1911 for newbie

1911 for newbie

This is a discussion on 1911 for newbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How reasonble is it for a new shooter to change platforms to a 1911 patterned pistol? I have been around firearms all my life and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 for newbie

1911 for newbie

How reasonble is it for a new shooter to change platforms to a 1911 patterned pistol? I have been around firearms all my life and have had to qualify with a pistol while in the military, scenario based stuff for boarding teams. I am getting my CCW and have my personal protection course this weekend. Input appreciated.

Not harder than any other gun if you put the time to train with it into it..

Lots of the gun rag writers say its a experts pistol only i disagree

I carry one everyday .. Start with a 1911 now and save yourself money switching trying to find the gun you like the best and fits your hand the best i wish i would have just went with the 1911 from the get go

Also choose a 1911 from a good source springfield or colt come to mind With the colt being top of m list

If you go with a 1911...

The 1911 is a great pistol design and a recent poll on this site indicated that about 25% of the people here use one for their primary carry gun. That was more than used any other type, including Sigs, Glocks, revolvers and the rest. You have to figure that the 1911 is probably a good choice.

I use them and am especially drawn to the gun because of the wonderful trigger action which enhances accuracy, the significant caliber (.45), the good feel of the grip in my hand, and the flat profile of the gun which aids concealability. I also like the aesthetics of the gun's appearance, and the tradition associated with the 1911.

If you go with one, it is important to pick a solid, reliable brand and model out of the hundreds of alternative 1911s on the market. These guns can be touchy regarding function, and you have to get one that is reliable and trustworthy. Be sure that you test the gun thoroughly at the range with several types of ammo, including your selected carry ammo, before you use it for defense. And practice with the action of putting the gun on safe and off safe as you draw, so that this becomes second nature. You don't want to forget to take off the thumb safety under stress.

As for brands in the "reasonable" price range, I favor Colt and Kimber, in that order. I would also look at S&W and Sig in the 1911 pattern, but have not personal experience with these last 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
    How reasonble is it for a new shooter to change platforms to a 1911 patterned pistol? I have been around firearms all my life and have had to qualify with a pistol while in the military, scenario based stuff for boarding teams. I am getting my CCW and have my personal protection course this weekend. Input appreciated.
    If you shoot well with what you carry now, its probably not very "reasonable", but it might be fun ! If you are an experienced shooter go for it. I dont know what you carry now, but there are obviously platforms less complicated than the 1911. Try it out, you may love it or it may make you appreciate what your comfortable with now.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    As for brands in the "reasonable" price range, I favor Colt and Kimber, in that order. I would also look at S&W and Sig in the 1911 pattern, but have not personal experience with these last 2.
    Don't forget Dan Wesson, aguably one of the best deals in the 1911 market today. +1 on the others mentioned.

Para Ordnance is also a good choice. They have some of the nicest carry guns based on the 1911 design, and some very innovative products.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Lead Moderator
    As long as you are comfortable carrying in cond 1, hammer nback 1 in the pipe , the 1911 is great. Slim design , great ergonomics and a good trigger.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The 1911 is a great pistol design and a recent poll on this site indicated that about 25% of the people here use one for their primary carry gun. ... You have to figure that the 1911 is probably a good choice.

I use them and am especially drawn to the gun because of the wonderful trigger action which enhances accuracy, the significant caliber (.45), the good feel of the grip in my hand, and the flat profile of the gun which aids concealability. .
    Well said. I would delete the word probably in the second sentence of the quoate, but that is my opinion. The 1911 platform is a very comfortable and reliable weapon. As you know it is a veteran of long standing and proved reliable in all kinds of weather and environments through two world wars and many other military actions in all parts of the world. In fact the special forces today prefer the 1911 over the Beretta 9mm.

My Kimber Eclipse Pro II is a comfortable carry piece. I use Wilson eight round mags and have great confidence in this weapons capabilities should the circumstances ever present themselves.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

JD
    Administrator
    My first carry gun was a 1911, haven't had any issues, I go to the range with it and people ask why I dump so much money targer shooting with a .45 and all I say is "Train with what you'll be carrying."

If you go 1911 don't just stick in a holster first thing, go to a range that rents, rent a 1911(I've never seen a range that didn't have a 1911 for rent) spend some quality bonding time with it and see what you think. Then go buy one and go to the range some more.

1911 is a great carry gun once you get used to the platform it becomes second nature. Really enjoy both my colt and Kimber in my opinion you can't go wrong with either one
    Kimber S/S tle pro

Bud White - If you were a woman, I think I would have to love you!

This (1911 issue- not the love thing) is an argument I have had with numerous other firearms instructors.

I hear comments like "experts only gun" and "I would never let a beginner touch one". My opinion of this is BULL.

The 1911 was my first gun. I bought it for all the wrong reasons but was luckily very happy with it. Fortunately, I took my gun to the range and practiced with it without knowing it was an "experts only gun" so when I first heard this comment I wondered: why? I guess some people think that the combination of grip safety, thumb safety and light trigger pull is too much to think about.

My retort to that is: practice with ANY gun and it's operation will become second nature.

Recently, I had a 17 year old student who I started on a 22 and then let shoot my Kimber. He seemed rather bored through out until he fired the 45. He enjoyed the 1911 so much that, I thought he should probably have finished by smoking a cigarette.

Bottom line: the 1911 is a great gun and if you like the feel of it, there won't be any problem switching to one.

Possible explanation for "Experts" thing...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I hear comments like "experts only gun" and "I would never let a beginner touch one". My opinion of this is BULL.
    I think they say this because old guys with 1911s like to think they are "experts" in something.

VIP Member

I'm making the switch...

I'm planning on switching from my SIG P226 to a 1911 as my primary carry weapon. I just purchased a Kimber CDP Pro II.

I know my SIG inside and out. The 1911 however, is a totally different animal and less forgiving of carelessness! I don't think it's less safe, it's just different, especially to me!

My routine for this transition is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I plan on a lot of range time before I start to carry it.
    I want to develop not just familiarity with the weapon but muscle memory and most of all safe handling in every situation. I am practicing malfunction drills too… simulated stove pipes, out of battery, double stacks etc. (I have a bunch of snap caps and some empty brass.)

Every time I handle my 1911 I deliberately take it slow and think before I do anything.

As much as I like my new 1911 and am anxious to carry it, I won’t let myself get ahead of my retraining! I did the same thing when I bought my first SIG.

That’s just me… it’s been quite a while since I’ve had a 1911. (1970!)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Pogo - you might be right but several of the instructors who have made these comments are young guys and do so while singing the praises of Glocks.

Gee......maybe I'M the old guy with the 1911

Thumper - that was my general response during these arguments: if you aren't familiar with the firearm, don't carry it. If you want to carry it, practice until all the movements are committed to muscle memory.

I guess one thing we gun people have in common is that we ARE an opinionated bunch......but I could be wrong.

JD
    Administrator
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I know my SIG inside and out. The 1911 however, is a totally different animal and less forgiving of carelessness! I don't think it's less safe, it's just different, especially to me!

My routine for this transition is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I plan on a lot of range time before I start to carry it.
    I want to develop not just familiarity with the weapon but muscle memory and most of all safe handling in every situation. I am practicing malfunction drills tooÖ simulated stove pipes, out of battery, double stacks etc. (I have a bunch of snap caps and some empty brass.)

Every time I handle my 1911 I deliberately take it slow and think before I do anything.

As much as I like my new 1911 and am anxious to carry it, I wonít let myself get ahead of my retraining! I did the same thing when I bought my first SIG.

Thatís just meÖ itís been quite a while since Iíve had a 1911. (1970!)
    This is the way to go, patience and training. Good choice on the CDP, I jsut recently purchased one that I found here in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the site.

You should never jump into bed with a new firearm so to speak, I know of atleast one person that I will never hand a 1911 to, a friend of mine that fancies himself as a shooter just can't comprehend the controls, granted more training should solve his issues. He's okay with Glocks and other "point and click" pistols but give him a 1911 and I get VERY nervous.

Bottom line PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post

Thumper - that was my general response during these arguments: if you aren't familiar with the firearm, don't carry it. If you want to carry it, practice until all the movements are committed to muscle memory.

I guess one thing we gun people have in common is that we ARE an opinionated bunch......but I could be wrong.
    You know Paul, when it comes to safety, I hope we're all very opinionated... and that we all agree that you can never be too safe!
    Last edited by Thumper; August 24th, 2006 at 07:54 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links