Get that Must Have Gun SOONER rather than Later

This is a discussion on Get that Must Have Gun SOONER rather than Later within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a "preview of coming attractions" comment about the post-election (November 2012) economy. I recall when Jimmy Carter was president and the absolute mess ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Get that Must Have Gun SOONER rather than Later

Get that Must Have Gun SOONER rather than Later

This is a "preview of coming attractions" comment about the post-election (November 2012) economy.

I recall when Jimmy Carter was president and the absolute mess he made of our economy. Economists had to invent a relatively unheard of term: stagflation. That was because we had a stagnant economy with unprecedented inflation--previously, it was considered impossible to have a slow economy AND inflation at the same time. OK, enough of the flashbacks.

We are now in the midst of what I see as a clamped down, stifled economy. Prior to this, we have all witnessed record setting spending by President Obama. Normally, when you have run-away spending, that triggers high rates of inflation. However, with our stifled economy, inflation does not yet have a chance to get ignited.

Once the economy gets started on an upward trend--Katy bar the door!!!

Sooooo, when the inflation does get started, it may be historically high for the USA--and we will have a new President. Guess who will be blamed for that inflation???

Anyway, do not wait for the inflation to get started. If you have a short list of must have firearms--or other key items--please do what you can to purchase those items sooner rather than later. Because once the inflation gets going, the prices will be running away from you!

2. Remove Ads

Not only guns and ammo, but stock up on other things that won't lose their value, and buy gold and silver. Hyperinflation is coming- aside from the deficit, just look at the money the Fed is printing and giving out.

Or we could elect Ron Paul to fix it all...

VIP Member
    Not bad advice. Inflation is most certainly coming. It's the most likely way that our business-clueless politicians will look to reduce the national debt.

I've taken myself down to bare-minimum cash reserves (that money isn't going to be worth much in 5-10 years), and put it into land investments (and of course, a new M4 ).

Good advice. Other things to consider are the challenges to the second amendment that could come if Obama were to get re-elected. Justices Scalia and Kennedy are getting up there (both 75) and could retire in the next 5 years. With two more appointments from Obama, we'd be left with 4 ultra-liberal and anti-gun Supreme court justices and possibly an "un-incorporation" of the second amendment under the 14th amendment. I.e. no guns. Buy 'em now!
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

I am not personally worried about short-term hyper-inflation. But I am worried about long term inflation. That is why I don't really keep much cash. In fact, I'm pretty much broke now. We just took all of our savings (except our 401K's) and built several new rooms to our home. I'm hoping to be done with that nightmare by this weekend.. it has been a hard 2 months. I have tried to take all of the rest of our cash an invest it in material objects, such as antique firearms, etc. I figure even if I'm wrong, and inflation doesn't happen, investing in things like my home and other goods known to appreciate in value are good investments.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I am buying guns and ammo as fast as I can. I have never had a gun depreciate. Cash in the bank,,, not so much!
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

I guess with the elections the whole "no political discussion" thing erodes a little?

At any rate, I truly don't think the SCOTUS dynamic will change any time soon. The oldest Justice is actually Ginsburg at 78, and she obviously falls on the left side of the ideological spectrum. Assuming a second term for President Obama, I could see her retiring in the next four years but that would maintain the status quo. Not only is she the oldest of the sitting Supremes, but there have been all sorts of speculation about her apparent frailty and overall health the last few years.

I don't see Kennedy or Scalia going anywhere in the next four years, despite their each being 75. Both are in good health and have critical impacts on the Court's jurisprudence (Scalia has long been one of the Court's most clearly heard voices, and Kennedy has arguably been the most critical vote on the Court over the last decade as the proverbial "swing" vote). Besides that, generally speaking the Justices have historically been pretty good about timing their retirements to coincide with a climate that would lead to an appointee of similar ideological ilk replacing them. These are highly coveted positions that are not vacated lightly to begin with, and the Justices are well aware of the ideological and political dynamics surrounding appointments and the like.

Cliff's Notes? I think the SCOTUS shift angle is overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    I think the SCOTUS shift angle is overblown.
    I agree. It is something to keep on the radar though
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    I am buying guns and ammo as fast as I can. I have never had a gun depreciate. Cash in the bank,,, not so much!
    I don't know. I must be doing something wrong. I have recently sold a few guns to finance new ones. The ones I sold, traded-in actually were 20-30 yr. old safe queens, some never fired. I was lucky to get what I paid for them 30-30 yrs. ago. I keep hearing about what good investments guns are, but to me they are like cars and boats. Unless you can buy them at unbelievably low prices, I don't see how you can make any money.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I don't know. I must be doing something wrong. I have recently sold a few guns to finance new ones. The ones I sold, traded-in actually were 20-30 yr. old safe queens, some never fired. I was lucky to get what I paid for them 30-30 yrs. ago. I keep hearing about what good investments guns are, but to me they are like cars and boats. Unless you can buy them at unbelievably low prices, I don't see how you can make any money.
    I think the "traded in" part is the key here. Obviously you were selling them at wholesale prices. Had you put them up on Gun Broker or sold them directly at a gunshow or something, then you would have probably gotten closer to their actual value. Obviously the store you traded the guns into expects to resell those guns at a profit.

Obviously some guns are worth more than others. For example, I don't see my Glock 19 appreciating much in value since people can still buy brand new ones. But WWII era guns, for example, become more valuable every year.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Guns are the least of my concerns. And, I have always found that people sell guns to make ends meet during hard times when they realize guns don't pay utility bills or put braces on their kids teeth.
    So, I see the glass as half full.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I can see getting those "must have" staple pieces now, but increasing a collection not so much. I think Americans living beyond their means and being a little too materialistic has had a part and leading us to this problem. (Government spending beyond means especially) I also do not carry cash and have no savings on purpose these days. Worse case if inflation goes insane I have a number of high credit line cards with no balances I can use if I need something.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    ...I figure even if I'm wrong, and inflation doesn't happen, investing in things like my home and other goods known to appreciate in value are good investments.
    Investing in my home has always been a great idea until the last 4 years. I lost $50K on the house I just sold (it was paid off, so it wasn't a mortgage issue), but of course the house I bought after I moved I bought at a depressed price too (actually the same exact thing that I sold my other house for and it is valued from an insurance perspective much higher than the other). I guess that stuff works itself out over time, but the hits are hard to take at the time.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Over the last several years when people were selling handguns when in tight spots, I only bought them when I got a really good deal on them. Recently, buddies started offering me a lot more for some of those guns than I paid for them (1.5 to 2 times as much) and I've let them go. They've been the only investments getting good returns for me lately, but I was very particular about what I bought and how much I paid.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

ZeroHedge | On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero stuff as the head of the largest mutual fund on the planet speaks...shortly after this it was revealed that US central bank's (JPm/Chase andGoldSacks) want negative interest rates...meaning holders of US sovern bonds (T note) would pay for the privilage of counterfiting more Fed funny money .....It is a certainty that many many banks will fail, and all currencys on the planet are being devalued by thier issuers, as fast as they can...guns, ammo, precious metals, food, gasoline all good to have now... And not for nothing..Bill Gross admits that he is as clueless as we are regarding whatsnext, being that TPTB have lost thier minds....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links