New .45 Pistol - Is It the Last?

This is a discussion on New .45 Pistol - Is It the Last? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Early last year about this time I first thought of acquiring another 1911 type pistol. It was suppose to happen sometime during the one hundredth ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New .45 Pistol - Is It the Last?

New .45 Pistol - Is It the Last?

Early last year about this time I first thought of acquiring another 1911 type pistol. It was suppose to happen sometime during the one hundredth anniversary year of 2011 and was originally suppose to be new but, running late as is my wont, one was finally chosen.

This image is reduced by 4%, click it to view full size.

It's an older used Colt Government Model, not pristine safe-queen material but seems to be in good shooting order, broken in but not shot a lot. It's not heavily worn or internally battered. A 1918 Colt kept around here serves as the internally battered example.

It's a little difficult to photograph well. While not perfect it does come off looking better in person than in the photos. It has some slight wear on the edges, handling pecks, and the merest beginnings of an "idiot mark" scratch.

I'd originally thought to acquire a brand new full-sized Colt during 2011 and looked the different variants on the Colt web site. Also looked at all the 1911 clones. Later last fall, older but NIB Series 70 Government Models, as could be found on the auction sights, began to look appealing so I started tracking prices on those. Then I was back onto the New Colt Series 70 re-issues. Only thing was, when contacted, the Colt distributors never seemed to have the guns in stock, even as they were being advertised in the trade papers.

I occasionally peeked at the Government Models made before 1970 but they seemed either too pricey for what they were or else too trashed or too modified. This one was found and seemed to be in decent used condition, decently priced and unmolested. I was most interested in one that hadn't been monkeyed-with.

I got a little skinning though as it wasn't quite as "all original" as represented. Upon receipt of the pistol I first noticed a curious groove filed in the underside of the hammer spur. This would have been apparent in the auction photos if I'd been sharp-eyed but it didn't just jump out at me. Also, the grip safety was rendered inoperable by a tiny set screw installed under the edge of the left grip panel.

I think pinning grip safeties was one of the early popular modifications to 1911 guns way back before my time. I can't figure out why someone would take a 3-cornered file to the back side of the hammer spur unless they wanted to relieve it for some reason.

The trigger pull is perfect and can't be improved upon. Light enough but very crisp, just the way I'd have chosen it to be. Beats out my Gold Cup's trigger. The insides don't look polished (or even much worn) and the pistol hasn't been throated.

The original, proper World War II style "Coltwood" grips are cool because they are still present on the gun but they aren't very appealing to look at. I don't much like their feel either when shooting the pistol. I'm afraid I'll have to hunt up some dark walnut fully checkered grips for the pistol for regular use.

I was a tiny bit peeved by the hammer and the pinned grip safety but I may have a proper thin blued hammer with checkered spur in the parts supply and the set screw was removed so no real harm done.

The workmanship is very nice on the pistol and it behaved in a most gentlemanly fashion at the range. No break-in required.

This makes the fourth 1911 type gun on hand. I was acquiring another 1911 with the view that it very well could be the last one. That is one of the great philosophical questions of our time; whether a 1911 fan can ever truly recognize when he has enough.
    HotGuns, Olduser, zacii and 7 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Beautiful pistol, and you're wrong. Pics are freaking awesome!!

I missed out on my 1911 purchase in 2011...but now back on the hunt. I don't think you can ever have too many 1911's.....I know a guy that has over 40 1911's alone in his safes at home....an obsession? I think its just a cool hobby.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Moderator
    That is one of the great philosophical questions of our time; whether a 1911 fan can ever truly recognize when he has enough.
    I thought that one would be enough once.

That was 3 1911's ago.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yeah. It's your last one. Ever.

Maybe not. Well done on a fine gun.

Absolutely gorgeous gun!!!
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

OD*
    Beautiful Bryan! The pictures are much better than on the other forum, you have yourself a very nice early postwar example, probably a mid-1947. Sadly, at our age Bryan, the pin safeties weren't before our time, it was still semi popular to do up to the early '80s.

I have a nearly mint 1950, I would have sold you.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    That is one of the great philosophical questions of our time; whether a 1911 fan can ever truly recognize when he has enough.
    Not in my case.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Beautiful Bryan! The pictures are much better than on the other forum, you have yourself a very nice early postwar example, probably a mid-1947. Sadly, at our age Bryan, the pin safeties weren't before our time, it was still semi popular to do up to the early '80s.

I have a nearly mint 1950, I would have sold you.

Not in my case.
    Nor mine if I'm realistic about it.

I'd have been tempted to twist your arm on the 1950 model if I'd known. I'm thinking 1947 too if the Wilson Colt book chart is reliable. The pistol can't be old yet as it's only 10 years older than I am.

After picking it up on Monday I took it out that afternoon after lunch and put it through it's paces, pinned grip safety and all. I shot perhaps 350 rounds through it over a couple of hours time and had big fun. It is dead on at 12 yards with a 6 o'clock hold when using 230 grain FMJ round nose. It did exhibit a curious tendency to shoot about 8 inches to the left with a mild handload using a 200 grain round nose lead bullet originally made up to shoot in a Colt Model 1905 .45 automatic. I've never seen a different bullet weight change point of impact horizontally by such an amount.

It was used with some light 185 grain and 200 grain semi-wadcutter loads. All these tended to the left also. All the various examples gave good function even if the slide operated a bit sluggishly. A single round out of the leftovers from a batch of 185 grain SWC loads hung on the feed ramp but it had a small charge of Bulls-Eye powder behind it. It was only test-fired with a single magazine-full of CorBon 230 grain +P jacketed hollow points which gave perfect function. This was the only hollow point load tested.

For a future test, we'll see if light bullet handloads can be moved closer to point-of-aim through increasing the powder charge.

A small set screw was all that was defeating the grip safety and it was removed. The grip safety functions properly so doesn't hurt a thing. Besides, it felt weird to grip and shoot a 1911 with an inoperative grip safety.

No break-in was needed and the pistol was very well-mannered in the way it handled the various loads fed it. The quality and workmanship really are appealing and hark back to another era. I'm pretty certain though that the immediate post-war commercial Government Models aren't considered as nice as the 1920s-1930s examples.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

GM
    A beautiful 1911; just beautiful. Congratulations
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Very Nice Bmc...Very nice....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Yey! I was hoping you would post a pic. I remember reading something hinting tona new aquisition on the other forum, but I dont remember a picture. Anyway, great looking gun!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Yeah, Gman. You didn't help things when you picked up your latest 1911 months ago. I was in the humor and you fanned the flames with your shooting reports.

Just an observation of mine, but it seems like the quality of "bluing" on pistols has degraded with time.

That is a beautiful deep blue, that is very appealing to the eye. I don't recall seeing anything similar in the display cases lately. Although everything has finishes other than the traditional blue it now seems.

But, nonetheless, I now realize that I need a 1911 with some good bluing, as I don't have one of those yet.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The bluing on my new Colt is starting to show some signs of holster wear around the muzzle end of the slide and bottom of the dust cover. And yes Buckeye, you are correct, the bluing on my Colt is not up to the finish on Bryans.

However, bluing that is a little worn is fine. Give it character. Honest wear always does IMO.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quite a find...nice pistola!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Very nice piece!! I'm envious, congrats!
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links