder and belt. Keep in mind that I suggest a good rig, which won't be cheap. The belt tab will also keep the holster pulled in close to your body in most positions and that's a Good Thing.

In your shoes, I'd be looking for a 6" barrel and they are kinda unhandy on a pants belt, especially when sitting. I used to carry one in uniform and was forever adjusting it to find a spot that didn't push the muzzle up, thereby driving the grip into me.

As another poster mentioned, the rig keeps the weapon out of sight under a short jacket and, in the woods, out of the way of entanglements. It also provides a high level of protection for the weapon.

Downside: in hot weather you've got a slab of leather up against your rib cage but it's not like it's pasted there. Body movement allows it to swing a little and ventilate.

Refocusing for a moment, there are good arguments in favor of the Rugers; I own both. And to me it comes down to this: the Model 19 (not all the Smiths, just this one) is the prettiest girl at the prom.

Pilgrim

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links