Filling a gap in handgun lineup

This is a discussion on Filling a gap in handgun lineup within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't believe in buying the same basic gun twice so I wouldn't buy, say, a G19 and a SA XD9 (others might, YMMV). That ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Filling a gap in handgun lineup

I don't believe in buying the same basic gun twice so I wouldn't buy, say, a G19 and a SA XD9 (others might, YMMV). That said, there is a gap in my carry gun options. Aside from my two "house guns" (Ruger Security Six and P85), here's what I currently have and carry...

STI Trojan SS 1911 (full size) - 45ACP
    Sig P229 - 40S&W
    Kahr K40 - 40S&W
    Ruger SP101 (2.25 in) - 357 Win mag.

Given that I'd like to have a nice array of handguns as carry options, I'm considering two possible paths:
    1. Get a nice 9mm - G19, H&K P30, or Walther PPQ are the options in the running, or...
    2. Get a pocket handgun - S&W M&P 340 and Kahr PM9 are the options in the running.

I'm currently thinking that the 9's I mentioned basically "overlap" with my K40 as far as size/carryability goes (the benefit of a 9 being greater capacity, of course). So, right now, I'm favoring a pocket handgun, because (1) I think I'd carry it a lot (and not in substitution of one of my existing firearms - my minimal overlap rule) and (2) a pocket handgun fills a more obvious gap in my current carry rotation. A pocket handgun is also "more different" in that, unlike the other firearms I've mentioned, it doesn't need to be holstered, other than pocket holstered. BTW, I do realize that this is more a "want" matter than a "need" matter... but I know you'll understand - LOL.

My bottom line is that I think I'll go with the S&W M&P 340 as my next purchase. To me, this seems like a no regrets move. But I could be wrong... Opinions?

Im not seeing a .22-I do a ton of shooting with my ruger 22/45. cheap,good clean fun!
    bmcgilvray, msgt/ret and candalos like this.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

A pocket j-frame is a great idea. You'll probably end up carrying it more than you think. The 340 is a fine gun, if you don't mind the stout recoil with .357 loads. You may want to consider some of the Airweights (642, 442, 638, 438, etc.). A couple of ounces does help with recoil (as well as good grips).

I'll second the J-Frame, nothing like a small S&W revolver.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

As for carry my first pocket gun was a 38 snub and am now buying a lcp but I found the revolvers to be to bulky. I don't where really tight pants but they aren't baggy in any way. The lcp fit the bill for me. And everyone should have a .22 pistol I have a 22/45 love it.
    yooperdug likes this.

Oh,I see you are after more carry gun options.Scratch the 22 then. J frame 357.I have a taurus 605-

I guess Im one of the few happy taurus owners by the sounds of it these days..
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    You will love the Glock 19. Also the M&P will be a great choice. I prefer the consistent trigger pull of striker fired pistols, but this is personal preference.

I've NEVER regretted buying a snubbie. Great all around carry piece. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
    yooperdug likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Agreed on the snubbie.. you will get one eventually anyway.

Agree on the Snubbie, but also on the .22LR, but also 9mm is inexpensive to shoot also compared to .40S&W. Although, why not consider the S&W M&P9c?
    Porp likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I will give you a big thumbs up on the Walther PPQ I bought for my wife but though about hiding it and keeping it for my self it is a great handgun and shoots very very well. Great control great capacity the grip palm swell is interchangeable and it makes for fitting the gun to you a snap. The price is good too.

A Bond Derringer (.45 Colt/.410 ga. 000-buckshot) is just one more thought to consider for something very small, easy to carry and extremely effective. Only has two single-action shots, but they ain't like gettin' hit with a whole magazine full of pea-shooter rounds.

Since "self defense" generally depends on one, reasonably-placed, extremely effective shot at very close range, it's pretty tough to beat two "hand-cannon" rounds unless you're going into combat (or can't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle) and need a dozen or more lesser-effective rounds to get the job done.

SNV30005.jpg

I'd go with a Walther PPS 9mm. It is small, accurate and surprisingly not much recoil. If you think you want something bigger, get the PPQ you stated above.

Option 1. I'd go with the P30 but all considered are great.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate hearing the various opinions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links