Emp 9mm vs Glock

This is a discussion on Emp 9mm vs Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would think whichever points more naturally for you will be the more accurate. Something I like to do to check this is hold gun ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Emp 9mm vs Glock

I would think whichever points more naturally for you will be the more accurate. Something I like to do to check this is hold gun at low ready position
    focus on target then close your eyes and raise gun. Open eyes to see how close to on target you are. For me with a 1911 I will be near right on, with
    the Glock I end up aiming high. I expect this is primarily due to the fact that I have much more experience with 1911's. With practice you should be able
    to be just as good with either one.

You only asked about accuracy but I will include my 2 cents worth on a couple other things for free. If this is to be a carry gun then think about which
    you could conceal better and what type of holster you would use. As others have said these are 2 different types of guns with different safety mechanisms.
    For me I prefer the EMP with grip and thumb safety. I find that flicking off the safety is just automatic as I push the gun forward . If money is not an issue and
    and you want a really nice looking and shooting gun go with the EMP. You can always pick up a glock later.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Big difference in the trigger, being a single action guy I'd say EMP all the way!

So, let's look at this way.

1911 lovers are going to say, "Get the (insert 1911 model firearm here), it's awesome!"

Glock lovers are going to say, "Get the (insert Glock model here), it's awesome!"

Does that help?

That being said, I'm a Glock lover...
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    This isn't just a Glock vs 1911 thing, the EMP cost twice as much. The fit and finish, trigger and materials in which they are made of are not in the same galaxy. With all due respect. You could substitute in any polymer and I would feel the same way.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I am a Glock owner and I have shot an EMP and I have to say that the EMP is a much nicer shooting gun, there's no comparison, IMO. The Glock is like a hotrod and the EMP is more like a Caddy. I'm not giving my Glock up though because its a dead solid proven platform that I trust my life with, etc.

My comparison may not be completely fair. My Glock is a 40S&W while the EMP I shot was the 9mm version. In other words, some of the differences I noticed may have been more indicative of the caliber and not the platform. I will say, however, I was more accurate shooting the EMP for the first time than I was with the Glock.

It really comes down to trigger system preference when you stop and look at the options. If you can shoot a Glock well, you could buy the G19 plus almost 2,500 rounds of ammo (assuming ~$200/1000 rounds) or you could buy less ammo and pick up extra mags, carry gear, etc. However, if the EMP is what really works better for you, your happiness and life is definitely worth the premium.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    This isn't just a Glock vs 1911 thing, the EMP cost twice as much. The fit and finish, trigger and materials in which they are made of are not in the same galaxy. With all due respect. You could substitute in any polymer and I would feel the same way.
    Since this is in the Defensive Carry subforum and not the General Firearms subforum, I'm assuming that the OP plans on carrying one of these which brings me to my main point:

What do "fit and finish," "materials" and paying "twice as much" have to do with a defensive firearm? Are any of those superior to reliability, weight, dimensions, capacity, or natural point of aim?

And as far as the "materials in which they are made of are not in the same galaxy..." It's stainless steel, it's not like it's made out of titanium or something, and even if it were made of titanium, would that make it function better than the one made of plastic?

Edit: Yes, the trigger is better on the EMP, but it's not hard to get used to a Glock trigger.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I had a EMP 9mm and liked it fine; however, SA doesn't recommend the use of +P in the subcompact 1911's. The one I had displayed positive primer hits with standard pressure ammo, not so with +P.
    Who on earth did you talk to there ? ? ?

I talked to 3 techs and 1 customer service person on +P+ ammo. Their only concern is whether it would cycle it too quickly and cause a fail to feed or fail to eject as a result. Their comment to me was " try it and see if it works OK " . It has nothing to do with the strength of the gun being able to handle it, it's the cycling speed of the slide. That can be true of any shorter barrel semi-auto. I have shot lots +p loads in mine and never had an issue with it, but ..... it has some fail to feeds on 147 gr. HP 9mm ammo. The edge the HP portion of the bullet catches on the edge of the feed ramp once in awhile when coming out of the mag.

Otherwise, accuracy with the EMP is great.... and no issues nor problems at all. Great gun.

Personally, I don't like Glocks, but I do like XD's. We have tested this XD with every type and quality of ammo you can imagine, and it just keeps shooting them... no issues at all. We 'tried' to get it to fail, and couldn't. The more we did, the more impressed I was with that gun. Love it. Reliability of mine is unquestionable.

Get whatever you like the most , and move on from there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Many great points guys. I was told by many the Glock was really accurate an had low recoil. perfect for testing I need to take in a few months. I've been practicing with a Kimber .45 but was looking for a carry piece that would also be accurate... shooter aside.
    Tim
    If you've got a Kimber, then I guess cost is not a factor for your firearms. An EMP and a Kimber would be a nice combo. Not sure if you're experienced with 1911's and CCW carry modes. Serious guys that use 1911s for CCW will carry cocked and locked rather than fooling around with cocking the hammer on the draw. I used to carry 1911's cocked and locked but always in holsters with a thumbsnap strap that would be under the hammer when holstered. So you need to factor in your comfort level and also competency with cocked & locked carry in consideration of a CCW gun. You have to practice to instinctively remember to sweep the safety off on the draw after the gun has cleared your body. Also have to be alert when holstering/unholstering your weapon and uncocking it. I'm getting older so went with Glock simplicity for CCW and also around the home with family around. I also used to worry about the kids doing surprise rough-house playing with me (like jumping on my back) when carrying a cocked and locked weapon.

Jasgo-Great points!!

Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Jasgo-Great points!!
    Thanks. Oh, about recoil and muzzle flip among guns, a factor in gun design is how low the axis of the bore is in relation to your hand. I believe the Glock was designed with this in mind so muzzle flip is reduced to some degree. The recoil force of a cartridge will always be there since a law of physics but can be made more controllable by gun design/weight.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Here's a writeup about the EMP you might want to read:

The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine

I would get the G26, but that is my EDC pistol, so I'm biased. You're not going to handicap yourself with either pistol. I shoot my G26 better that some people shoot their full size 1911s, so I think it's reasonable to say that the person is a bigger variable than the pistol. Just pick one and practice a lot. If I were going to carry a 1911, I'm almost certain I'd be carrying an EMP. Just keep in mind that the G26 is lighter and has higher capacity than the EMP.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Who on earth did you talk to there ? ? ?

I talked to 3 techs and 1 customer service person on +P+ ammo. Their only concern is whether it would cycle it too quickly and cause a fail to feed or fail to eject as a result. Their comment to me was " try it and see if it works OK " . It has nothing to do with the strength of the gun being able to handle it, it's the cycling speed of the slide. That can be true of any shorter barrel semi-auto. I have shot lots +p loads in mine and never had an issue with it, but ..... it has some fail to feeds on 147 gr. HP 9mm ammo. The edge the HP portion of the bullet catches on the edge of the feed ramp once in awhile when coming out of the mag.

Otherwise, accuracy with the EMP is great.... and no issues nor problems at all. Great gun.

Personally, I don't like Glocks, but I do like XD's. We have tested this XD with every type and quality of ammo you can imagine, and it just keeps shooting them... no issues at all. We 'tried' to get it to fail, and couldn't. The more we did, the more impressed I was with that gun. Love it. Reliability of mine is unquestionable.

Get whatever you like the most , and move on from there.
    I did not talk to anyone, I looked at the owners manual.
    My issue with +P in the 9mm EMP was not related to wear, but primer indentation.
    Using standard pressure Federal ammo (of various sorts) primer impact was acceptable, Winchester standard pressure passed my critical eye too.
    However, with Winchester Ranger T +P and +P+ and with Federal +P+ observed primer impact was not so positive; when I used the Ranger T +P+ the primer actually flowed out the back of the strike and made a new solid surface.
    My hypothesis is the firing pin is so lightweight that it can't withstand +P and +P+ pressure? It's a guess.
    I also used a Wolff 25# XP mainspring to try and obtain the most positive primer impact, but it did not improve what was obtained with the factory unit and the IL (yuck) mainspring.
    When shooting that same +P+ Ranger T out of my Glock 26 I am rewarded with a nice positive primer impact.

I'm not knocking SA or the EMP, simply reporting my experience; I bought a EMP 40 and really like it, including the primer impact obtained with with Wolff 25# XP mainspring compressed in a S&A stainless non-IL MSH.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Since this is in the Defensive Carry subforum and not the General Firearms subforum, I'm assuming that the OP plans on carrying one of these which brings me to my main point:

What do "fit and finish," "materials" and paying "twice as much" have to do with a defensive firearm? Are any of those superior to reliability, weight, dimensions, capacity, or natural point of aim?

And as far as the "materials in which they are made of are not in the same galaxy..." It's stainless steel, it's not like it's made out of titanium or something, and even if it were made of titanium, would that make it function better than the one made of plastic?

Edit: Yes, the trigger is better on the EMP, but it's not hard to get used to a Glock trigger.
    It's obvious you are not a 1911 guy. We get it..... and maybe some day you will too.......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links