Pocket/BUG gun?

This is a discussion on Pocket/BUG gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ajgranda Thanks for the responses, but you stand corrected on one thing. [ Just noticed your tag line. I'm retired as well. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pocket/BUG gun?

Quote Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
    Thanks for the responses, but you stand corrected on one thing.

[
    Just noticed your tag line. I'm retired as well. You didn't tote a BUG on the job????

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member

I don't leave home without it.

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking of a backup gun to be carried in the pocket, maybe angle and maybe in a small fannypack (gym and beach). I've, pretty much down to three choices: Kahr P.380, Sig P380 SAS, S&W M&P 340 (no IL)/360. I feel the Sig has the best trigger (SA only), the J frame would be the most reliable and the Kahr possibly the easiest to carry in the Pocket. What are you opinions? Thanks
    I'm assuming the Sig P380 you mentioned is the Sig P238. I pocket carry that Sig and I've never had a problem. Some people dislike the idea of having a single action firearm in the pocket, but with the safety on and inside a good holster, that P238 is awesome.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    I'm assuming the Sig P380 you mentioned is the Sig P238. I pocket carry that Sig and I've never had a problem. Some people dislike the idea of having a single action firearm in the pocket, but with the safety on and inside a good holster, that P238 is awesome.

yes, I meant the P238 Sig, thanks. It does have the best trigger, by far.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Just noticed your tag line. I'm retired as well. You didn't tote a BUG on the job????

I did, but only when I worked on the "South Side". I carried an all steel .38 Chief in an ankle holster way back then (late 80s and 90s). Also whenever I worked nights or weekends. Got lazy towards the end of my career unfortunately, but at least I kept my vest on. You'd be surprised how many old timers sometimes don't. I also had a NAA .32acp, but obviously I didn't want that as a BUG. I would never have been able to pass a qualification course with that anyway. Whatever we carried we had to qualify with.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I bought a s+w bodyguard it only comes in 38spl ,it will take plus p ammo. I also carry ruger lcp380 in my front pocket.I couldn't find a 9mm whenm I bought it as ammo for this little beast is expensive 35 bucks for range ammo.I had some fun with it as I can hit a body target at a hundred yards with this pee shooter.As I approach 60 revolvers are more appealing as I have a security-six in 357 that I've shot alot since I put rubber grips on it.I need to buy a good holster for my 357 and my trusty old bulldog; 44 spl charter house I found at a gunshop located at Moosehead Lake headwaters for twohundred bucks.
    21 oz. empty

You'd be surprised how many old timers sometimes don't.
    No, I wouldn't. An old friend is LAPD retired; he was in five gunfights over his career, and told me he never felt the need for a BUG.

He has, however, recently purchased an M-442 to carry. Apparently, things are getting bad out there (but then, where is it NOT getting bad?) and his trusty old 6" K-38 is a mite large for comfortable concealed carry...

Since you have ruled out the LCP, I would also suggest you consider the Kahr CM9/PM9. Of course, a snubbie is also always a good choice. I've eyed the LCR myself - nice trigger.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I would think if you are wanting something that can be carried in a pocket, you'd want to go a bit smaller.. such as Taurus TCP 738, Ruger LCP, or Keltec P3AT.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

LCR357 fits my pockets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links