Calibers near 9mil for carrying

This is a discussion on Calibers near 9mil for carrying within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. I am currently shopping for a CCW. it will be a semi-auto but i really haven't found a model or brand yet. i ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Calibers near 9mil for carrying

Hello everyone. I am currently shopping for a CCW. it will be a semi-auto but i really haven't found a model or brand yet. i am a smaller man with small hands so a 44 is out for me. i love the feel of a 9 mil but i also know there are dozens of other sizes around that. i don't want to go too much bigger but a little is ok. i just don't want something that's gonna hurt to shoot. i'm also kinda limited on my price and i know that larger calibers tend to have more expensive guns. i have been looking at one brand and they mainly deal with 9 mil and .380. any other suggestions? want something powerful but not gonna hurt me as i shoot it. thanks in advance

VIP Member
    The 9mm Glock is my personal favorite, but the S&W M&P in a 9mm also fits the bill for me.
    zonker1986 likes this.

i was looking at the bersa .380 any thoughts

And if you want super easy to conceal the Kahr CW9, with a Hogue Handall Jr grip added is (to me) a perfect daily concealed carry weapon.

I love it.

The sister round of the 9mm is the .38 special. That puts you into revolver territory.

Try out the Ruger LC9 and SR9c. Those aren't your only options, but they are affordable and tank reliable. Look at your Smith and Wesson options. And, from my position of bias, skip Glock and the other weird European offerings.

When you try to throw a revolver-worth of bullets downrange, and then try sending down 18 rounds fast as you can pull the trigger, a lot of things come into perspective.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Bersa is a solid gun.... I carry .380 often. Keep looking and handling different guns until you find one that really feels right in your hand.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    ...then try sending down 18 rounds fast as you can pull the trigger, a lot of things come into perspective.
    And just my opinion, and I don't mean to try and start a flame up or hijack the thread, but I can't imagine any civilian defensive scenario where you empty 16 rounds and NOT go to jail.

sgb
    M&P 9c - the Mrs gun

hogdaddy, zonker1986 and Sebass like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Kahr CM9.

recently started carrying as well - 9mm was the round of choice for me for a couple of reasons - I am comfortable with it's ability and it is affordable relative to other calibers, including the 380. For me the 'ammo war' was won by the ability of me to practice on a regular basis and become comfortable with my chosen sidearm.
    As for gun - Glock 26 is my EDC, (but if had to do over would seriously look at the 19) with a full size XDm for the majority of time at the range, and the time I am able to carry a larger gun due to dress etc., and a S&W 38 special for the times I just have to go smaller and srop it in my pocket, although I am not nearly as proficient with it.
    I had an LC9 for a short time and although liked the size, quality and reliability of the gun it just didn't work for me. Never could get get comfortable with shooting it. For me it came down to being more comforted by my ability with a slightly larger gun than the small trade off of carrying a thinner/smaller gun. I know this doesn't give specific answers to what will work best for you, but only you will know that. Rent/borrow/beg as many as you can before you purchase and know that the size isn't everything - you will get used to carrying a bigger gun quicker than you think and your the comfort it provides based on your ability with it will likely outweigh a few extra ounces on your belt. Heard it said many times - guns are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable - I believe that wholeheartedly.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    M&P 9c - the Mrs gun

I would second this or a Glock 26. I recommend the Glock 26. A cheesehead can probably get away with a Glock 19 as its usually jacket weather in part of your state. Where are you located? My sister moved to Milwaukee and most of my friends are moving out there. I am a former Illinois resident myself but I went somewhere else.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepoll View Post
    And just my opinion, and I don't mean to try and start a flame up or hijack the thread, but I can't imagine any civilian defensive scenario where you empty 16 rounds and NOT go to jail.
    I try not to leave things to the imagination. Is a civilian defensive scenario one where there aren't any active duty military personnel around?
    21bubba likes this.

Check out the Ruger LC9, can be had for around $325.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I would second this or a Glock 26. I recommend the Glock 26. A cheesehead can probably get away with a Glock 19 as its usually jacket weather in part of your state. Where are you located? My sister moved to Milwaukee and most of my friends are moving out there. I am a former Illinois resident myself but I went somewhere else.
    I'm in Ohio, and wear a 19 under a T-shirt and cargo shorts all summer long. The 17 takes just a bit more to similarly conceal.

With a general question such as this, you will get as many opinions as there are members. Try to find a gun shop / range in your area that will rent guns for you to try on the range. Find one or two that fit your hand, then load them up and see how they shoot for you. What works for one person will not necessarily work for you. Nine mm is a great all-around caliber with proper ammo. .380's have a not-so-good reputation in real life and death situations, and the .40 is an excellent self defense caliber, but the recoil can be a bit "snappy." Good luck.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links