FI Model D .380 - parts & flaw

This is a discussion on FI Model D .380 - parts & flaw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought this thing new in 1974 as a boot gun when I was working for the Border Patrol in Miami and it looks like ...

Thread: FI Model D .380 - parts & flaw

I bought this thing new in 1974 as a boot gun when I was working for the Border Patrol in Miami and it looks like it, but that's beside the point.

Overall, I probably haven't put 500 rounds through it.

There's some discussion and commentary about this little piece on this site and others that we needn't repeat. Overall, I think it's a pretty good little pistol, of its type.

However ...

Flaw: Keep in mind it is a Browning design; it assembles approximately like a Gov't Model, with a barrel link held in place by the cross-pin of the slide lock.

Here's the problem: the slide lock pin is being bent to the rear by the barrel link. I'm no gunsmith, but it seems pretty clear to me that the link is what's bringing the rearward travel of the barrel to a stop by yanking hard on the slide lock pin just before the barrel bottoms out. Something is out of spec, apparently.

This is one of the few cases I know of where a gun has apparently solved its own problem; the bending has reached a stopping point. That's effective but it's just not elegant! Once upon a time I straightened it but it just did it again in a few rounds, so I quite messing with it. Any gunsmiths out there with a thought?

Now, for parts: I need a hammer pin. The original pin is a pretty cheesy construction, I must say. It is hollow and the safety detent spring and pin fit inside it. The pin extends through both sides of the frame and, to keep it from slipping clear through and out the right side, it has (had, now) a flange on the left end of the pin. That flange was apparently pressed and perhaps glued on, but it was not machined as a piece with the pin itself. Reason I know all that is because the flange has come off and the pin worked its way partly out the right side during a string of fire. The flange was held in place by the shield of the safety, so I recovered it when I disassembled the pistol.

Is there anyone out there who knows of a parts source for this thing? Not Bob's Gun Store of backwoods Arkansas. Near as I can tell, he doesn't answer email or faxes and he may not have a talking telephone, 'cause there's no number I can find.

Pilgrim

VIP Member
    These folks have a few parts and may be able to help, I have ordered from them before and yes they do have a working phone and internet. Good luck.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks for the link right to the exploded diagram. Who'd have guessed the piece I need is a "safety plunger," not a hammer pin?

In the nature of these things, that being a breakable part, they're sold out.

Pilgrim
    "Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority... There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster*

I have a couple thousand rounds thru mine and it works well. Guess I got a good one. Had it since 1977 and yes Numerich has the largest supply of parts for these gems. Look under star model d or dk in 380
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I have all the parts for a model D except the frame, also 2 magazines. The part you are talking about looks new. If you have not found the parts you are looking for I will give you my phone number and email address.

FI Model D

Quote Originally Posted by M60A1E2 View Post
    I have all the parts for a model D except the frame, also 2 magazines. The part you are talking about looks new. If you have not found the parts you are looking for I will give you my phone number and email address.

Hmmm... thought I responded to this last night, but no record of it, so here goes again.

I'm interested. Can you post a pic and price of all the parts (group photo is fine) to my email at kent@allabouthandguns.com. I might want to take the whole batch off your hands for a decent price.

Kent
    "Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority... There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster*

Sponsored Links