Smith and Wesson M&P Questions...

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson M&P Questions... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in picking up a Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm. In particular I wanted the model with the 5 inch barrel. I ...

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar

I am interested in picking up a Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm. In particular I wanted the model with the 5 inch barrel. I was wondering what the difference between the M&P9L and the M&P9 Pro, as I have seen a few with 5 inch barrels. But the price difference on the Smith and Wesson website is a few hundred dollars.

I am looking for the regular Longslide with nothing but the extra barrel. I plan to send it to Apex Tactical and have them do their magic. I believe the pro has a modified trigger. I want to turn it into a possible carry gun.

Either way, I was hoping someone could explain the differences to me.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I could be wrong but I think the "L" is just a longer barrel/slide while the "pro" has a longer barrel/slide, better trigger along with a hi-ves front site
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Weird... this exact same post was just made on floridashootersnetwork.

Trigger and sights on pro are better. Both come in 4.25" or 5" barrels. Apex trigger is better than stock pro trigger.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I believe the M&P 9 (without the L) is intended for competition. It has better sights and shorter trigger pull.

A popular recommendation for some time was to go with the L version and put the difference into Apex parts. My personal experience with the MP40Pro was that the trigger was very unremarkable, and I soon reworked it. I'm certain many others have had a different experience--but overall, my impression is that the M&P triggers are a bit hit-or-miss. Regardless, I have to think you'd love the 5" in 9 whichever way you decide to go.

I own 2 M&Ps and love them both. I doubt I could shoot any handgun more accurately than my M&P45c, and my 40Pro is just a dream to shoot in IDPA. I'll be happy to buy a 3rd M&P should I find the slightest excuse.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    Weird... this exact same post was just made on floridashootersnetwork.

Trigger and sights on pro are better. Both come in 4.25" or 5" barrels. Apex trigger is better than stock pro trigger.
    I posted it there and on another forum. I wanted to get as much information as possible.

Thanks for all of the responses so far. So does anyone feel the pro has a better trigger than the Apex kit?

Bump.

Does anyone know if they still make the M&P 9L?

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Discontinued.

Pro series only for long slide model.

I currently own the M&P .40 pro serries.... shoots like a dream. Sights are amazing, and the trigger pull compared to my buddy's (whom ironically got me hooked on buying my M&P) is much smoother, as he has the "regular". And if i may make a recommendation, look into a .40cal. the you can buy mags and drop in barrels to convert it into a 9mm or 357sig... it is awesome especially when buying ammo for the range.

Oh and my m&p pro serries is my EDC.... i give it 3 thumbs up!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

If you go to the M&P Forum, there was a post there that had a link to a video that would answer your questions. It explained the differences between a handgun made in the Performance Center vs. a Pro Series gun. Sorry, but I'm a computer Luddite and don't have the link.

IIRC, the Pro Series uses some of the better parts from the Performance Center, but they are assembled in the "general" part of the factory, then sent back to the Perf. Center for a final inspection by one of their guys. I believe the tolerances are tighter overall, the trigger pull is supposed to be slightly less out of the box. HTH.

Bill
    NRA Life Member

Sorry, that should have been the S&W Forum. Anyway here's the link (I hope): Smith and Wesson Pro Series - YouTube. If it doesn't work, you can always just search for it on youtube.
    NRA Life Member

NO!

So does anyone feel the pro has a better trigger than the Apex kit?
    As someone else said, I believe the M&P triggers are somewhat hit-or-miss (no pun intended). My personal experience, with three different new M&P9's, is that the Apex triggers are preferable to either the Pro Series trigger or a standard M&P9 with the Performance Center sear and action job.

After experiencing the Apex trigger on a standard M&P9, and comparing it to my wife's JG that had had the Performance Center work, I had the Apex trigger installed in my Pro Series pistol and it was a noticeable improvement.

Yeah, I am bullish on the Apex triggers.
    Last edited by kudzu; February 8th, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Links