Narrowed it to two, M&P 45c or CW45

This is a discussion on Narrowed it to two, M&P 45c or CW45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a CW45 last week after doing a lot of research. While waiting for it to arrive I did a bunch more research. I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: Narrowed it to two, M&P 45c or CW45

Narrowed it to two, M&P 45c or CW45

I ordered a CW45 last week after doing a lot of research. While waiting for it to arrive I did a bunch more research. I know there have been some reliability issues, and I hear Kahr CS is good, but there is always the doubt in my mind. I do alot of shooting, mostly with my reloads, I want a gun that isn't too finicky, and doesn't take a lot of up keep.

Today I handeled a M&P 9c, and really liked it, if it was 45 I would have bought it. I've read nothing but good about these pistols, and I've kinda swayed in that direction. I talked to the shop owner, and he is fine with me not buying the pistol I ordered if it comes to that.

How closely does the 45c compare to the 9c in size? The 9c is very doable to me as far a CC. Is the Kahr the kind of gun that likes to be shot alot and can handle different kinds of reloads? Is the M&P a better do all pistol?

2. Remove Ads

Just my 2 cents worth the most reliable gun I own is a Kahr PM9 around 900 and zero failures, I have had 3 Glocks, a Springfield and other the Kahr has never let me down.

My M&P has a 357 SIG barrel. It is full size, not compact. But she's a runner. I love my M&P. A lot. Smith got this one right. Afraid I cannot help you with the Kahr. All I know is what I have read, which you can do well enough yourself.

I have the kahr cm9 and the m&P 45 compact

Love them both
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

VIP Member
    I would think the Smith would hold up better.
    Yes, the .45 is very close to the 9c .40c in size.
    I have the 9c, as does my brother and his sons GF.His son has a FS .40 and two people he works with have the 9, 1fs, and one FS I believe.
    These pistols can shoot, and shoot all day if you want them to.
    Nobody I know has had a problem with them.
    Can't answer about the Kahr, but I think they are more than the $$550-600 or so for the Smith
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

M&P 45C is closer in size to the Glock 19, but is 1.1" wide vs 1.0" slide for the G19. 45C is an awesome carry weapon and is a real shooter.

45C vs G19

45C vs 9C
    Sebass likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Thanks for the pics Zonk. I've heard the G36 (which I had decided on for a bit) and the G19 are the same size? I once looked at the G36 and CW45 side by side. I liked the way the CW felt better, but the GLock had a slightly shorter heigth.

Nothing like a 45c! I love mine, easier to handle than my 40c, super accurate. Loaded her up with Apex goodies and it just gets better!

Quote Originally Posted by MHWASH View Post
    Thanks for the pics Zonk. I've heard the G36 (which I had decided on for a bit) and the G19 are the same size? I once looked at the G36 and CW45 side by side. I liked the way the CW felt better, but the GLock had a slightly shorter heigth.
    one of my EDC's is a Glock 36 with Trijicon night sights, and the G36 and G19 are very close in size. 4" barrel for the G19 vs 3.8" for the G36. Slides are pretty much the same width and most holsters will accept either pistol. Main difference is the width of the frame....G36 is much thinner since its a single stack.

Its a tough call when looking at the Kahr CW45 and the Glock 36. They are very similar with both single stacks with 6+1....barrel on the CW45 is 4" vs the 3.8" G36. CW45 has a tad bit longer grip.
    Davidsons and Buds Gun Shop have the CW45 for around $360 which is about $200 less than the Glock. For the money, I'd go with the Kahr. Very nice pistol. My local GS sells the CW45 for $549 and uniformed shoppers pay it.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My LGS has the CW for $360, and the 45C for $470. I'm starting to think for $360, I don't have much to lose.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I have been looking at the M&P .45C for a while. It is in my wish list.

Distinguished Member
    A couple of pictures of the 45c holstered for carry. Crossdraw. And 4 O'clock. The holster is a FIST Dave Spaulding in kydex with custom cant of 23 degrees (almost double the stock cant of 12 degrees). I'm 5'7" and 130 lbs. wet and don't summer CCW the .45c - though I haven't really tried (reference to my TN time not my current CA situation).

For my money, there's not a sweeter and more accurate .45 than the S&W M&P.

M&P45c - Compact
    Overall length: 7.125"
    Height (incl. mag): 4.8"
    Width: 1.2"
    Barrel length: 4"

S&W M&P Compact (9mm, 40, .357 sig)
    Overall length: 6.7"
    Height (incl. mag): 4.3"
    Width: 1.2"
    Barrel length: 3.5"
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Links