Recommendations for a 357 magnum

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a 357 magnum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gryphon The K frame magnums (19/66) were produced by S&W for a total of 48 years. Suddenly they realized they were no ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Recommendations for a 357 magnum

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    The K frame magnums (19/66) were produced by S&W for a total of 48 years. Suddenly they realized they were no good and replaced 'em with the L frame. Seriously, I have nothing against the L frames. They are a nice gun. But the K frame is a lot more comfortable to carry in the field and has an excellent reputation for accuracy. I suppose it only stands to reason that a lighter weapon firing many thousands of rounds would develope problems sooner than a heavier model. But for every one that has developed a problem there are many hundreds that just continue to do their job. We have a PD armorer here who had a lot of problems. I am certain he knows what he saw. At the same time I know of another big city armorer who did not have those problems. Go figure. We also need to consider the original posters requirements. He is comfortable with a price range of $500 to $550 dollars. We all have personal favorites but recommending $700+ guns won't be of much help.
    You confuse me with someone who has a dog in this hunt.

I didn't recommend anything. I simply stated that a referred article was BS. Hey, I prefer the K frame as well. But the simple truth is, a steady diet of "magnums" will batter one loose. How soon/how many rounds depends upon the quantity and power level of said rounds. The OP said he was going to shoot mainly full .357s. I suspect he'll modify that stance after actually shooting a few, but that's not the point, is it?

S&W did not come up with the K frame "magnum" on their own. Bill Jordan, the prominent Border Patrolman, convinced Carl Hellstrom, at that time the boss of S&W, to do it. Both men knew up front that the resulting gun wouldn't take a lot of pounding from full house .357s, like the older N frames would/will. This fact is mentioned numerous times in much of the literature about those days.

I'm betting the revolvers administered by your "big city armorer" without problems saw very few full house .357s fired through them. No figuring involved there.

And I wasn't even thinking about price. You really lost me there... to the best of my knowledge, a good K frame is fetching MORE these days than a vintage (six shot) L frame.

Whatever.

To the OP... if you're serious about using mainly 'magnums', take the advice offered re getting a Ruger GP-100... or an N-frame S&W. And good luck with your venture. Revolvers are cool.

2. Remove Ads

A major con census on here approves of the Ruger SP101.
    One more step and it's on!

Gorgeous. It looks much better with the wood grip

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a number of .357 revolvers, and the one I usually recommend in the 4 to 6 inch barrel length for your application is the S&W model 686. I've had the one below for about 15 years, and it is the perfect revolver for shooting magnums in a longer barrel gun.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    A major con census on here approves of the Ruger SP101.
    The OP stated that he wants a 4" or 6" revolver. His only SP101 option there would be the new 4.2" offering if he's OK with the 5 round capacity.

Ruger® SP101® Double-Action Revolver Models

A 4" Ruger GP100 ! If having a 5 shot doesn't bother you look into the new longer barrel versions of the Ruger SP101.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a number of .357 revolvers, and the one I usually recommend in the 4 to 6 inch barrel length for your application is the S&W model 686. I've had the one below for about 15 years, and it is the perfect revolver for shooting magnums in a longer barrel gun.

I'll agree with the 686!
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Love pre-lock Smiths too.....just can't get past that keyhole thingy on the new ones!
    msgt/ret and bmcgilvray like this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Thanks for all the feedback!!
    Think I'm going with the Ruger GP100. Fits the budget and is a built for many years of use.
    Now to decide on the 4" or 6" barrel and stainless vs blued.
    Also have to sell a safe queen that gets almost no use to make way for this purchase.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I would think that the 4" model would be easier to carry
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

ntg
    You've had plenty of good suggestions already, but I'm thinking on a trail/mountain gun right now too...I think the new SP101 in the 4" is the best way to go IMO. One more vote.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

VIP Member
    S&W 686, find a used one if the new price is too much.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I'm in the market for a 357 revolver. I want something with a 4 - 6" barrel, SA & DA. Do not want SAO. This won't be a daily carry gun, but one that I can strap on for outings into the hills.

I'm trying to spend around 500-550, so a used gun is probably what I'll be looking for.
    I want something that can handle a steady stream of 357, not just 38 specials w/ the occasional 357 round. I haven't owned a revolver (I typically carry an XD), but I like the simplicity and reliability of revolvers and the punch of the 357, especially when out in the hills.

What are your recommendations??
    You can probably pick up 2 EAA Windicators in 6" for $550-$600. I have one in 2" that I picked up for $300 after tax, put over 1K rounds through it, with NO problems whatsoever. Most of those were .38spl. 200-300 of those .357mag. It's not my carry piece anymore, but it is still my favorite.

If it's worth having a .357mag, it's worth having 2.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I love my sp101
    NRA member
    Gen 3 Glock 27
    Gen 4 Glock 23
    Ruger sp101 .357
    Colt 1911

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Look into a Ruger GP100 they can be found in your price range, another good revolver is the N framed S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman, slightly larger than the GP100 but built for a steady diet of 357s.
    I have a model 28-2 in a 4" barrel.It's a tank of a gun but great to shoot.
    Don't believe everything you think.

I have a S&W 686 and I love it. It. Is solid, accurate and comfortable to shoot.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links