SR9C versus XDM45C range report

This is a discussion on SR9C versus XDM45C range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all, it's been a while since I posted here. a while back I started a few threads asking what would be the best gun ...

Thread: SR9C versus XDM45C range report

hello all, it's been a while since I posted here. a while back I started a few threads asking what would be the best gun for concealed carry and you guys helped me decide that the SR9C as the most likely candidate but when I finally got back home on some leave time my LGS had an XDM45 compact. my XDM45 full size has been wanting a little brother for a while so in a wild frenzy of hemorrhaging bank accounts I bought both.

first the XDM,
    it is quite a bit blockier than the SR9 but height and length are almost identical with only a slight increase in width, coupled with the ammo capacity of 9 over the SR9 which has the capacity of 10 in 9mm, I would say the XDM is definitely a good gun for the guys who don't feel comfortable packing anything smaller.

Straight out of the box it fired 150 rounds of 230 grain federal champion FMJs without a hiccup. I switched to 185gr magtech guardian gold +P hollow points and fired 9 from the 9 round mag and 11 from the 13 round mag. the +Ps were a lot snappier but offered no greater discomfort over a featherweight 38sp revolver. After that I switched over to 150 rounds of magtech gold box 230gr FMJs and had 2 failure to feeds in the last 50 rounds but determined that the problem was with the magazine which had been used extensively with my XDM45 full sized and required cleaning.

It is very comfortable to shoot. Recoil management is a little less efficient than with the 4.5 model but accuracy is very similar. In the first few rounds I had issues grouping with it and most of my groups were straying to the left but by the end of 100 rounds I was able to hit a 12" steel plate at 45 yards with about 60% success, a very nice group for me with anything short of a long slide match gun.

now for the SR9C,
    Straight out of the box(no I didn't clean out the large ammount of packing grease) I grabbed a 25 round box of sellier and bellot 115gr FMJs and 25 rounds of coffee can reloads of an unknown origin(seriously I don't know where they came from). The S&B ran flawlessly but the coffee can ammo had 4 fails to fire. Repeated loading through multiple guns failed to make them go off so I'm not sure if they were light strikes or duds. I removed the magazine disconnect which isn't the 30 second job it is made out to be but still accomplished with a 15 minute trip to youtube and a few replays of a 5 minute movie using a pencil and a paper clip as tools.

back to the field and 25 more coffee can reloads, 50 rounds of 3D remanufacturing(never heard of them but I got a few hundred rounds from a friend), 10 rounds of winchester 147gr SXT, 200 rounds of BVAC 115gr, 50 rounds of speer 123grs and 50 rounds of 115 grain UMCs and not a single malfunction to speak of. after this semi decent gambit of mostly factory reloads I opened it up for it's first cleaning and I must say I've never seen a dirtier handgun, I am really surprised that it even functioned at all.

I still am drifting a few inches to the left at 15 yards with it but they are tight groups and they tend to drift back to point of aim after a few dozen rounds so I'm not convinced that the problem is not me. with the finger groove floor plate for the magazine and the inverted backstrap it is almost a perfect fit for my hands and is perfectly balanced, the 17 round magazine tends to make it back heavy but in a 9mm I'm not all that upset. I bought it new years eve and it is already the envy of my friends and family and is the most fun handgun in my collection.

now for the bad and the ugly.
    The XDM, though it came with all the usual XDM goodies, does not have a finger groove plate for the 9 round magazine. I can still shoot it accurately with my pinky dangling but it is still a little disconcerting. Another thing which is pretty much implied is the noise. all 45s are going to be loud but I honestly cant imagine having to use this without hearing protection no less in a confined space, IE home defense.

the SR9C has a complicated take down, I'm pretty much spoiled with XDMs anyway since you flip a switch release the slide and it's already in 2 pieces but this was just a little odd, having to press the ejector down and use a punch to remove the takedown pin is just a strange concept to me. Also the loaded chamber indicator is insanely HUGE! I know a lot of people complain about the ones on XDMs but the SR9s is a good 4 times larger than that.

all in all both of these are beautiful specimens that I am fully prepared to trust my life with, I bought a couple supertucks for them but I failed to take into account that if I'm wearing IWB at 6-ish I need a left handed holster and I accidentially ordered righthanded holsters so I'm going to have to decide whether I want to pay to have crossbreed alter them or if I just want to suck it up and wear at 12 oclock.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Thanks for your report and comments!

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

not a problem

I carry an SR9C it is an outstanding weapon and Value

I have a sr9c also love my gun but I only have two Rugers so take down for me is easy and fast.

like I said, it was complicated for me but that's just because I'm used to a 3 step takedown on XDMs, lock slide back, flip lever up, release slide, the ruger just added having to push the ejector down and the takedown pin has to be completely removed.

The Glock & XD have a super easy take down. The SR9C is a bit more involved; I went for the SR9C because of the trigger. OMG the trigger is so nice from the factory, I am assuming since it has a manual safety the lawyers over their at Ruger let such a nice trigger go in a small frame firearm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    The Glock & XD have a super easy take down. The SR9C is a bit more involved; I went for the SR9C because of the trigger. OMG the trigger is so nice from the factory, I am assuming since it has a manual safety the lawyers over their at Ruger let such a nice trigger go in a small frame firearm like this.
    They are able to do it because of the trigger safety the system works well .

Links