Recommendations for a 357 magnum

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a 357 magnum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a 357 revolver. I want something with a 4 - 6" barrel, SA & DA. Do not want SAO. This ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Recommendations for a 357 magnum

Recommendations for a 357 magnum

I'm in the market for a 357 revolver. I want something with a 4 - 6" barrel, SA & DA. Do not want SAO. This won't be a daily carry gun, but one that I can strap on for outings into the hills.

I'm trying to spend around 500-550, so a used gun is probably what I'll be looking for.
    I want something that can handle a steady stream of 357, not just 38 specials w/ the occasional 357 round. I haven't owned a revolver (I typically carry an XD), but I like the simplicity and reliability of revolvers and the punch of the 357, especially when out in the hills.

What are your recommendations??
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Look into a Ruger GP100 they can be found in your price range, another good revolver is the N framed S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman, slightly larger than the GP100 but built for a steady diet of 357s.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have both a Ruger Security Six .357 and a S&W .357 (Model 19 I believe). Both are solid weapons with zero reliability issues. Both are single action or double action. Both have had the original wood grips replaced with rubber grips. The Ruger has a rocker style cylinder release button, and the S&W has a slide forward style cylinder release. I think I prefer the slide forward style, but both are highly functional. In addition, I have had an issue with the Ruger's ejector rod coming slightly unscrewed and backing out a little bit, causing it to get hung up on the frame. A little lock tight fixed that issue though. Also, the S&W seems to reassemble a little more easily than the Ruger. I realize both weapons are a little older, but if you're looking for a used model, they may be what you come across more often. Good luck in your search.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I own the S&W 686, not the Model 19. I loaned it to my mother years ago as HD weapon, so it's been out of my hands for while {blush}.
    Last edited by SigHawk; January 30th, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

The model 19 S&W mentioned above is an excellent gun. Or the stainless version which is the model 66. Both are a little older but are rugged, extremely accurate, and also beautiful pieces of workmanship. In addition, the two Smiths will only run about 36 ounces with a 6 inch barrel and slightly less with the 4". Makes for much easier carrying in the woods all day. And, in your price range you can get a nce one. Here's a link to an artical on the model 19 (although I'd go with the stainless for field use) The Smith & Wesson Model 19

VIP Member
    Interesting article, for many years I have read and been told the Model 19 would loosen up due to the use of heavy 357MAG loads, that is why I recommended the model 28 since it is built on the N frame. I now stand corrected. I have two Model 19s it think will be seeing more 357s in their future. Both the Model 19/66 and the Security Six revolvers are fine weapons that will give many years of use.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Lightweight bullets apparantly are not the best choice for any magnum. However, having repeated that, there is an ex-armorer for a PD over on the S&W board. He has a model 66 he aquired in '92 that had at that time over 13000 documented rounds of 125gr magnums fired from it with no problems. My next purchase by the way will likely be a 6" model 66. If I've done it right there should be a picture of an m66 below.
    a.jpg

S&w 686

I have a number of .357 revolvers, and the one I usually recommend in the 4 to 6 inch barrel length for your application is the S&W model 686. I've had the one below for about 15 years, and it is the perfect revolver for shooting magnums in a longer barrel gun.

Old School and msgt/ret like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Ruger SP101. Small, easy to conceal, built like a tank but just heavy enough to make .357 rounds manageable. I usually carry .38+p in it because when I've tested various rounds, that gives me the best control and follow-up. But .357 Gold Sabres 125 gr. are pretty nice too. That's my reload. I do enjoy my other Smith wheelies as well, and would NEVER pass up an opportunity to buy another in .357, but I prefer my SP101 over the Smith 442, and the Smith 686plus 6" barrel is just a little too ungainly to successfully CC.

Compare the 442 to SP101. No contest.

The big Smith is the nicest, most accurate, sweetest trigger pistol I own. Perfect perfect perfect for full size .357 loads. Holes through holes at 25 yards.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

The 686 is a nice weapon. Heavier than the m66/19's though (about 46 ounces for the 6" model). And usually a couple hundred dollars more. At least from what I've run into. I usually see them listed from around $550 to about $650. None of those things take away from the fact that they are a nice gun though.

Chiappa Rhino light accurate no recoil

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Interesting article, for many years I have read and been told the Model 19 would loosen up due to the use of heavy 357MAG loads...
    They do. "Interesting" is a good word for that article, but I would use another adjective.

Anyway, why do you think S&W brought out the L frame in 1981? Because more agencies were starting to shoot more full-house .357s as a matter of course, and the K-frame guns (66s and 19s) were getting hammered. The gas-cutting due to lighter bullets is just one issue that was happening; end-shake, both cylinder and yoke varieties, developed faster; along with timing issues as well. Not all revolvers, of course. But of the thousand-plus M-66s my agency operated up until 1989, those of us who were armorers got a lot busier tightening up/repairing them after we began shooting more .357s in quals. Make of that what you will.

Claude Clay, this forum, is selling a 5" Model 60 S&W (J Magnum frame) though he wants to sell local if possible. I have a 60 3" Pro that I bought for the same reasons as you, but I want to carry it daily as well as it's 'right-sized'. If I didn't also have a 586 4" I'd probably grab his. Just sayin'. If I had the cash I might grab his anyway.

CC

The K frame magnums (19/66) were produced by S&W for a total of 48 years. Suddenly they realized they were no good and replaced 'em with the L frame. Seriously, I have nothing against the L frames. They are a nice gun. But the K frame is a lot more comfortable to carry in the field and has an excellent reputation for accuracy. I suppose it only stands to reason that a lighter weapon firing many thousands of rounds would develope problems sooner than a heavier model. But for every one that has developed a problem there are many hundreds that just continue to do their job. We have a PD armorer here who had a lot of problems. I am certain he knows what he saw. At the same time I know of another big city armorer who did not have those problems. Go figure. We also need to consider the original posters requirements. He is comfortable with a price range of $500 to $550 dollars. We all have personal favorites but recommending $700+ guns won't be of much help.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    We have both a 6" 686 (CT grips, my wife's HD gun) and a 4" GP100 that's also CT grip equipped and on it's way to my Daughter to be her HD gun.

Having owned and shot both, a lot, with every thing from powder puff HBWC loads to full house .357 hunting loads, I have to vote for the GP100 being the better revolver. It's a piece of cake to smooth it out with an hour and a dremel, instructions are available on the web (Ruger forum), replace the trigger return spring with a Wolf spring after polishing the internal parts and you will love the trigger pull. Leave the hammer spring alone. Stock one is good. It's about as indestructable as a lump of iron. Love that gun. So does my daughter.

Edited to add: I only shoot full magnum handloads (158g Rem SJHP with a max charge of W296 or H110) in both the 686 and the GP100. Both those relatively heavy revolvers are a bunch of fun to shoot with that load. Since I reload, I can afford to shoot 50 or so in a range trip, and I do.

I load equivelant .38+P in .357 brass for my wife and daughter to shoot for practice. The .357 brass keeps the carbon ring from building up in the end of the chamber like happens when shooting .38SP ammo in them.

When we shoot at the indoor range and my wife is in the next lane, the .357 loads I'm shooting vibrate the floor enough to make her knees hurt every time it the gun goes off. The range is dark near the firing line and there is quite a bit of fire out the muzzle. I love shooting those revolvers. They weigh nearly 40 oz so recoil is very managable. The .357 MAG loads are loud but nothing like the .460 or .500 I've seen. I don't have either of those, no desire to shoot them at all.

The other really fun Magnum to shoot is a 9" barrel Ruger Super BlackHawk .44 MAG. The long barrel and heavy weight makes it very pleasant to shoot, and remarkably accurate. I don't have one ... yet.

Fitch
    Last edited by Fitch; January 30th, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

+1 for the RUGER SP101...excellent gun, barrel length choices,etc.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links