Recommendations for a 357 magnum

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a 357 magnum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Idahokid I have a model 28-2 in a 4" barrel.It's a tank of a gun but great to shoot. Yes, and Model ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Recommendations for a 357 magnum

Quote Originally Posted by Idahokid View Post
    I have a model 28-2 in a 4" barrel.It's a tank of a gun but great to shoot.
    Yes, and Model 28s may still be had for less than most other Smith & Wesson models. Offers all the N-Frame goodness of the Model 27 357 Magnum without the current price tags asked on most Model 27s these days. My first .357 Magnum revolver was a Model 28 6-inch purchased used for $145 (wasn't just the other day). It handled all the experimental heavy handloads a young and enthused handloader could think up to try in it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yes, and Model 28s may still be had for less than most other Smith & Wesson models. Offers all the N-Frame goodness of the Model 27 357 Magnum without the current price tags asked on most Model 27s these days. My first .357 Magnum revolver was a Model 28 6-inch purchased used for $145 (wasn't just the other day). It handled all the experimental heavy handloads a young and enthused handloader could think up to try in it.
    The Model 28 is the girl next door when compared to the Model 27 Prom Queen. Still good looking but a lot more fun to be with.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Look into a Ruger GP100 they can be found in your price range, another good revolver is the N framed S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman, slightly larger than the GP100 but built for a steady diet of 357s.
    Spot on with the N frame. There are .357's that were designed to be carried everyday and seldom shot. The N frames were designed to be shot. Many of the light weight alloy revolvers were designed for police carry, not to be used with full house loads on a daily basis.

What is the most important to you? Carry comfort or a large heavy gun that will handle a large diet of real magnum loads. I honestly believe that one of the reasons that the .357 is loaded lighter nowadays is because of the advent of alloy guns.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    You confuse me with someone who has a dog in this hunt.

I didn't recommend anything. I simply stated that a referred article was BS. Hey, I prefer the K frame as well. But the simple truth is, a steady diet of "magnums" will batter one loose. How soon/how many rounds depends upon the quantity and power level of said rounds. The OP said he was going to shoot mainly full .357s. I suspect he'll modify that stance after actually shooting a few, but that's not the point, is it?

S&W did not come up with the K frame "magnum" on their own. Bill Jordan, the prominent Border Patrolman, convinced Carl Hellstrom, at that time the boss of S&W, to do it. Both men knew up front that the resulting gun wouldn't take a lot of pounding from full house .357s, like the older N frames would/will. This fact is mentioned numerous times in much of the literature about those days.

I'm betting the revolvers administered by your "big city armorer" without problems saw very few full house .357s fired through them. No figuring involved there.

And I wasn't even thinking about price. You really lost me there... to the best of my knowledge, a good K frame is fetching MORE these days than a vintage (six shot) L frame.

Whatever.

To the OP... if you're serious about using mainly 'magnums', take the advice offered re getting a Ruger GP-100... or an N-frame S&W. And good luck with your venture. Revolvers are cool.

The K-frame can not take a full loads of 357 mag..... however the lighter stuff will be fine in them.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    The K-frame can not take a full loads of 357 mag.....
    Sure it can. The question is... for how long?

I picked up a used stainless GP100 w/ 6" barrel. Very nice condition. I'm changing out the hammer spring to lighten up the double action pull a little. I'll be shooting it this weekend.
    From the recommendations here and what I've read, I'm confident it will handle everything I can put thru it and still pass it on to a future grandkid in 30 or so years.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links