1911 for newbie

This is a discussion on 1911 for newbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 +1 This is the way to go, patience and training. Good choice on the CDP, I jsut recently purchased one that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 for newbie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    +1

This is the way to go, patience and training. Good choice on the CDP, I jsut recently purchased one that I found here in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the site.
    Thanks... so far I really like it!

You should never jump into bed with a new firearm so to speak, I know of atleast one person that I will never hand a 1911 to, a friend of mine that fancies himself as a shooter just can't comprehend the controls, granted more training should solve his issues. He's okay with Glocks and other "point and click" pistols but give him a 1911 and I get VERY nervous.

Bottom line PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
    Just let me add... AMEN!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

Question for Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'm planning on switching from my SIG P226 to a 1911 as my primary carry weapon. I just purchased a Kimber CDP Pro II.
    I would be interested in your reasons for the planned switch. I have both of these guns and also favor the CDP Pro for CCW. But I'd like to hear your reasoning.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I would be interested in your reasons for the planned switch. I have both of these guns and also favor the CDP Pro for CCW. But I'd like to hear your reasoning.
    I love my SIG but she's big and heavy! I was actually going to get a P-220 because I wanted a .45 but then I picked up that Kimber! Flat, light and there's something about a 1911 cocked and locked! Once I got a VersaMax II for it OH BABY!
    Now I have something new to learn and play with too!
    I dunno, I'm just starting to think a 1911 in .45 makes the best CCW...
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I have only owned a 1911 other than my 629 wheel gun. I wouldn't buy anything else for CCH. Somebody will have to come up with something pretty darn slick for me to let go of my 1911. Oh, and I am a Kimber Koolaid drinker.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Ive had sig , Glock , Hk, Ruger, and i keep going back to 1911

OD*
    "The Way of the warrior is to master the virtue of his weapons." - Miyamoto Musashi, Go Rin No Sho (1645)
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I've always thought that the 1911 made for both a good beginner or expert pistol. I took to mine (Kimber Warrior) very quickly, and it's my favorite of the three pistols I own (the other two being a Beretta 96D and H&K USP Compact). I'm not sure if it was because of my experience with my first two pistols or something else, but the 1911 just seemed to come natural to me in terms of function and operation.

Now if I could just figure out how to conceal the stinkin' thing.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Learn Me Something Gentlemen

I have a Kimber ultra CDP.

If I picked up any other 1911 in the same size barrel what would I find is different?

Do they all have the safety on the hand grip?

Do they all have a thumb safety? (and is it on both sides)

I know the Kimber Marketing makes a big deal out of the checkering on the front of the trigger guard does that mean that not all companies put the checkering on and what is it good for?

Mine weights 25 ounces, are there lighter and heavier ones?

Thanks for the class!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

The checkering is not neccasary most 1911 do not have or need this. The Colt 1911 Government Model is the stardard to look at when look, when looking at what a base 1911 will look like. They all have a thumb safety (OK-OD will dig up a picture of JMB's origanal sans thumb satey-but commercial and military guns have them)
    The grip safety-at one time it was quite fashionable to have the grip safety pinned- the raised hump on most after market and the newer factory ( circa 1995to present) ensures that the grip safety will be depressed. MAny of the Spanish Copies of 1911s and the darivatives do not have grip safties. Ambidextrous safeties are not offered as a factory standard on most 1911s-many folks, myself included do not care for ambi safeties as they make the 1911 haeder to conceal are more easily inadvertantly swiped off on the outside, most of the sdesigns weaken the thumbsafety cross bar and they have spent hundreds of hours reaching across when using the weak hand. (I was taught the intracacies of the 1911 by a left handed sr. partner that had no ambi safty- he STILL does not use ambi safeties on his duty guns.)
    Yes, there are a few lighter and many more heavier 1911s.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

OD*

Good to see you around again Rob!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I realize that there are many makes of 1911's out there and opinions will vary greatly, however, can I buy a Kimber with confidence?

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I have about 9k through mine with all kinds of loads. I have never had a single malfunction with it. It also shoots better than I do.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
    I realize that there are many makes of 1911's out there and opinions will vary greatly, however, can I buy a Kimber with confidence?
    Replace the Mim parts then shoot it about 500-1k rounds and see if its shoots fine no jam etc and i do say that just because it is a kimber and the 5-1k is there recommended break in

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I'll put it this way. I had a Glock could barely hit anything. When I bought my Colt Gold Cup I was hard pressed to miss. After the first magazine with the 1911 I knew I was in love.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

My father taught me to appreciate many things, big bore pistol and rifle bullets were some of them. When I got into police work in 1980 I went to autopsy's and saw what bullets did to humans. That sold me on the big bullet theory( 40 calibre and above at 800 to 1000 fps). We were not allowed to carry 45's until the 90's. Now I carry a 1911 with either Federal Hydra-shock or Speer Gold Dot 230 grainers. I believe the over the counter 1911's are good these days but I want to go a step further. I like 1911's machined from 4140 bar stock. All internal parts machined from forgings, not NIM parts. A match grade barrel and wolf springs. All put together by a person(s) who take pride in their work. I have a couple of Ed Brown and Steve Woods custom 45's. They cost more but you get what you pay for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links