Slim 9mms part 2

This is a discussion on Slim 9mms part 2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bersa makes good firearms. I have an old Thunder 9 ultra compact and it is a solid performer. The new BP9cc is out and I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Slim 9mms part 2

Bersa makes good firearms. I have an old Thunder 9 ultra compact and it is a solid performer. The new BP9cc is out and I have handled one in my LGS and it feels great in hand. That's one I would definitely check out before I made a decision. The Ruger LC9 is a good gun as well. I know several people with them and they really like them. I've seen several recent issues with trigger springs, but that may have been a limited issue and Ruger has made it right. Ruger has good CS, so I wouldn't be discouraged by it. My 709 has been great, so I can't speak to their CS. There were initial reports of some issues with the 709 extractors, but mine is an early stainless slide model with no issues. Most of the extractor problems were the result of people releasing the slide on a manually chambered round. The extractors are fixed and not spring loaded and would break. The chamber must be loaded via the magazine. Follow the manual and it functions fine. These other thin 9s were not available when I bought my 709, but if I had to choose today the 709 still meets my particular needs better than the others.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We looked at both the LC9 and the 709 for my wife. While the LC9 was reliable, the trigger was a deal breaker on it, just way too long for her. The 709 trigger was much better, until it malfunctioned. Taurus was unable to fix it, so sold it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I bought a Ruger LC9 yesterday and took it to the range today on my lunch break. On a CC pistol that may be worn AIWB pointing at my junk, I appreciate the revolver-like trigger pull and the thumb safety. The trigger took some getting used to as I was used to shooting my LCP and Glock 23. I had one FTE in 50 rounds of Federal 9mm FMJ on my second magazine. Not bad for a pistol that hadn't been cleaned since the factory. My groups started out around 6 to 8 inches until I got used to the trigger pull and then created one ragged hole at around ten yards.

2012-02-07 12.43.57.jpg

Over 4500 problem free rounds through my Taurus PT709. Very accurate. One thing I noticed is that when it first came out, I saw them selling at gun shows for as low as $275 for the blued ones. Now this year I see the same blued ones for $100 more at $375. I guess more and more people are purchasing them hence the rise in prices. God Bless

I know this is crazy, but a slim, fits comfortably in your hand 9mm. A later production Walther P1, there is nothing about it that I have found that I don't like. Its not heavy and it is very accurate. Mine is a 1 of 81 production (Jan, 1981) never issued, never fired. I would recommend it to anyone and my brother the LEO, thinks it is a great pistol also.

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oneyeopn View Post
    I know this is crazy, but a slim, fits comfortably in your hand 9mm. A later production Walther P1, there is nothing about it that I have found that I don't like. Its not heavy and it is very accurate. Mine is a 1 of 81 production (Jan, 1981) never issued, never fired. I would recommend it to anyone and my brother the LEO, thinks it is a great pistol also.
    Well maybe not comfortably. But the feel of the guns was pretty decent for there size. This gun will be what I carry in hot summer months and cooler weather will be my springfield xd

wait for the Bersa or get a Kahr.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

If you would like to see a slimmer single stack from Glock, I suggest you go to their Facebook page GLOCK Inc. - Local Business - Smyrna, GA | Facebook and leave a recommendation (look on the top right of the page) or leave comments on their posts. This is what I just left them:

I love my Glock 23. I was looking for a slimmer single stack 9mm or .45 for concealed carry. Its too bad that the only single stack in the Glock lineup is well over an inch in width. People are yelling for a slim single stack subcompact from Glock but Glock doesn't seem to be listening. I put my money where my mouth is and I bought a Ruger LC9 instead. If Glock made a single stack 9mm or .45 with a width of an inch or less I would be all over it.

LC9 has a magazine disconnect, a long trigger pull, and a horrendous muzzle flip. Do not recommend. The trigger really sucks compared to a Kahr.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I have not shot the Ruger, but the Taurus is actually pretty decent. Good trigger for a small polymer gun (not as heavy or long as the Ruger), decent sights, low recoil. It has an odd feel when you pick it up, but after shooting it, it's actually pretty ergonomic.
    Hakkaa päälle!

You put a Kahr next to the Ruger or Bersa you will choose the Kahr. Shoot the three you will go with the Kahr. Slim 9 for a decent price hard to beat the Kahr CM9.

CM9

CM9093 (3.0" Barrel)
    Black polymer frame, matte stainless slide
    MSRP: $517.00
    Now Shipping!!
    Ships with one magazine only
    Register as an authorized dealer.

Caliber: 9mm
    Capacity: 6+1
    Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
    Barrel: 3.0", conventional rifling; 1 - 10 right-hand twist
    Length O/A: 5.42"
    Height: 4.0"
    Slide Width: .90"
    Weight: Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
    Grips: Textured polymer
    Sights: Drift adjustable, white bar-dot combat sights
    Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide*
    Magazine: 1 - 6 rd flush floorplate
    >> Guide to Kahr Magazines

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    You put a Kahr next to the Ruger or Bersa you will choose the Kahr. Shoot the three you will go with the Kahr. Slim 9 for a decent price hard to beat the Kahr CM9.

CM9

CM9093 (3.0" Barrel)
    Black polymer frame, matte stainless slide
    MSRP: $517.00
    Now Shipping!!
    Ships with one magazine only
    Register as an authorized dealer.

Caliber: 9mm
    Capacity: 6+1
    Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
    Barrel: 3.0", conventional rifling; 1 - 10 right-hand twist
    Length O/A: 5.42"
    Height: 4.0"
    Slide Width: .90"
    Weight: Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
    Grips: Textured polymer
    Sights: Drift adjustable, white bar-dot combat sights
    Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide*
    Magazine: 1 - 6 rd flush floorplate
    >> Guide to Kahr Magazines
    I've never shot a Kahr. I hear really good comments and I'm sure it too, is a great pistol. However, my Ruger LC9, brand new, was $350. That's a fairly big price difference and I LIKE all the safety features the LC9 has.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlando465 View Post
    I've never shot a Kahr. I hear really good comments and I'm sure it too, is a great pistol. However, my Ruger LC9, brand new, was $350. That's a fairly big price difference and I LIKE all the safety features the LC9 has.
    My LC9 was $349.00 and I got a $50.00 gift card with the purchase. The safety features are fine as long as you have a good understanding of how the weapon works. I would rather carry my G-19 or even G-26 but for certain times I like the thin single stack. Always in a holster never mexi style.

I own 2 LC9's, the magazine disconnect is easily removable and actually improves the trigger pull. It was designed as a personal defense weapon, not a range gun. The trigger takes a little getting used to but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. If you absolutely cannot stand the long pull there is a trigger kit available that will drastically reduce the trigger pull length and weight. They are great little guns, I have not had a problem with either of mine, and they both get plenty of range time.

I wanted to like the Ruger LC9 because of its size and American made but the trigger pull was extremely long and I did not like that. Also the recoil seemed to be alot compared tto the Taurus 709. The taurus trigger was better and thought it shot left I was able to adjust the rear sights to correct that. I went with the taurus slim.

I also have Ruger sr9c and that gun is a cadillac compared to the other two. extremely accurate and the trigger pull is buttery smooth.

If I could get those qualities in a gun the size of the taurus with the ever elusive 9 rd mag, that would be perfect. Unfortunatley the sr9c, while close, is just a little too heavy and big to be perfect in my eyes for EDC. Although I do carry it occasionally

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links