Expensive Rest Stop

This is a discussion on Expensive Rest Stop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati today and figured I would stop at Cabella's for a rest stop. I like to browse their used guns and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Elk Hunter
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By ksholder

Thread: Expensive Rest Stop

VIP Member

Expensive Rest Stop

Going between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati today and figured I would stop at Cabella's for a rest stop. I like to browse their used guns and today I found a S&W model 15-8 that looks brand new - pics to follow when I get it from my FFL. The price was right, so I bought it. I bet it has not had a box put through it as there is almost no scratch ring around the cylinder. Now to call Rocky for a holster.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

My wife has banished me from darkening the doors of my local hole in the wall gun shop. Something about every time I walk in, I walk out with several new or used weapons. I take affront to that...... last trip around Christmas I only walked out with the Taurus PT 709. Well, and extra magazines...more 9mm ammo....maybe a holster.... but that was all!

The AR 15 was the trip before that, and it was just the rifle...well, and the soft case....ammo....extra magazines.....maybe a few other small do dads..... but man oh man they love to see me walking in the door!
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Nice job, today is my sons birthday, going to my LGS this afternoon to get him a nice birthday present, my little boy is 21 today.
    Inspector71 likes this.

How much? I want details and pictures when you get them so I can use them to pummel myself for missing such a good deal. Oh! And I can hate you for your great score.

VIP Member
    I just recently bought a Model 15 myself, you will not be disappointed with your purchase, enjoy. Oh and I have had similar experiences with rest stops, such is life.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

One day I will buy the model 15,first centerfire pistol I ever shot and carried,1976 Lackland AFB,Security Police training.I will never forget I was working the Main Gate at RAF Bentwaters England,I stopped an outgoing civilian vehicle,they had a large amount of Adult Beverage inside,no Military personnel,so I'm asking where and who did you get the alcohol from,One guy asked "Is that loaded" pointing at the Model 15 in my holster,I said it's easier to shoot somebody with a loaded gun,he got real quiet.We allowed them to leave with the alcohol,huge party off base hosted by somebody I knew.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    A fun store to poke around in. Lots of nice toys.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Going between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati today and figured I would stop at Cabella's for a rest stop. I like to browse their used guns and today I found a S&W model 15-8 that looks brand new - pics to follow when I get it from my FFL. The price was right, so I bought it. I bet it has not had a box put through it as there is almost no scratch ring around the cylinder. Now to call Rocky for a holster.
    Way to go!
    My wife and me made the pilgrimage down to the Cabelas in lower Michigan. Im pretty much just a backwoods yooper, so I dont get to experience such places all that often.My wife said she could've shoved a tube sock in my mouth when I saw the gun section.
    They had a like new colt woodsman that I kept going back and hefting and drolling over. Wife assured me that I had enough 22's

I will own a woodsman some day....
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    Way to go!
    My wife and me made the pilgrimage down to the Cabelas in lower Michigan. Im pretty much just a backwoods yooper, so I dont get to experience such places all that often.My wife said she could've shoved a tube sock in my mouth when I saw the gun section.
    They had a like new colt woodsman that I kept going back and hefting and drolling over. Wife assured me that I had enough 22's

I will own a woodsman some day....
    That's a heck of a journey from the UP to Cabela's down on US23. Yeah, their used gun selection is pretty amazing and loads of fun to peruse. This is the first time I found something I could not live without. In looking at the serial number and the box, I think I may have misread the dash number and it should be a 15-3. The serial number is a 1970 serial number (1K143XX) and that would be consistent with a -3. The box is also cardboard and a -8 should have a plastic box. I can't wait to get this thing home and take a closer look at it - and shoot it!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    They are very nice revolvers. Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Well, it finally came in. Here are a few pics. I would rate it at 95% or so. The square butt fills my hand much better than the round butt on my pre model 10 M&P K-frame. This one is a 15-3, the 3 is easy to mistake for an 8.

DSCN0190a.jpg

DSCN0192a.jpg
    Fitch likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Well, it finally came in. Here are a few pics. I would rate it at 95% or so. The square butt fills my hand much better than the round butt on my pre model 10 M&P K-frame. This one is a 15-3, the 3 is easy to mistake for an 8.

DSCN0190a.jpg

DSCN0192a.jpg
    Your's looks better than mine, nice purchase.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Wow! Nice looking! Ya done good!
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

VIP Member
    Well, I finally got it to the range today. This gun is a sweet shooter!! It is easy to control with 1 hand (which was my goal) and easy to get accurate, quick follow on shots. The only drawback is that it is not +P, so I have to use standard pressure SD rounds. I purchased some Buffalo Bore 20C 158 grain LSWHP rounds that should fill the bill.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Well done!

I think my wife was in favor of the Utah permits so we wouldn't stop in the parking lot of the Cabela's in Dundee MI each trip from PA and back to visit relatives in MI. Before I got the Utah permit I had to remove and lock up my carry gun before leaving PA for Ohio. I'd drive to the Cabela's and get a trip inside as a bonus when I got the gun back out, or locked it up on the return trip.

I can get in soooooooooo much trouble in a gun store ...

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Links