Defensive Carry banner

Filling a gap in handgun lineup

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Yankeejib 
#1 ·
I don't believe in buying the same basic gun twice so I wouldn't buy, say, a G19 and a SA XD9 (others might, YMMV). That said, there is a gap in my carry gun options. Aside from my two "house guns" (Ruger Security Six and P85), here's what I currently have and carry...

STI Trojan SS 1911 (full size) - 45ACP
Sig P229 - 40S&W
Kahr K40 - 40S&W
Ruger SP101 (2.25 in) - 357 Win mag.

Given that I'd like to have a nice array of handguns as carry options, I'm considering two possible paths:
1. Get a nice 9mm - G19, H&K P30, or Walther PPQ are the options in the running, or...
2. Get a pocket handgun - S&W M&P 340 and Kahr PM9 are the options in the running.

I'm currently thinking that the 9's I mentioned basically "overlap" with my K40 as far as size/carryability goes (the benefit of a 9 being greater capacity, of course). So, right now, I'm favoring a pocket handgun, because (1) I think I'd carry it a lot (and not in substitution of one of my existing firearms - my minimal overlap rule) and (2) a pocket handgun fills a more obvious gap in my current carry rotation. A pocket handgun is also "more different" in that, unlike the other firearms I've mentioned, it doesn't need to be holstered, other than pocket holstered. BTW, I do realize that this is more a "want" matter than a "need" matter... but I know you'll understand - LOL.

My bottom line is that I think I'll go with the S&W M&P 340 as my next purchase. To me, this seems like a no regrets move. But I could be wrong... Opinions?

See less See more
#3 ·
A pocket j-frame is a great idea. You'll probably end up carrying it more than you think. The 340 is a fine gun, if you don't mind the stout recoil with .357 loads. You may want to consider some of the Airweights (642, 442, 638, 438, etc.). A couple of ounces does help with recoil (as well as good grips).

#4 ·
I'll second the J-Frame, nothing like a small S&W revolver.

#11 ·
I will give you a big thumbs up on the Walther PPQ I bought for my wife but though about hiding it and keeping it for my self it is a great handgun and shoots very very well. Great control great capacity the grip palm swell is interchangeable and it makes for fitting the gun to you a snap. The price is good too.

#12 ·
A Bond Derringer (.45 Colt/.410 ga. 000-buckshot) is just one more thought to consider for something very small, easy to carry and extremely effective. Only has two single-action shots, but they ain't like gettin' hit with a whole magazine full of pea-shooter rounds.

Since "self defense" generally depends on one, reasonably-placed, extremely effective shot at very close range, it's pretty tough to beat two "hand-cannon" rounds unless you're going into combat (or can't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle) and need a dozen or more lesser-effective rounds to get the job done.

Auto part Metal Brass Automotive piston

#19 ·
Full size 9mm? Carry-able, inexpensive ammo, effective round, 15-21 round mags, easy on the hands, accurate, great follow-ups.

You realize of course, I'm coaching myself here.

Reactions: yooperdug
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.