dress to carry or carry to dress ?

This is a discussion on dress to carry or carry to dress ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The topic of what we carry has come around, but I have a lil' problem with it. Do you carry just one large full-sized handgun ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: dress to carry or carry to dress ?

Lightbulb dress to carry or carry to dress ?

The topic of what we carry has come around, but I have a lil' problem with it.
    Do you carry just one large full-sized handgun year round and dress accordingly or do you have different handguns to carry depending on your dress from the weather ???
    I'm sure theres a few die-hards in this crowd...
    ------
    What about you ???
    Last edited by artz; August 24th, 2006 at 12:22 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I carry to dress. Sometimes. depending on what I am wearing and where I am going, I will carry a bigger gun if I am able to depending on what I am wearing and what I am doing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    Do you carry just one large full-sized handgun year round and dress accordingly or do you have different handguns to carry depending on your dress from the weather ?
    Generally, I select a carry pistol based on the following criteria:
    • Will it suffice in terms of power? If not, it's toast.
    • Will the concealability factors work with a mode of dress I can live with? If not, it's toast.
    • Will it be reliable enough? (>= 2000 rounds of range testing, usually.) If not, it's toast.
    • Is there a good holster option for the specific gun and mode of dress I've chosen? If not, it's toast.

Fairly simple requirements, but it results in a good match every time. I haven't selected many, but the ones that have passed the tests have been glorious, daily carry options. Am reviewing a Kahr PM9 9mm and a KelTec P3AT 380ACP, now, for possible carry. Won't know until after the reliability tests are through. (The PM9's having some teething pains, at the moment.)

In past years, I have had a primary that fit IWB or pocket. In the last year I have opted for a primary via IWB/OWB plus a BUG (backup). That affords more flexibility, depending on (a) destination and (b) mode of dress.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I carry a G30 or a 5" double stack 1911. Every article of clothing will conceal either weapon and every size in between. I select my clothes to fit my lifestyle. My lifestyle is one where I carry a firearm every day of my life, everywhere I go (where legal). That is how my clothes are selected: with carrying in mind. If it won't fit my lifestyle, I don't buy it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    That is how my clothes are selected: with carrying in mind. If it won't fit my lifestyle, I don't buy it.
    Exactly so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I dress around my gun. I carry a 226 year round, and just deal with it.

After wearing full DCUs, IBAS, K-pot, weapons and gear in 120+ heat in Iraq, wearing a full size gun and appropriate wardrobe in summer here kinda gets put in perspective.

I may get a Kel-Tec mousegun for the pocket in certain special situations... going to the lake, going to the doctor's, etc... where you just CAN'T dress for a full size or hide a full size in that situation.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    For the most part, I dress around what I carry. I'm lucky in that I don't have to wear a suit, so I can use vests, large shirts or a fanny pack easily. I carry either a Ruger in a fanny pack or my HK USPc IWB.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Not sure about others here, but my Wife and I will wear our carry gun and even bring an extra holster or 2 (in her purse) when we go shopping for clothes. If the clothes look good and conceal then they are purchased. I have very few "outfits" that do not conceal my Sig226. My Wife now carries a Keltec P3AT most of the time NOT the Glock 27, so her clothes are easier to find. Its a good thing too, because she can be picky when it comes to clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    I dress around my gun. I carry a 226 year round, and just deal with it.

After wearing full DCUs, IBAS, K-pot, weapons and gear in 120+ heat in Iraq, wearing a full size gun and appropriate wardrobe in summer here kinda gets put in perspective.
    I carry a full size 1911 and feel the same way. While I haven't been over there yet, I've been in BDU's while wearing armor and weapon in Phoenix in the summer. After that carrying a 1911 is easy!
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I dress to carry and find that I can do so with acceptable fashion in most all cases. I carry AIWB and have purchased cover shirts that are designed to wear un-tucked... they look fine, allow ease of weapon access and are generally cool enough to wear even in the hot summer in GA!

Manwell

I usually dress around what I carry which is a LW Commander in an IWB holster. Sometimes that means dressing a little differently than I used to but I've always been pretty casual. On the occasion that I can't then it's a 638 S&W which can be carried in pocket holster, IWB or chest band. Sometimes both are available.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I told someone once the only accessory I wear is my 1911. And people never know it's there. I dress to carry.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I am too a veteran and have hauled my share of gear. However at this juncture in my life, man I have to be comfortable. Now, sometimes the 1911 does come out , and I am considering carrying it more often or getting the .45 in a smaller package to replace my normal carry piece of SW 637. I think the snub nose just lends itself to versatility and being comfortable. Moreover, if I have to pull it in close surroundings I am not worried about it jamming and it has a small amount of real estate for the BG to grab. Just my 2cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Full size year round when not at work, at work I deep carry, so not really the same. Anyways, I guess I dress to carry. A slightly oversize t-shirt goes a really long way. If it's hot, I'm sweating whether or not I'm carrying a full size handgun, so I might as well carry what I want.

I dress around what I carry.
    Glock 23 strong side OWB

Speed Six 2-3/4" IWB weak side.

NAA .22 mag. left front pocket.

It's hot and muggy in south FL,and I wear
    Short's, t-shirt with button up tropical shirt.

That combo. work's for me.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links