Trade value

Trade value

This is a discussion on Trade value within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I were to trade my Rock Island 1911A1 tactical model, blackhawk serpa holster, 4 mags , and a box of ammo for a Taurus ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Trade value

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Trade value

If I were to trade my Rock Island 1911A1 tactical model, blackhawk serpa holster, 4 mags , and a box of ammo for a Taurus PT96 (thats their beretta 96 ripoff) with a safariland level three holster, 2 mags, and 2 boxes of hollowpoints would that be a good trade for me?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

No... because you'd end up with a Taurus.
    msgt/ret, OD*, JD and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    NO......bad trade. The Roc is the better handgun.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

That is not a trade that is called robbery. And you the one coming up empty handed.

Administrator
    JD likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Just say "NO" (to the trade and Taurus in general)
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

What makes you think that would be a good trade?

Using Bud's gun shop (as a fair comparison point, since it is in the region, and they have almost everything online.)

The RIA is a superior weapon to begin with. The RIA on Bud's is priced at $461 for the full sized, .45 tactical model.

I am going to assume you meant the PT-100, which is their Beretta 96 rip off. As taurus doesn't make a PT96. Bud's has the PT-100 for $451.

So, you didn't add finishes, but the RIA is worth more new according to a rather respected gun dealer it would seem. And you are throwing more mags into the deal.

And the Taurus is a .40 (which many people don't like) vs a .45, and the RIA is better made.

But, if you decide to get with the Taurus, let me know next time you have a gun you want to trade (not that Taurus though) and I will make you a great trade.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

First off - are you sure you mean PT96 and not -92 or -99? For the sake of discussion, I'll assume you mean the Taurus 92 or 99 version of the Beretta 92.

Value-wise, I'd say it's a fair trade assuming the guns are both in good shape. The Taurus is a rock-solid gun, and unlike the Beretta, it can be carried cocked and locked with its frame-mounted (rather than slide-mounted) safety. Taurus quality has become erratic over the past several years, but most reports of quality issues center around their newer designs and guns made within the past few years. I'd have less hesitation about trading for the Taurus if it's more than 5 years old, than if it was newer.

The RIA is an entry-level 1911, which I'm sure you know. Neither gun holds its value like, say, a used Springfield or Beretta. If you look on GunBroker or the other auction sites, you'll get an idea of current market value for each gun.

Lots of Taurus bashers here who only repeat what they've heard, with no direct experience of their own. I've got 3 1911s and 3 Tauruses, and if you put your RIA on the table with the PT-92/99 and told me to pick one, I'd probably lean toward that Taurus.

But on the other hand, if you're stepping down from a .45 to a 9mm, that would kill the deal right there...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Taurus bashing is right
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

I'm a life long Taurus basher because I've owned two and both of them were big heavy paper weights. Open up a Taurus revolver compared to a S&W or Ruger revolver and the craftsmanship difference is immediately obvious.

As far as resale value, you'd be surprised at how the RIA hold their value... in a year that $461 dollar RIA will still sell for $400... the $450 Taurus though will probably only sell for closer to $300-$350...

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    If I were to trade my Rock Island 1911A1 tactical model, blackhawk serpa holster, 4 mags , and a box of ammo for a Taurus PT96 (thats their beretta 96 ripoff) with a safariland level three holster, 2 mags, and 2 boxes of hollowpoints would that be a good trade for me?
    I'd make that trade in a New York minute. The RIA is a cheap copy of a good design. The Taurus is a better made copy (frame safety) of a good design.

To all the Taurus bashers, I'll put my PT92 up against any other 9mm out there. Reliability, accuracy, you name it. Oh and it cost less than your gun to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I'd make that trade in a New York minute. The RIA is a cheap copy of a good design. The Taurus is a better made copy (frame safety) of a good design.

To all the Taurus bashers, I'll put my PT92 up against any other 9mm out there. Reliability, accuracy, you name it. Oh and it cost less than your gun to boot.
    Ill take you up on that....Hee Hee...

Chris Keep the RIA.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I agree with the others, never trade down. Keep the RIA.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Just like everything else in life,personal preference. I have the RIA officers,and I can stand side by side to my Kimber totin buddy and shoot just as good,or just as bad as him.
    And Taurus? Works for me.Im not gonna be on this earth long enough to "wear out" the "cheaper grade" machining on my 605. I cant afford the money it would cost in ammo to even try.
    No offense taken whatsoever-thats the beauty of sites like this.We all have a common love of our guns
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Have you ever owned a RIA? If so you would know there is a significant difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. As in a great value for the price point.

I now own or have owned 1911 platform handguns by most of the top makers including SA, Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson and the RIA will run with them all as an entry level model. They are an exceptional value.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links