Calibers near 9mil for carrying - Page 2

Calibers near 9mil for carrying

This is a discussion on Calibers near 9mil for carrying within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sgb M&P 9c - the Mrs gun M&P 9C.....almost the perfect first gun. New shooters I loan mine at the range ususally ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Calibers near 9mil for carrying

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    M&P 9c - the Mrs gun

M&P 9C.....almost the perfect first gun. New shooters I loan mine at the range ususally buy their own. Two thumbs on this
    one WAAAAAY up.....and I carry Glocks.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Glock 19 or M&P 9

get you one of these, a holster from a reputable maker, and some professional training. Then you'll have a better understanding of carrying and shooting a pistol. Then you'll know better what you want in a carry piece.

don't let anyone fool you, with the right belt and holster, anyone can carry anything So don't settle for a smaller pistol if your only fear is the ability to conceal it.

commander size pistols are very easy to conceal and shoot for extended periods of time.

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepoll View Post
    And just my opinion, and I don't mean to try and start a flame up or hijack the thread, but I can't imagine any civilian defensive scenario where you empty 16 rounds and NOT go to jail.
    "Screw Pizza Hut!"; says Chuck Muth & Ronald Honeycutt!

"......just after he had made a delivery in a high-crime neighborhood in Indianapolis, a dirtball confronted Honeycutt with a loaded 9 mm handgun. At that point, Honeycutt pulled out his own 9 mm from the back of his pants and fired 15 times, hitting the would-be robber at least 10 times, killing him. "

The cops have since determined that Honeycutt acted in self-defense and will not face criminal charges.
    Mike1956 and MisterFleas like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    You really need to go to a range that rents guns,perferably with a buddy that maybe knows something about guns. Try a variety of guns, different calibers and styles. With small hands you probably need to shy away from double stack semi's. Don't discount revolvers many smaller handed people find them to be my comfortable in their hand and easier to shoot.

One other thing, don't buy the first gun that feels right. Keep looking and trying different ones. You'll know when it's right for you. Most people never buy the "right" gun as their first.

The bersa thunder is a great gun for the money. I have one and carry it from time to time. Go with what fits your hand well. I am to a smallish guy I also have a springfield xdsc 9mm and shoot it well and really like it. But for summer weather Im looking into the slim 9mm pistols such as walther pps taurus slim beretta nano and others. And Ive always liked the 9mm for some strange reason or another. Good luck with your choice.

I too have relatively small hands. Check out a weapon with a single stack magazine for a slightly smaller grip. Also consider a heavier weapon, it makes shooting much easier because the weight helps tame the recoil. A Sig P239 might be worth looking at, but it's not one of the cheaper brands.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_punk View Post
    i was looking at the bersa .380 any thoughts
    Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact is 13+1 capacity, well built, and heavy enough to be very comfortable to shoot. They are very reasonably priced and under-rated. The .380 Bersa is also a very nice shooting gun. Smooth. The new Bersa BP9cc is a single stack 9mm. I have not shot one, but I have handled them in the store and they seem to get great reviews. Bersa makes great guns and they are inexpensive but not "cheap". Hope that helps.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The 9mm Glock is my personal favorite, but the S&W M&P in a 9mm also fits the bill for me.

Same advice from me. I own both and I like both.

9mm has plenty of power. There is no need to go bigger, you can get high performance 9mm ammo if you want to. If you really want to go with a bigger caliber I would suggest the .45 Auto. It is easier to shoot than the .40, I would skip the .40 all together especially in smaller compact pistols.

I know you are looking for an auto but how about 9mm in a gun so easy to control you think it's a 22.

Chiappa Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    With a general question such as this, you will get as many opinions as there are members. Try to find a gun shop / range in your area that will rent guns for you to try on the range. Find one or two that fit your hand, then load them up and see how they shoot for you. What works for one person will not necessarily work for you. Good luck.
    While excellent advice I know my LGS costs close to $45 to shoot one gun and another $15 plus ammo to shoot another. If the OP is looking for an ” inexpensive” (not cheap) gun, I doubt he has $70 or so dollars to spend just to practice and see if he even likes the firearm.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Family first, that's why I carry.

Kahr CM9

M&P Compact

Both American made

Both very reliable
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

You might also look at the CZ 82. They are Military/Police pistols from Czech Republic. They show holster wear but other than that are in excellent condition. Double stack magazine holds 12 rounds, giving you a 12+1 capability. They are chambered in 9mm Makarov.

C&R Guns
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

So many options many over priced over hyped some not.
    Ruger offers a long line of good ones so does S&W. all good US made cost effective weapons.
    Don't discount revolvers to quickly nothing wrong with a good CC 38SP.
    you need to find one you will carry the wrong one will stay at home after a while.
    You must learn to use what ever you buy.

The recoil between a 9 and a 380 is pretty darn close. A bigger, heavier weapon is what will likely make the difference in recoil.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Your choice seems reasonable. A 9mm is a very good choice, especially for those who cannot shoot a revolver well or have weak hands that inhibit a smooth DA trigger stroke.

Since simplicity and ease of operation seem to be the main criteria for you, I would recommend any of the safe action striker fired auto pistols. One can learn to shoot them to a mediocre degree of profieciency without too much trouble, they are uncomplicated, and well suited for the degree of pistol craft mediocrity that most subscribe to this day and age.

For the new pistolaro, they are perfect. With a high capacity magazine, even the determined greenhorn can play the law of averages with a high probability of at least hitting something with one of the 10-17 rounds at his/her disposal.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links