Slim 9mms part 2

Slim 9mms part 2

This is a discussion on Slim 9mms part 2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After researching and looking around Ive narrowed my choices down to two models. Keep in mind that Im also byuing a second gun for other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Slim 9mms part 2

Slim 9mms part 2

After researching and looking around Ive narrowed my choices down to two models. Keep in mind that Im also byuing a second gun for other purposes. And Im awaiting the bersa bp9cc so I can take a look at that gun as it is in my price point. The other two models are tha taurus slim and the ruger lc9. Im leaning towards the taurus as my other 9mms are striker fired also. Keeping with same trigger style. But my questions are for ruger and taurus owners of these two. How does yours shoot and how is the recoil of each and how do they compare to other guns. I know they are small and light weight and recoil more than larger guns but what would they compare to. Thanks for the time.

As an LC9 owner, I can tell you the gun is very accurate despite the long trigger pull and the recoil isn't an issue. I can't speak for the Taurus but I always prefer to buy American made guns.
    carracer likes this.

I don't own any of the three you listed. I own a Kahr PM9 and CW9. If I had to choose from those three, it would be either the Bersa or the Ruger. I haven't fired or handled one of the Bersa's but they are good quality. I'd look hard at the Bersa and if I didn't buy it, it would be the Ruger.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have an LC9 and was quite pleasantly surprised with it's accuracy.
    I am a 1911 guy for the most part, and regularly carry a H&K P7M8, so I am used to ~5lb single action triggers. SO the LC9 trigger was a change of pace. For a self defense gun, I think it is fine and I can still do a pretty quick and accurate 3 or four shot sequence with it. One of my favorite guns to shoot is a stainless Colt Officers model .45, and I think the LC9 is pretty comparable in the recoil and handling department. I also like the thumb safety on the LC9 as it is very similar to the 1911 safeties I am accustomed to.
    I feel confident with the gun, and it fills the job for a small light SD gun well for me.
    It is very concealable and easy to carry. It is my go to gun for days where being detected would not go over well, such as movies or dinner with non enlightened family members.

I don't have much experience with other similar small guns, so take that for what it is worth.

I've been an LC9 owner for going on three weeks. During that time, I've had the gun in my possession for 1. At just over 200 rounds it failed to fire, and is in their shop with a trigger malfunction (a spring, we think).

CS has been very good, and I don't expect any further issues when the gun comes back. But when buying a less-expensive gun (like Taurus or the LC9) plan on putting 200-500 rounds through it to see if you've gotten one of the ones that slipped by Quality Control.

Both companies have a reputation (earned!) for a small percentage of their guns coming to the buyer with a mechanical defect. Both companies also have a reputation (also earned!) for making those situations right, at no cost to the customer, and being reliable after the initial repair.

I like the LC9, and my Taurus PT-111. I'd just be aware for the first 500 rounds or so!

I own a Bersa Thunder and have never had a problem with it, it is a very well built gun. As for the LC9 I don't know much about it except it being an over engineered gun with too many safety features and that is what turned me off on to buying it so I spent about $30 more and got the Kahr CM9 for EDC.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

The Kel Tec PF9 is also hard to beat. It has a cleaner break to the trigger but is also a long pull due to it being double action only.
    Richard58 and carracer like this.

I was in my LGS today looking at compact 9's. I was interested in the Taurus 709 Slim but was put off by the weird trigger pull. I bought the LC9. I actually like the thumb safety. I stopped by the range on the way home but didn't get to shoot it due to the long line. I'm going to break it down and clean it and practice my trigger control tonight and try the range again tomorrow.

I had the Taurus Slim PT709 for close to a month and then traded it in. It wasn't bad at all; quite the contrary. It was very subtle with recoil, particularly for a gun that size, and had very little imprint. Carrying it in an IWB felt great.

The accuracy sucked, but my rear sight was whacked. I called Taurus to get another and they sent it out quickly.

Before I traded it, I put quite a few rounds through it, no problems with feed/eject.

I liked it, but liked the PT111 better and eventually got it.

Don't own either.
    Handling the Taurus slim, I noticed that the trigger is VERY long. I was turned off by the trigger. The LC9 seems to have a shorter trigger (but haven't fired it).

have fun.

I've had a Taurus PT709 for several years and it has been great. VERY accurate, recoil isn't bad, easy to carry. I've got 2000 flawless rounds through mine. People who have handled them (i.e. not shot or owned them) and say they don't like the trigger are not re-setting the trigger before every pull. It has a second strike capability, but that pull (which you would only have if you had a dud round) is different from the regular single action pull you would have after chambering a round or firing a round. The normal pull has a bit of creep with no resistance and a short crisp break with a short reset. If you want to try it, be sure to rack, pull, rack, pull, etc. to get the real feel.

People talk about trigger pull characteristics like creep, staging, etc. My philosophy is if I'm a SD situation I'm going to be pulling hard and fast and won't even notice that sort of thing. If I'm target shooting, that's a whole different story. Target practice and SD practice are two different things. I learned to shoot on old double action revolvers, so boutique style trigger characteristics aren't exactly a priority for me.
    vilecanards likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have the 709 slim and like it a lot. I don't keep close count but I have at least 800 rounds through it with 100% reliability. It shoots very accurate. I put a Hogue grip on it and Pearce grip extension.
    Pearce Grips
    vilecanards likes this.

Thanks for the input and replies. Im still looking into the bersa as well. I have a thunder 380 which I like really well. But its a 380 and im looking into getting a small 9mm for warm weather carry. And those 3 are on my list. Some others are also on the list. But the ruger and taurus were standouts for the way they look and feel in my hands. Thanks again and stay safe.

You will get what you pay for,.... but the Ruger is best of your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    You will get what you pay for,.... but the Ruger is best of your choices.
    I agree! Bought my LC9 early January and love, love, love it! Fits my hands just right. Light weight, and thin making it very nice for IWB carry in my Cross Breed mini tuck or CC in purse without making my purse weigh a ton. Gun is very accurate. I'm not a great shot (yet) but shoot efficiently with it. My husband is much better shot and first try, hit his marks repeatedly. I've put over 300 rounds through it so far and have not had one failure of any sort. Highly recommend!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links