Tired of seeing bobtails yet? - Page 2

Tired of seeing bobtails yet?

This is a discussion on Tired of seeing bobtails yet? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is your gun! I am also right in the middle of building yet another Scandium Bob-CAT. Carry and Tactical (the CAT part). One of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tired of seeing bobtails yet?

It is your gun! I am also right in the middle of building yet another Scandium Bob-CAT. Carry and Tactical (the CAT part). One of my customers came up with that name. This one will have a stippled front strap with no vertical serrations. I had to reprofile the front strap by hand to get all of the metal down to one level before doing the stippling. It will also have a stippled main spring housing with the stippling carried all the way to the bottom of the MSH. The stippling on the lower part will be more of a matte than stippled for some extra grip without losing the smoothness of the bobtail for carry. Then 40 LPI serrations on the back of the slide to match the Heinie texture and matting/stippling on the top of the slide for anti-glare. Paint will be Desert Tan Duracoat frame with semi gloss slide. Also getting some of the killer prickly "OnTarget" 5 DPI VZ grips like the gray and black gun is wearing. Pretty aggresive, but with the loss of grip surface on the back of the gun, nice to have with sweaty or gloved hands and the two guns that I have out there with the grips on, the owners say that carrying the gun with the aggresive grips is not a problem. I never really planned on doing this many bobtail S&Ws, but they turning out to be a very impressive carry and competition/range gun with just a few nice custom tweaks. I fixed the first quirk that I did not like about the air gap under the factory Novak sights with the better Heinie sights that go right into the stock dovetails. These guns CANNOT be recut for the standard Novak cut or Heinie cut sights. The S&W dovetail that is on these guns is for their run of the mill "Novak" that they put on all of the other auto pistols, hence the poor factory fit. If I were to deepen the Novak cut there would be two dovetail impressions after cutting the sight for the standard Novak install and the rear platform would not work right. These dovetails are about .500 something deep and the Novak sights are .700 something deep. Also, the Heinie's are dead POA/POI at 25 feet. The next problem with them that I have found a way to fix is the rattly fitting grip safety. It uses a "Wilson" radius sort of and by hand fitting a Caspian gunsmith fit grip safety, I have been able to get a much nicer, tighter fitting grip safety. And the cone shaped speed bump on this next bobtail will also be getting matted/stippled, increasing the amount of grip on the back strap after the bobtail. They seem to be evolving and getting more features as time goes on with each one I do. And they are all hand profiled so you cannot take the MSH off of one gun and have it fit the next, they are all different. The smooth and snakeskinned MSH bobtails are much flatter and don't have as much of a bump in the middle of the 45 degree bend as the checkered housing has and the blending must be done a bit more carefully as there is not as much "meat" to play with. The blending is not just throw it on. By the time you get the original pin hole just barely blended out, you are right to the edge of the new pin hole and there just isn't any room for fudging them in, but they work really well. I did not like the looks of the bobtail to start with when Ed Brown came out with them, but they work. For carry, they really decrease the printing, but the really nice thing is that they fit my hand better and get rid of the square bottom that really digs into the heal of my hand. It makes the 1911 almost as comfortable as a Hi Power, but better because it is slimmer. And they come right to point better than the standard 1911. With the bobtail fitting just right into the heal of your hand, there is no eyeball to line of sight adjustment needed. Ok, off my soapbox. Thanks for all of the kind words, I really do appreciate it and the forum.

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Receive it today neatly packaged. For the amount of money I paid, I have one hell of a great gun. It already was a good gun, light, great fit and finish, and shot perfect. But the stock sights just ar etoo hard for me to use (53 years old) and the Heinies look to be a significant improvement.

The Bobtail work is perfect. One cannot get that close with a machine or case, Jess human touch is evidant and apreciated. The grips are perfectly fitted, and the color is a perfect match (starting to sound like an Olympic judge and Nadia Komenich!)

Lastly, the black color is a perfect match to what was there to begin with.

Gotta go shoot it!

What's a bobtail?

Assistant Administrator
    Bobtail is reprofiling the lower rear of frame to an angle - see in pics in original thread-starting post.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Now that Desert Tan/Black semigloss sounds like my gun!! By the time Jess is thru with it, it will only be S&W in name!! One week to go, can't wait!!

Nice Weapon...

a very good looking gun!
    Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links