New .45 Pistol - Is It the Last? - Page 2

New .45 Pistol - Is It the Last?

This is a discussion on New .45 Pistol - Is It the Last? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; very nice,congrats...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New .45 Pistol - Is It the Last?

very nice,congrats

OD*
    That is odd about the ammo, can't say I've ever heard of horizontal stringing quite like that before?
    I'm sure Wilson's list is fairly reliable, he spent a lot of time at Colt, before he went to prison.

Besides the rollmarkings making me think it's a mid-1947 gun, are the Coltwood stocks on it, Colt had started using the "Coltwood" stocks with the Rampant Colt logo by July of '47.

You've got a keeper, Bryan.

I was teasing you about selling the 1950, it's probably one I'll keep along time
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

There is nothing IMHO that compares to a gov't model 1911. Congrats sir. Its a beautiful pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    That is odd about the ammo, can't say I've ever heard of horizontal stringing quite like that before?
    I'm sure Wilson's list is fairly reliable, he spent a lot of time at Colt, before he went to prison.

Besides the rollmarkings making me think it's a mid-1947 gun, are the Coltwood stocks on it, Colt had started using the "Coltwood" stocks with the Rampant Colt logo by July of '47.

You've got a keeper, Bryan.

I was teasing you about selling the 1950, it's probably one I'll keep along time

Of all people, you! Stringing me along like that! Well I never...

But seriously now...
    I really do like the fact that it still has it's original factory stocks. Only problem is, I don't really enjoy their feel when shooting the gun. I'm a bit concerned about cracking one. The left panel will not stay tightened and the right panel is so warped it can hardly be removed and replaced on the pistol. I've read of Coltwood famous propensity for shrinking over the years and am thinking it's true. Only trouble is, I've also read that once they are removed from a gun they shrink to a point where they won't be re-installed. Guess that's more than only one problem.

I could store them on another 1911 and replace them for using purposes with a set of dark checkered walnut panels. Which is what I'm thinking I'll do.

Odd thing this Coltwood. I have a Colt Commando with original Coltwood stocks. They seem inert. Dimensions haven't changed as far as I can tell.

Yeah, it's weird that the light 200 grain lead round nose load impacts about 8 inches to the left of the ball equivalent load. Oh well, we'll feed it 230 grain or else aim to the right with light bullets.

Thanks y'all for the compliments on the new pistol! Makes a person feel like handing out cigars or something.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Odd thing this Coltwood. I have a Colt Commando with original Coltwood stocks. They seem inert. Dimensions haven't changed as far as I can tell.
    You know Bryan, I'd bet money there were at least two recipes for Coltwood, I've never seen USGI Coltwood stocks shrink, but I had a 1949 and the stocks started shrinking while still on the pistol (that I have seen a number of times), while the stocks on the 1950 still look new.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Thanks OD*!

Your experiences bear out what I'm observing with these stocks. There may have been different recipes for Coltwood. I've had several WWII contract 1911A1 pistols around here over the years and have been around even more and their stocks seemed as good as the day they were first assembled to the pistols. The Commando stocks are a bit lighter in hue than these on this 1947 gun. Then Colt had the variation with the green swirls in them. I always thought those looked sort of neato but never owned a gun so equipped.

I guess that's the 1950 gun that you wouldn't sell me. It's awfully nice!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    I gotta agree with you, Bryan, there were a number of variations of Coltwood. Those used on the Super .38s, always looked to me to have more of a reddish tint with more "grain" (for lack of a better term), I would love to find a "good" set of those. Yep, that's the 1950.

I was thinking about the hammer on your Colt, and this is just a wild ----- guess. Since the grip safety was pinned in such a professional manner, I'd guess that the owner at the time was a shooter, possibly using a high hold and not depressing the grip safety every-time, so I wonder then if the owner may have suffered from hammer bite and had started to "bob" the hammer? I know some reading this will think I'm crazy, that the high thumb hold is a "modern" development, it wasn't. If you have a copy of Colt's exhibition shooter, John Henry (Fitz) FitzGerald's book "Shooting", you'll see a number of shooters using a "high thumb" hold.

When these guns are left "UNMOLESTED",they are absolutely beautiful, Did I say that out loud? What is wrong with me.........
    OD* and bmcgilvray like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links