Defensive Carry banner

Expensive Rest Stop

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Fitch 
#1 ·
Going between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati today and figured I would stop at Cabella's for a rest stop. I like to browse their used guns and today I found a S&W model 15-8 that looks brand new - pics to follow when I get it from my FFL. The price was right, so I bought it. I bet it has not had a box put through it as there is almost no scratch ring around the cylinder. Now to call Rocky for a holster.

#2 ·
My wife has banished me from darkening the doors of my local hole in the wall gun shop. Something about every time I walk in, I walk out with several new or used weapons. I take affront to that...... last trip around Christmas I only walked out with the Taurus PT 709. Well, and extra magazines...more 9mm ammo....maybe a holster.... but that was all!

The AR 15 was the trip before that, and it was just the rifle...well, and the soft case....ammo....extra magazines.....maybe a few other small do dads..... but man oh man they love to see me walking in the door! :image035:

#6 ·
One day I will buy the model 15,first centerfire pistol I ever shot and carried,1976 Lackland AFB,Security Police training.I will never forget I was working the Main Gate at RAF Bentwaters England,I stopped an outgoing civilian vehicle,they had a large amount of Adult Beverage inside,no Military personnel,so I'm asking where and who did you get the alcohol from,One guy asked "Is that loaded" pointing at the Model 15 in my holster,I said it's easier to shoot somebody with a loaded gun,he got real quiet.We allowed them to leave with the alcohol,huge party off base hosted by somebody I knew.

#7 ·
A fun store to poke around in. Lots of nice toys.

#8 ·
Way to go!
My wife and me made the pilgrimage down to the Cabelas in lower Michigan. Im pretty much just a backwoods yooper, so I dont get to experience such places all that often.My wife said she could've shoved a tube sock in my mouth when I saw the gun section.
They had a like new colt woodsman that I kept going back and hefting and drolling over. Wife assured me that I had enough 22's:mad:

I will own a woodsman some day....

#9 ·
That's a heck of a journey from the UP to Cabela's down on US23. Yeah, their used gun selection is pretty amazing and loads of fun to peruse. This is the first time I found something I could not live without. In looking at the serial number and the box, I think I may have misread the dash number and it should be a 15-3. The serial number is a 1970 serial number (1K143XX) and that would be consistent with a -3. The box is also cardboard and a -8 should have a plastic box. I can't wait to get this thing home and take a closer look at it - and shoot it!!!

#11 ·
Well, it finally came in. Here are a few pics. I would rate it at 95% or so. The square butt fills my hand much better than the round butt on my pre model 10 M&P K-frame. This one is a 15-3, the 3 is easy to mistake for an 8.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Ranged weapon

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Ranged weapon

Reactions: Fitch
#12 ·
#14 ·
Well, I finally got it to the range today. This gun is a sweet shooter!! It is easy to control with 1 hand (which was my goal) and easy to get accurate, quick follow on shots. The only drawback is that it is not +P, so I have to use standard pressure SD rounds. I purchased some Buffalo Bore 20C 158 grain LSWHP rounds that should fill the bill.

#15 ·
Well done!

I think my wife was in favor of the Utah permits so we wouldn't stop in the parking lot of the Cabela's in Dundee MI each trip from PA and back to visit relatives in MI. Before I got the Utah permit I had to remove and lock up my carry gun before leaving PA for Ohio. I'd drive to the Cabela's and get a trip inside as a bonus when I got the gun back out, or locked it up on the return trip.

I can get in soooooooooo much trouble in a gun store ...

Fitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.