pocket pistol choice.

This is a discussion on pocket pistol choice. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry an LCP or a Kahr CW9...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: pocket pistol choice.

I carry an LCP or a Kahr CW9

2. Remove Ads

Remington 870. (just kidding)
    I have the keltec pf9 as well-I really do like this little beast! Ive put probably 500 rds through it-fmj's,jhp's it eats em all. My buddy just got his kimber ultra,he hates it when I make him lay it down on the table next to my keltec. I love busting his nuts!
    Buckj likes this.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

As far as quality guns take a look at the old, but still excellent Walther PPK/S in 380. This is a reliable and accurate firearm, but the slide may be too difficult for a woman to rack and it tends to have more recoil bite than a Sig P-238. The Sig P-238 is a better choice, lighter, accurate, reliable and extremely comfortable to shoot. The P-238 is actually a redesigned Colt Mustang. For a little larger handgun, but still a comfortable pocket pistol due to it's thinness is the Walther PPS in 9mm. Very comfortable to shoot, extremely accurate, Glock reliability in a more powerful 9mm platform. All these guns cost more than the Ruger LCP, which is a fine gun for very close range duty or if money is an issue.

Love my Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380. I have, as of today, settled on my next purchase the LCR 357.... more details to follow. ((love my Mika holster too))

VIP Member
    My PF-9 Kel Tec has never gave me a problem. I have a glock and I never carry it due to the weight and size unless it's in a OWB or shoulder holster. Both are great pistols however the PF-9 gets carried the most.
    Buckj likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

If capacity is a concern, look at the Kel-Tec P11. It's a double-stack, 14oz unloaded, DAO 9x19, with 10 or 12 rd magazines (depends on the follower) but will also work with S&W 59 magazines. The trigger is long and heavy, but if you've shot a J-frame much, you can deal with it. I pocket-carried mine in pleated slacks or cargo trousers before going to the slightly smaller PF9. With its wider backstrap, the P11 doesn't sting nearly as much as the PF9.

I have a Glock 23...a fine gun but it does not fit my hands very well...i just got through cleaning ( long overdue ) my Tauras Titanium 85 38 special + p Revolver...to me it is not a pocket gun...i do carry it in a Cowboy vest, Smart Carry or ISWB...my pocket carry is the LCP...fits my hand...i can shoot very good groups & it has been flawless for me...and yes it is personal...I REALLY enjoy carrying my LCP...comfortable and easy to conceal....just my opinion...for what it is worth

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Some one said 380's are for Girls ok. Daughter LCP 380 30 shots in quick fire 21 feet indoor BG aint walking away.
    Making the assumption that a 380 can penetrate deeply enough to cause an end to the fight. there are those who believe, including my self, that a 380 does not consistently perform well enough in gelatin to stack the odds in my favor.

100% reliable pistols I've pocket carried.......

Kahr CW9

Kahr CM9

Keltec PF9
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

OP - It's going to depend on what you want.

A Ruger LCP is an "always" gun. It is about the smallest, flattest, and lightest pistol out there in a respectable caliber. Use .380 FMJ for penetration, and you're well protected. For males, there are no clothes (other than a Speedo ) that you cannot conceal one in. As far as "shootability," the finger extension on the mag gives you a firmly locked two-finger grip, and eliminates the pistol jumping around in your hand.

Small guns, in general, tend to make bad shooting habits stand out. If you don't know how to "squeeze" a trigger, you will have issues with small handguns, period. Larger guns have more mass, and can mask some bad habits. If you know how to shoot, however, you will be pleasantly surprised at what guns like the LCP can do. I can shoot one-ragged-hole groups at 7-10 yards (with a CT laser) all day long, no difficulty at all, at a fairly rapid rate. These guns will do, if you will do.

A Kahr PM9/CM9 will fit in *most* pockets, but not in all. I had some pants tailored (deepened and squared off the pocket bottom) to better accommodate my PM9. These pistols are also heavier than the LCP, and that can make a difference.

A snubbie is larger still, but many make them work in a pocket - but not me. I have tree-trunk thighs, and revolvers print horribly in my pants pockets. My other issue with revolvers in general is that you may pull the trigger several times before you realize you are empty (I've seen it happen), whereas a pistol like the PM9 will lock the slide open, or the LCP will give you a dead trigger after the first pull on an empty chamber. I don't want to go further into revolver vs semi-auto, but those were some considerations for me.

Any larger than that, and you are not really into "pocket" gun territory any more. Yes, I pocket my Glock 26 on duty as a secondary, but I'm not at all concerned about printing then.

Hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; February 4th, 2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: more appropriate smiley
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Nice writeup there, 10thMtn!

Get a S&W M&P 340. I carry 2 rounds of 38+P and 3 rounds of 357 plus 5 in a speed loader.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

thank you guys for all the help i think i will be looking into the ruger lcp, the kahr cm9 and cw9. also any one have the 380 s&W Body guard?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    .380's are for girls. That's why they paint them pink. Ever see a pink .45?
    Yeah, they're out there. Search the net and you'll find 'em in pink. Oh and about the .380 being for girls.... don't see ya volunteering to take one for the team!
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I carry my G23 everyday IWB crossbreed holster seay to carry all day every day and pocket carry either a smith and wesson body guard in .380 or a sig p238 sig is borderline pocket carry but the body guard fits right in my front or back pocket and comes from the factory with a laser.....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links