Swap out PPS for G26?

Swap out PPS for G26?

This is a discussion on Swap out PPS for G26? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was sitting around campus today with nothing much to do, so I was surfing DC and thinking about my carry situation. I am currently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Swap out PPS for G26?

Swap out PPS for G26?

I was sitting around campus today with nothing much to do, so I was surfing DC and thinking about my carry situation. I am currently carrying a PPS in 9mm, and a G19 occasionally. G19 usually takes the role of night stand gun.

Recently had to pick up a couple mags at $45 bucks a pop. This has caused me to consider swapping out to a G26. The opportunity to have interchangeable mags, and a common platform is appealing. I would assume some of my holsters would be interchangeable as well.

I like this slim profile of the PPS, but cannot imagine the glock is much thicker.

I understand this is a personal preference issue, but figured I would get some opinions anyways. Perhaps someone has some input that I haven't considered.

Anyhow, what you think?

Senior Moderator
    Is your only gripe with the PPS the cost of magazines?

Or are there other reasons you are unhappy with it?

And how many magazines did you just buy? IF you have 3-5 good functioning mags for it, then you shouldn't need anymore for a while. You aren't going to get what you paid for them in trade in value.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I was sitting around campus today with nothing much to do, so I was surfing DC and thinking about my carry situation. I am currently carrying a PPS in 9mm, and a G19 occasionally. G19 usually takes the role of night stand gun.

Recently had to pick up a couple mags at $45 bucks a pop. This has caused me to consider swapping out to a G26. The opportunity to have interchangeable mags, and a common platform is appealing. I would assume some of my holsters would be interchangeable as well.

I like this slim profile of the PPS, but cannot imagine the glock is much thicker.

I understand this is a personal preference issue, but figured I would get some opinions anyways. Perhaps someone has some input that I haven't considered.

Anyhow, what you think?
    I already have a G26 and love it. It's a fantastic gun to shoot. And while it isn't going anyplace, I am looking for a thinner 9mm.

One of the candidates is the PPS because it is quite a bit thinner. 1.18" for the Glock, 0.91" for the PPS in the dimension that matters. The difference is just over a quarter of an inch in thickness. That last quarter inch makes a BIG difference. Glocks are not skinny guns.

The list of guns thinner than the Glock with triggers I like is pretty short, like one (P238) at the moment, but I haven't had a chance to shoot a PPS yet. I'm hoping the new SIG P938 turns out to be as good as I hope it will be based on owning a P238.

Bottom line, I wouldn't trade the PPS in on a Glock. Getting a Glock in addition to the PPS for times you can hide it works, but trust me on this, there will be times you can't hide the Glock that you can hide the PPS and you will want the PPS back when that happens.

Fitch
    Philly Boy likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

the mag release bugs me a bit. admittedly I do not practice reloads much at all with it. treat as 8 shots and done. due to that I use it when staying on the burbs. when I hit cleveland I switch to the g19.

got 3 mags total. would carry the g19 more but it pops out whenever I bend at all.

merely considering options at the moment. tried revolver for a minute. guess I am one of the new generation of kids who doesn't appreciate the classics.

Look at the Sig P938 for a slim 9 mm.

Senior Moderator
    Swap it out...for the G-26
    AZ Hawk likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    View this video and you will see that the PPS is significantly thinner: Walther PPS - YouTube
    Bring the video up to 13:25 min. and see the significant difference between the G26 and PPS demonstrated by using calipers, or just watch the entire vid.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    1.18" for the Glock, 0.91" for the PPS in the dimension that matters. The difference is just over a quarter of an inch in thickness. That last quarter inch makes a BIG difference. Glocks are not skinny guns.
    - I agree 100%. I have a Kahr PM9 and also own a Glock 19. I've also owned a Glock 27. The difference is very noticeable to me. I can forget that I'm carrying the Kahr. I never forget that I'm carrying the Glock.

Keep the Walther

I have the 19, 26 and pps and to me the 26 carries no better than the 19. The 26 is just too thick to me.

Just got the G26 Gen 4 a week or so ago and it's a great gun. It's accurate, reliable, easy to conceal with the right holster, nice trigger pull, easy to field strip, you know it's reliable because it has the name GLOCK on it, and it comes with a lot of options, 2 additional back straps, and 3 magazines. You can't go wrong with it.
    God made man……Sam Colt made them equal.

Beretta PX4 Carrier
    Fourth Gen Glock 26 Carrier

Keep the PPS. I'm a huge Glock proponent, but I also own a Kahr PM9 for those times I can't hide the Glock. The thickness of the PM9 is about the same as the PPS. Magazines are a necessity and should be considered a small price to pay for the ability to easily conceal a handgun. Consider good holsters, good belts and lots of training to be as good as you can be with whatever you carry.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

I can see some merit in the interchangable magazine argument as well as consistency in platform...but mostly in the context of carrying both simultaneously (primary access and secondary access or BUG). Now whether or not you intend to carry both at the same time or can carry both at the same time with your current carry belts, holsters, etc. is a different matter. If not, then you have to decide if having common mags and platform is worth giving up the thinner PPS profile and ease of carry. I personally don't see the 26 as being THAT much easier to carry than the 19. Barrel length doesn't really impact it much and the width is the same. The only real difference is the length of the grip. If you find the G19 difficult to carry as compared to the PPS, then I wouldn't anticipate the 26 being much better in that department. I'd keep the PPS and add the 26 before I'd let it go. A good S&W snubnosed revolver is also a good choice for deep concealment and a BUG.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

You will regret it if you let the PPS go....sometimes we all just "think" too much.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Just recently had the same debate with my self for my edc. I have been deciding between the PPS, Kahr pm9, and the 26. The biggest factor for me was picking them up one right after another and really feeling that difference in width.
    Family first, that's why I carry.

I imagine I will come full circle. I don't know whining haven't just pulled the two out of my safe to compare.

I may buy a mr. softy for the g19. for 30 dollars I could have a much better idea about appendix carrying a glock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links