Remember me saying the G22 had about 50% more recoil than the G17, well....

This is a discussion on Remember me saying the G22 had about 50% more recoil than the G17, well.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Walden The math certainly does get complex. I was taking a partial differential equations class and we eventually around to doing LaPlace's ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Remember me saying the G22 had about 50% more recoil than the G17, well....

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    The math certainly does get complex. I was taking a partial differential equations class and we eventually around to doing LaPlace's equation in three dimensions. We looked at fluid flow and heat transfer, so I decided to combine them and model the expansion of gasses as they exit the barrel of a gun. Pretty cool stuff. Let me see if I have my Mathematica graphs
    Now your waving candy in front of the baby!

You'd better have some graphs - you can't tease us like that!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Nerds! If you guys start posting about pocket protectors, I'm banning you all.

"Just blame Sixto"

I didn't understand 3/4 of what you were talking about, but I do have a question. Given that all the math is correct and proven, how much does the grip shape play into this? I know back in the 70's when ole Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton were battling about which big caliber was better, the bottom line was that no matter the load or bullet a single action (cowboy style) revolver had a lot less felt recoil because the design of the backstrap allowed the gun to roll in your hand. The 1911 had more felt recoil, but follow up shots were quicker because of less muzzle jump. The geometry of different grips has always interested me, but not enough to do an extensive study. I did enjoy the thread.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nerds! If you guys start posting about pocket protectors, I'm banning you all.

Pocket protectors! I haven't seen those since the 'walk on the moon days'. That would be a neat thing to get started again!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    I didn't understand 3/4 of what you were talking about, but I do have a question. Given that all the math is correct and proven, how much does the grip shape play into this? I know back in the 70's when ole Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton were battling about which big caliber was better, the bottom line was that no matter the load or bullet a single action (cowboy style) revolver had a lot less felt recoil because the design of the backstrap allowed the gun to roll in your hand. The 1911 had more felt recoil, but follow up shots were quicker because of less muzzle jump. The geometry of different grips has always interested me, but not enough to do an extensive study. I did enjoy the thread.
    Don't let the details spook you. They are only there for one reason - peer review, i.e. so that other similar type people (not sure what that means exactly) can check my work. As a result of me posting the details, Smitty caught a typo on my part so I got to correct it.

The thing you need to take from all this is you can get a fairly accurate indication of recoil with the simple formula.

Regarding your inquiry about the gun/hand geometry, I can't really speak to that, there are just so many variables, hand mass, hand size, wrist pivot point, and then we'd have to move to the arms. What I'm trying to show is what recoil the hand/arms have to deal with with various bullet weights, gun weights, and bullet energies.
    denver likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links