99% sure I've made my decision

This is a discussion on 99% sure I've made my decision within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been shopping around, and reading a LOT on the forum here, and I think I've made up my mind. I've decided on a S&W ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 99% sure I've made my decision

I've been shopping around, and reading a LOT on the forum here, and I think I've made up my mind. I've decided on a S&W Model 637 in .38 Special +P. If anyone can think of ANY reason why I'd be making a mistake, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Umm... No one really knows what you are using your handgun for, so... I'm not sure if anyone can really give you any input. If you are set on a wheelgun, there are a ton of options. I'm assuming this would be your primary carry?

The one thing I can recommend doing is... Go to a range and try some guns out. I was looking at an airweight s&w, then I went and shot it. I hated the recoil, and it was accurate out to about 7-10 yards. I really enjoyed the SP101, though. It was a little bigger, but it also had the bonus of shooting 357 rounds.

Give us some insight, and you will probably get some good feedback.

Oh, sorry about that. Yes, for the time being, this would be my primary carry. I haven't been able to find this model for rent at my local ranges, but I have held it in my hand and it fits nicely. I have a Taurus 4" in .357 mag, and I have no problems controlling it, even with hotter loads. I'm a fairly big guy, 6'1", 205 lbs. I'd love a .357 snub, just for the added weight and the option of the less expensive .38 special loads for the range. I'd be okay going up in size a bit, I haven't been around a SP101, but from what I've read about it, it does sound like a very good option for me. I'll have to check my local ranges to see if any of them have one to rent. Thank you for your input, and sorry for my incomplete post. Maybe I'm not quite 99% sure just yet. hehehe

I'll put in a plug for the SP101 in .327 magnum. Shoots four different .32 caliber bullets and is fun to shoot. You should try out this caliber and see what you think.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Any S&W revolver IMO............is good to go if you practice.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Great.

Personally, I have limited experience with revolvers. I don't own one, but I have shot several on many different occasions. Typically, the larger they are, the better they shoot (from my experience). I'm 5'11" 180 lbs, so you have some size on me. You might have a little more control of a smaller gun than I would. However, you also can probably conceal a slightly larger gun than I can.

The airweight smith guns are good guns. They are small enough to pocket carry, are ergonomically great, and have nice smooth actions. They also have a high amount of noticeable recoil and muzzle flash. I did not enjoy shooting them, at all.

Anything that is on a large frame, that I have shot, was amazing. Accurate, little noticeable recoil, stays on target, and has a smaller muzzle flash, and accurate as anything will ever get. The downside is, they do not conceal at all.

Personally, after shooting several models and sizes, I enjoyed the SP101 the most. It had an average muzzle flash, the recoil was very very manageable, and it is very concealable in a holster, and I thought it was very accurate. It is on my short list of guns to buy. I'm sure there are comparable guns in other brands. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Like I said earlier, the best thing you can do is hit the range. You won't ever really know until you can shoot the guns. Especially if you can shoot them in one session to compare the pro's and cons.

Lastly, after you get your gun, invest in a good holster and get a decent belt. If it's in your budget, I would recommend a gun belt. Here is a nice, opinionated thread about belts: Best Gun Belt for the Money

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Cool

Welcome to the forum.

As Lotus222 said it is always good to try out the types of guns you are looking to purchase especially if this is going to be your self defense firearm.

The S&W 637 is an airweight at 13.5 oz. and will be snappy with +p rounds.

I like steel snub nose revolvers and though they weigh a bit more they more than make up for it in helping to reduce felt recoil for me.

Two of my personal owned ones are the Ruger SP-101 .357 and the S&W 649 .38 spl.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Good luck in your search.

OS
    zacii likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Thank you all so much for your input and suggestions, they're all very much appreciated! Please keep them coming! The more I read, the more good things I hear about the SP101. Shame I'm not extremely wealthy, I could fill a gun safe pretty easily and not have to make a decision on just one.

GM
    I do not think you are making a mistake, but I prefer the 638 with shrouded hammer. Just be aware that an Airweight is not the best range gun.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    I also like the 638 shrouded hammer. I prefer the hammer type wheel guns not the hammerless dao only models. I think you will like any S&W product. I am please with mine.

The SP 101 sure is sweet! I'd like to get one of them.

I can't speak for the S&W Airweights (not that I wouldn't like to have one), but the SP101 is a sweet gun. I put a bunch of .357s through one just this morning. The 158 grains were a handful, but the 125 and 110 grain Golden Sabres and Winchester SJHP were both very manageable. I like it a lot.

why +p ammo if you want more then go to a 357 mag and you can step down to 38's

VIP Member
    The 637 is one of my favorites. Unlike many, I much prefer it over a 638. Double-action is good for self defense, but it's nice to have the option to touch off the light single-action trigger for some really surgical shooting.

I have a Smith & Wesson 360 in 357 magnum. It is a dream to carry but the recoil is STOUT. I would argue in favor of ANY S&W j-frame.

I agree with the above sentiment of trying to test out as many pistols as possible before "pulling the trigger." If you were remotely near St. Louis I would let you try mine... Do we have a forum member in your neck of the woods that has one?
    DanielC likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links