xdm 3.8 or m&p your thoughts

This is a discussion on xdm 3.8 or m&p your thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was wondering what other would recommend. Have not held a m&p, have shot a xd 3.8. From some of the stuff I have read looks ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By C hawk Glock
  • 1 Post By xeero

Thread: xdm 3.8 or m&p your thoughts

xdm 3.8 or m&p your thoughts

Was wondering what other would recommend. Have not held a m&p, have shot a xd 3.8. From some of the stuff I have read looks like it's 50-50. All ready have a Glock 19 3rd. gen so no need to say to get that. thanks for any thoughts
    .45 Kimber Raptor

2. Remove Ads

Both are excellent guns. The only way the XD(m) with the 3.8" barrel makes sense to me is if you get it in the compact model with both the short and extended magazines. I don't see the point of the 3.8 with the fixed long grip. I would go with the 4.5 if I were not to get the compact. Those two in my opinion serve two different purposes.

I personally think the M&P is a better value (about $100 less) and is a bit underrated.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

i wasnt a fan of the hinged trigger on the M&P so i went xdm 45c. i really like the gun. shoots great.

i doubt you can go wrong with either

VIP Member
    I HAD an Xdm9 3.8 compact...... I still own the M&P......
    shjourdan likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I love just about any XD I have ever shot but I agree with shjoudan, the 3.8 model doesn't make much sense since it still has the full grip length. I own the 3.8 compact in .45 and it is my go to gun for concealed carry. I've never held or shot a compact M&P but all of the full sized M&Ps I've shot had the sloppiest triggers imaginable. it seemed like they never broke at the same point and it was impossible to tell when the reset, requiring me to fully take my finger off the trigger to ensure it had reset. from a few queries I've made the compacts have the same triggers as the full sized so unless you are planning on dropping in an APEX trigger kit is too much hassle in for a CCW gun IMHO.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

I should have specified compact. My brother has 1 and I liked it, but was just curious how it compared to the m&pc. I like that it has the 2 magazines. I shot well with it. Hadn't held the M&Pc yet. C hawk Glock was there anything specific u like about the M&P over the XD
    .45 Kimber Raptor

Both are good

I decided on the M&P 45 c
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I agree that 3.8 doesnt make sense unless its compact grips. My vote ia M&Pc. If you get the full size mags with extender grip, you have two guns in one. If you get the M&P 40c, you can get 357SIG and 9mm aftermarket barrel (9mm will require mags too if you want it tp run 100%) and have several options if ammo is in short supply or want to shoot diff stuff

My vote ia M&Pc. If you get the full size mags with extender grip, you have two guns in one. If you get the M&P 40c, you can get 357SIG and 9mm aftermarket barrel (9mm will require mags too if you want it tp run 100%) and have several options if ammo is in short supply or want to shoot diff stuff
    XDM compacts have all the same features, I might add that the XDM has 3 different sized of grip extensions to match whatever size of back strap you use.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Both are good, but I prefer the M&P. Feels better in the hand. Made in USA.
    stevez likes this.

VIP Member
    M&P because I'm not a big fan of the top heavy XD line.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

sgb
    The Mrs went with the M&P 9c
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I have both and love them, but at the end of the day, the M&P 40c is the one I carry daily.

I currently have an XDm 5.25 9mm and an M&P40c, so here is my opinion. The stock XDm trigger is absolute garbage and the worst of the "big 3" (glock, m&p, xd/m). It has a lot of pre and over travel. Its not hard to stage it for target shooting, but for what it costs I would expect the trigger to be better. I installed a powder river precision trigger in mine as its strictly a range/competition gun and couldnt be happier. The bore axis of the springfields is a bit higher than the m&p, up to you whether you like it or not. In my opinion, the m&p has better ergonomics and fits so nicely in the hand. I actually traded a Glock 23 for the m&p because it felt so good. The trigger on the smith feels very light even though it has a heavier pull of 6.5lbs I think (might be wrong on the weight), but it feels lighter than the Glock or stock XDm. However it doesnt have a very pronounced reset.

The sights on the regular models is a draw. Looks (if they matter) is a matter of opinion, but few guns look as cool to me as the XDm. Reliability would be a draw as well. So really it comes down to which one feels better in your hand and allows your to naturally point better. For a carry gun this is very important as it will just be "draw and shoot" if you ever have to use it. A gun that naturally points straight for you will produce more kill shots. A few millimeteres of variation to the left or right in your hand can mean a few inches on the target. And regardless of what people tell you, 2 inches to the left or right (especially with a handgun) is a very big deal. If anything, you want to miss up and down (not left and right) to hit that aorta that runs the length of your torso. Missing left or right means hitting a lung, which is not a drop em on the spot shot, or hitting the old lady down the street.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would definitly recomend shooting both before deciding. I didn't like the trigger on the M&P. I love my XDm 3.8. It really depends on what feels and points/shoots best for you.
    Walk softly ...

Links