Have the changes resolved the Glock Gen 4 issues – YES – here's why I think so...

Have the changes resolved the Glock Gen 4 issues – YES – here's why I think so...

This is a discussion on Have the changes resolved the Glock Gen 4 issues – YES – here's why I think so... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No one will deny that the introduction of the Gen 4s were problematic. That seems to be the rule for all gun manufacturers these days. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Have the changes resolved the Glock Gen 4 issues – YES – here's why I think so...

Senior Moderator

No one will deny that the introduction of the Gen 4s were problematic. That seems to be the rule for all gun manufacturers these days. But the big question is, “Is Glock past the problematic issues?” I think the answer to this is a resounding YES!

Let me be clear what I mean by that. I believe that Glock has the problems of the Gen 4s solved and that new production runs are going to be problem free. This does not mean that all gen 4s out there are problem free. There are probably some gen 4s that don’t have the latest updates. There could be Glocks in some one’s stock for a while to come that could be ‘pre-resolved’ models.

There may be a few ‘lemons’ out there – perhaps a very few that have unique issues that represent an anomaly rather than a statistical sample.

So why am I so confident that Glock has the problems fixed? Well that’s a good question. One, late reports from gen 4 owners are so positive and many that they are beginning to overwhelm the declining number of Gen 4s with issues; there are fewer and fewer issues being discussed. There are some gen 4s with issues, but I believe they are the ones that haven’t been updated.

Two, after extensive testing, at least one PD I’m aware of has chosen the Gen 4 as their issue weapon and they aren’t reporting problems – that I’ve heard about.

Third, we know Glock has been working diligently to resolve any and all gen 4 issues and at Glock’s expense – not costing the owner anything. And, their efforts are paying off.

Then fourth, my experience with two gen 4s - my gen 4s, are a G22 and a G17. Although they have low round counts right now, they have been absolutely flawless. No FTFs, no FTEs, no stove pipes, no brass hitting me in the head. In fact, out of a total of 550 rounds between the two guns, there have been zero issues of any kind.

Of the 200 rounds through the G22 gen 4, 60 rounds were fired with a Streamlight TLR-2 light/laser combo attached. This is one of the heavier, larger, all metal WMLs out there. And I didn’t use the paper clip installation technique either; I used a penny and clamped it down! There were zero problems with the TLR-2 attached.

Of the 350 rounds through the G17 Gen 4 the last 150 rounds were with the TLR-2 attached in the same manner as the G22, and again there zero problems. No cases in the head, etc. – nothing, no problems of any kind.

I’m sold on the Gen 4. And, I’ve come a long, long way to this point. I like the Gen 4s; I believe all issues are resolved, and they are as reliable now, as any generation of Glocks have been.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I recently purchased a L.E model Gen 3 19,as of now it has about 1300 rounds through it,if it makes it to the 1500 mark,flawlessly,I'll rotate it out with my g23,the new production,after 2010, gen 3's had ejector and extractor probs also,mine even has the MIM extractor in it,that will probably get a Lone Wolf later on.

My Gen 4 G23 was ejecting brass into my face when I got it. After a trip to Smyrna for a new ejector it's now running like a top.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Are there the same extractor issue with Gen 4 G26s?
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dooga View Post
    I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm not aware that the G26 Gen 4s are having 'gen 4' problems. I'm under the impression that the G26 gen 4s came out after the problems were resolved.

Kentucky State Police is going to order more 35s and 22s this year with additional 27s.
    Everyone is pretty much satisfied with them.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I bought a gen 4, G 26 last May and have had one stovepipe at around round# 554. I believe it had more to do with the cheap ammo I was using than the gun itself. I have shot at least 2500 more since then and have had no issues. It's my EDC gun now.
    OTE=dooga;2156460]Are there the same extractor issue with Gen 4 G26s?[/QUOTE]

My new 19 Gen 4 from last month has been flawless! No ejection, no feed issues, no brass in face, no modifications...good luck

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Kentucky State Police is going to order more 35s and 22s this year with additional 27s.
    I presume these are gen 4 models??? And thanks for that info!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemarlin View Post
    I bought a gen 4, G 26 last May and have had one stovepipe at around round# 554. I believe it had more to do with the cheap ammo I was using than the gun itself. I have shot at least 2500 more since then and have had no issues. It's my EDC gun now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dooga View Post
    I have to say here I'm not sure about that. Glock went to MIM parts and anytime a manufacturer does that it seems to be synonymous with producing junk. Reality is that so much MIM has been used in guns for so many years it's not even an issue. Although, there are exceptions. Some manufacturers have tried to use MIM as springs - that's a total misapplication of MIM - it is not spring material. Also, MIM can be done well which produces very reliable parts, and it can be done poorly which produces inferior parts. In addition, the wrong alloy composition can be used which doesn't give the right results. But, when done right, MIM has proven to be very reliable. That brings us to the Glock MIM extractors.

It does seem that there is a problem, or has been, with the MIM extractors. The anti-MIMers will immediately blame the MIM and attempt to prove it's MIM by replacing the extractor with a machined extractor. Sometimes that works and sometimes has no effect on the problem. However, it is not valid to blame MIM; the MIM part yes, but not MIM per se. The problem could be the design of the MIM part isn't quite right and MIM cannot correct design problems any more than a machined part can. It could be the MIM process was not done properly on a run of extractors and that's a QC problem, not an MIM problem.

I had the cast extractor break in a SA TRP 1911. SA said it's possible it was cast incorrectly and that they were not having problems with extractors breaking.

But I have yet to see a definitive explanation of the Glock extractor problem. The closest I've seen is a guy fixed a problem with a gen 3 extractor, put the gen 4 in the gen 3 gun and then it had the problem. The problem was clearly the MIM extractor. But was it the MIM per se, or a dimensional problem? He did some slight machining on the MIM extractor and guess what? The problem went away. It was a design/dimensioning problem; not a MIM problem.

Well that's a long-winded way of saying I don't know about the extractor problem; I have MIM extractors in both my G22 and G17 and have had zero problems. But, it remains to be seen how they will hold up over time. However, based on many, many years of MIM parts in guns, they seem to hold up just fine. But we'll have to see on the Glocks.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Can someone answer this for me; are the MIM extractors the only KNOWN difference between the new Glock Gen 3's, and old Glock Gen 3's? I have a couple of new Glock Gen 3's and I'm curious. Personally I prefer the Gen 3 look and feel over the Gen 4's.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm not aware that the G26 Gen 4s are having 'gen 4' problems. I'm under the impression that the G26 gen 4s came out after the problems were resolved.
    Mine did.

My Gen3 Glock 19 is flawless, my Gen4 Glock 26 has had lots of FTEs. That's why Glock figured out it wasn't just the RSA (which they changes a half dozen times at least) -- it was also extractor/ejector issues. They changed from machined extractor to MIM extractor and they claim they got a "bad batch" (poor quality control). But even after that, Glock has changed the ejector on their 9mm models. There's a new design, which changes the degree of ejection and gives more positive ejection.

Maybe I have one of the "bad batch" extractors? How BIG was that batch, a whole year's worth?

Or maybe I need the new ejector? Or both? In the meantime my Gen3 Glock 19 is my main gun.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    Mine did.

My Gen3 Glock 19 is flawless, my Gen4 Glock 26 has had lots of FTEs. That's why Glock figured out it wasn't just the RSA (which they changes a half dozen times at least) -- it was also extractor/ejector issues. They changed from machined extractor to MIM extractor and they claim they got a "bad batch" (poor quality control). But even after that, Glock has changed the ejector on their 9mm models. There's a new design, which changes the degree of ejection and gives more positive ejection.

Maybe I have one of the "bad batch" extractors? How BIG was that batch, a whole year's worth?

Or maybe I need the new ejector? Or both? In the meantime my Gen3 Glock 19 is my main gun.
    Thanks for that!

Hmmm, wait a minute though. Do you have G26 Gen 3 or a G26 gen 4? My statement was with regard to the G26 gen 4 only.

In any event...

You mentioned extractor and ejector. I know Glock has changed both, but not sure at what point in time. We need to keep in mind that Glock doesn't just manufacture 100 guns a year and also keep in mind that 'pre-resolved' guns may be in various dealer's stock and may be for sometime to come. So those guns will have to have the updated parts installed to bring them up to par.

You said, they changed from a machined extractor to an MIM extractor and that they got a bad batch. That's not hard to believe. There are several variables that have to be controlled and if a variable gets out of spec, there could be a bunch of them get into circulation. I remember when SA was having extractor problems with XDs. Both me and a buddy had XDs with extractor problems so I called SA and they sent me two extractors. Guess what? They were the same as I had! I called them back, and they commented that someone must have sent the old extractors not realizing they had the wrong one. The new ones they sent worked.

So stuff like that happens. Even when the solutions are in place in new run guns, that doesn't mean all guns have all the updates. But, based on Gman's post,
    Glock must have resolved the issues and are in the update phase for guns that don't have the latest components.

What does "MIM" stand for?

Administrator
    Metal Injected Molded

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links