Need some opinions

Need some opinions

This is a discussion on Need some opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a long time 45 acp carrier and I am getting older and am looking for a smaller lighter package to carry. I'm thinking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need some opinions

Need some opinions

I am a long time 45 acp carrier and I am getting older and am looking for a smaller lighter package to carry.
    I'm thinking 40 cal and maybe a g23 gen4.

What do you all think?
    I am not sure how good a 40 cal is for self defense I need to be convinced, I have always trusted the 45 acp for 50 yrs.

thanks

Just do your part, and a .40 cal or even 9mm will do just fine. Unless they are fighting for their freedom (ie: trying to get away from the cops), BG's don't stick around for any kind of prolonged gunfight. Once they know you aren't helpless (first round flies their way), they just want to flee. That aside, a .40 or 9mm that you will carry and can control is more effective than a larger caliber that you have begun to fear the recoil and develop a flinch.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    eagleeye:
    The Glock 23 is a fine weapon, but it will be slightly thicker than a 1911 and it will be lighter to carry. I don't find much of a difference in recoil between the 40 and 45. You will read that one pushes while the other is snappy, I think that's all bull.

Here's what I would suggest: take a look at the Glock 36. It's just a tad shorter than the 23, but has a thinner grip because it has a single stack magazine. Best part is it's still 45 ACP caliber, and you don't have to change ammo. It's a great carry gun in my opinion. I actually had two of them, but gave one to my son and the other I kept and carry. Good luck with your choice.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I'm an older guy (70) and I carry a .45 cal every day. In the last few years I started carrying a smaller frame pistol for the weight advantage. Sure I sacrifice rds for the reduced weight, but 7+1 will do the job if I do mine.

A .40 cal is no better or worse than the guy who gives up his .45 cal.
    Eaglebeak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Olduser View Post
    I'm an older guy (70) and I carry a .45 cal every day. In the last few years I started carrying a smaller frame pistol for the weight advantage. Sure I sacrifice rds for the reduced weight, but 7+1 will do the job if I do mine.

A .40 cal is no better or worse than the guy who gives up his .45 cal.

What smaller frame pistol do you carry now?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    eagleeye:
    The Glock 23 is a fine weapon, but it will be slightly thicker than a 1911 and it will be lighter to carry. I don't find much of a difference in recoil between the 40 and 45. You will read that one pushes while the other is snappy, I think that's all bull.

Here's what I would suggest: take a look at the Glock 36. It's just a tad shorter than the 23, but has a thinner grip because it has a single stack magazine. Best part is it's still 45 ACP caliber, and you don't have to change ammo. It's a great carry gun in my opinion. I actually had two of them, but gave one to my son and the other I kept and carry. Good luck with your choice.

Sounds like a good Idea I will search out a g36. I carry a sig P220 or a full size 1911 now.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    What smaller frame pistol do you carry now?
    I carry a Colt New Agent. 24oz

Colt New Agent Series

Quote Originally Posted by Olduser View Post
    I carry a Colt New Agent. 24oz

Colt New Agent Series

Those are really nice guns.

Have you thought about a Kahr? Either the TP45 or the P45 would give you what you are looking for, a .45 in a lighter, smaller package. I will say that the trigger pull is somewhat long (at least on my K9) compared to my colt or HK and it takes a little getting used to.

VIP Member
    Myself, I'd stick with the .45 ACP. Since the round count on the .40 is normally higher than for the .45 your not going to drop much, if any weight. I personally find the .45 a much more comfortable round to shoot. I have wrist problems from a work injury. The snap of the .40 makes it painful to shoot more than 20-30 rounds at a time. The .45 isn't a problem for me to shoot. Normal range trip would consist of 100-200 rounds with no ill effects to the wrist.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Olduser;2153932]I carry a Colt New Agent. 24oz

im gonna guess that you do not have arthritis ( try and stay that way...) cause i gave up on my defender for a Sig p230/40 as my hands told me so.

so the 40 is my choice for lots of reasons--as was the 40 in the p239; its a package of performance, accuracy, power and capacity that suits my needs.
    my needs as i perceive how events around me may unfold requiring me to become defensive.

your needs are likely different in some ways. but a 180 gr 40 or a 180 gr 45 out of similar tube lengths have similar speeds. hence--power.
    though their SD is a bit different, here's hoping we never have to fire it to find out.

im looking at Sigs again...C3 or Ultra. that extra 4 to 6 ounces makes my hands feel better.
    decision making time is near. and there is a little voice saying...both.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    You told us what caliber, but what gun(s) do you currently carry? If you can find something similar to your current carry, your training will carryover. A different platform shouldn't be a game stopper, but I would start with the same (or very similar) platform first.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    I am a long time 45 acp carrier and I am getting older and am looking for a smaller lighter package to carry.
    I'm thinking 40 cal and maybe a g23 gen4.

What do you all think?
    I am not sure how good a 40 cal is for self defense I need to be convinced, I have always trusted the 45 acp for 50 yrs.

thanks
    Why not go with a Glock 30sf or 36? Both a .45 ACP, so you wouldn't have to switch calibers.

As for the 10mm Lite (.40 S&W), it's only real advantage is over 9mm in the barrier penetration department. (I happen to prefer .357 SIG to .40 S&W in this department). So, if you don't need better barrier penetration, .40 S&W offers no distinct advantage over modern 9mm loadings.

Also, I happen to strongly dislike the recoil characteristics of the 180 gr. loading, but I do like the characteristics of the 155 and 165 gr. loadings.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Myself, I'd stick with the .45 ACP. Since the round count on the .40 is normally higher than for the .45 your not going to drop much, if any weight. I personally find the .45 a much more comfortable round to shoot. I have wrist problems from a work injury. The snap of the .40 makes it painful to shoot more than 20-30 rounds at a time. The .45 isn't a problem for me to shoot. Normal range trip would consist of 100-200 rounds with no ill effects to the wrist.

I just might stick with the Sig P220 stainless elite that thing really shoots soft and smooth.

It just that between that and a full size 1911 for almost 50 yrs that there 3 LBS is getting heavy.
    But thru some research I would only lose about 8 or 9 oz's so I beginning to think it's not worth it.

That P220 and my TRP that I carry theses gun are fast and tack drivers.
    Decisions decisions it's hell to get old but I'm glad I am the alternative would not be to my liking if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    You told us what caliber, but what gun(s) do you currently carry? If you can find something similar to your current carry, your training will carryover. A different platform shouldn't be a game stopper, but I would start with the same (or very similar) platform first.
    I mentioned earlier I think that I currently carry a sig P220 or a TRP 1911. Both of which 45acp.
    I have carried 45 acp and 10mm all of my life. Thats why it will if I chose to be very hard to walk out of the house with out it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links