Former Glock Gen 3 owner...question about Gen 4.

This is a discussion on Former Glock Gen 3 owner...question about Gen 4. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I have a question concerning the grip size of the Gen 4 (G19 or G26). I loved my G17/G26. BUT...sold them because they ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 64zebra
  • 1 Post By genauwiedu
  • 1 Post By wheelyfun101

Thread: Former Glock Gen 3 owner...question about Gen 4.

Hey all,

I have a question concerning the grip size of the Gen 4 (G19 or G26). I loved my G17/G26. BUT...sold them because they grip, for me was to fat. I hear that the Gen 4 grips are actually slimmer, while keeping the double stack magazine. Is this true? I can't find specs on tis. Is this a noticeable difference? Again, for me, I just wasn't "feelin'" the grip. But, would go back if it's a solid difference.

thanks,
    matt

Try it. I felt a difference. Bought the gen4 g26. Love it.

My first carry gun was a Gen 4 G19. I can't compare it to the Gen 3 but I can say it has performed flawlessly. I'm happy and will purchase another Glock.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I have the Gen4 Glock22 and I read somewhere that without any backstraps attached which would be the #1(small) #2(medium-considered the same size grip as Gen3) #3(Large)

VIP Member
    well they're not slimmer if by slimmer you mean less width (side to side on grip), the different back straps make the front to back depth of the grip slimmer if you wanna use that term, but yes they do make for a smaller overall grip size
    mlomeli likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

The Glock hump is reduced by a good amount when not using any back straps. I did not like Glock at all until I held a Gen4. Now I own 2 and love them.
    mlomeli likes this.

Alright, thanks. What I was looking for.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have a G30, which is about as fat as my hand can handle comfortably. I couldn't tell much difference with the G30 SF. The Gen 4 G22 without added backstraps (smallest size) fit my hand very well, and that in itself would make me look at a Gen 4 over a Gen 3 if I were in the market for another Glock.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    Got rid of my Gen3 G27...grip was a tad too slippery and fat...

Picking up a new Gen4 G26 next week. The slimmer Gen4 grip fits perfectly, and the new stippling is much more aggressive!
    Glock subcompacts are now my favorite again!
    genauwiedu likes this.

I knew I shouldn't have made this topic...my mouth speaks faster than my wallet...

^ once you get the cash together make the plunge, you won't regret it. After my buddy held my gen 4's he went and stippled all 3 of his gen 3's. Then ended up buying a Gen4 17 anyways.

My gen 4 g26 came with 2 backstraps only. Leave them both off and you have a smaller grip than the gen 3, the smallest backstrap is identical to gen 3, and so on. I have smallish hands as well and I find that with the bacstraps left off, it has a much better feel to me than the gen 3. You will also like the bigger mag release button as well.

I sold my Gen 3s and got Gen 4s. World of difference in my hand.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I also didn't like the Gen3 grips when I was testing guns before buying. I wound up with a Gen4 and started shooting with the smallest backstrap configuration (you don't put on a backstrap, it's basically the equivalent of short framed Glocks). I found that after about 500 rounds I was getting "Glock Knuckle", a painful swelling caused by the middle knuckle of your middle finger rubbing on the trigger guard during shooting. My problem was that I was over gripping to compensate for the the shorter frame. I now have the Medium backstrap on, so the gun is as thick as the Gen3. It took getting used to, but my finger doesn't hurt after shooting 200 rounds in one session.

The difference between the backstraps is most noticeable when you pull the trigger. Just beware for glock knuckle and don't go filing down the trigger guard when you can avoid the problem by throwing a backstrap on.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Links