Glock safety concern question

This is a discussion on Glock safety concern question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I visited a local gun shop to check out a Kimber Ultra Carry II 3" BBL .45 and the G-36. The dealer/gunsmith was very knowlegable ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I visited a local gun shop to check out a Kimber Ultra Carry II 3" BBL .45 and the G-36. The dealer/gunsmith was very knowlegable and sincerely helpful.

He said that he would prefer not to sell me a Glock for a CCW if carried with "1 in the pipe" because of the lack of safety's. He compared it to the Kimber then referenced all of the accidental shootings incl. those in LE with the Glock. ( His CCW is a Kimber ).

This was due to the trigger "latch" (my treminology) of the Glock.

Being a newbie can anyone comment on this?

Glock afficiando's will tell you that it does have a safety, in fact it has several. Unfortunately, none will prevent the Glock from discharging if you place your finger on the trigger.

I do not think this makes a Glock unsafe, but it is less forgiving of a moment's inattentiveness.

Either the Glock or the Kimber is a good choice. If you prefer the Glock, get it.

As long as your holster covers the trigger up I wouldn't say it's anymore unsafe than any other double action pistol. I carry my Px4 with the safety off and I still haven't had any negligient discharges.

I think it's safe to say that 99% of ND come from operator error and not a mechanical malfunction of the firearm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6 View Post
    I do not think this makes a Glock unsafe, but it is less forgiving of a moment's inattentiveness.
    Well said! I agree with what all have said regarding the safety of Glocks vis-a-vis a negligent discharge. Exercise due care with the four cardinal rules, and you will be fine whichever you choose.

Good luck, and good shooting!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    " I visited a local gun shop to check out a Kimber Ultra Carry II 3" BBL .45 and the G-36. The dealer/gunsmith was very knowlegable and sincerely helpful."

He may have been sincere , and helpful , but he doesnt know crap
    about CCW.

A gun carried not ready to fire is about as useful as an Unloaded gun.
    .....Oh ....wait.... its the same thing.

You don't choose weapons based on how many poorly trained
    idiots have accidents with them.

A Glock carried loaded in a proper holster is as safe as any gun.

Whatever pistol you decide on - read the manual , practice on a
    range , and get some advice from people who actually CARRY.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Glocks are 100% safe coupled with the 'Rules of Gun Safety'. This can, of course, be said for any firearms....but I feel Glock owners benefit from simplity of design and function.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Do NOT rely on safeties, they fail, they get accidentally switched off etc...If you keep your finger off the trigger and TRAIN, no gun is any more dangerous than any other.
    And yes, he may be a nice guy, but knows nothing of CCW. Consider this: which gun will have more ND recorded, the one that costs at least $630-1000, and isn't really "in" or the one that costs $400, is considered "cool" and is carried by police, civilians, CCWers, thugs, morons and nincompoops everywhere? My point is that Glocks are EVERYWHERE, so of course there are more accidents with them.
    Also remember that quite a few people carry DA revolvers (and have for a long time) and there are no safeties on them either...

And finally, it's called a negligent discharge for a reason....

Lead Moderator
    Glocks aren't unsafe , fingers are. I do feel the Glock is more unforgiving with the short trigger pull and lack of manual safety.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Do NOT rely on safeties, they fail, they get accidentally switched off etc...If you keep your finger off the trigger and TRAIN, no gun is any more dangerous than any other.
    And yes, he may be a nice guy, but knows nothing of CCW. Consider this: which gun will have more ND recorded, the one that costs at least $630-1000, and isn't really "in" or the one that costs $400, is considered "cool" and is carried by police, civilians, CCWers, thugs, morons and nincompoops everywhere? My point is that Glocks are EVERYWHERE, so of course there are more accidents with them.
    Also remember that quite a few people carry DA revolvers (and have for a long time) and there are no safeties on them either...

And finally, it's called a negligent discharge for a reason....

Excellent and well thought out points.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Your Finger...

is the most important safety of all. If you think Glocks are unsafe because of the trigger, then you might want to be extra careful with that Kimber when you pull it for self-defense, release the safety, and make a decision...Kimber's 4.5lb trigger pull might even be more sensitive than the trigger of the Glock. You might even experience an 'unplanned' double tap!

In several of the self-defense courses I have taken, some scenarios may have you removing the safety as you draw...the finger is the key!

Watch anyone inexperienced pick up a gun...the finger almost always goes to the trigger. An experienced individual's finger will (or should) be WAY OFF the trigger.

Only my opinion...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just to clarify: he believes and carries 1 in the pipe. He carries the Kimber cocked and safety on. His position is that having to release the side safety with your thumb adds safety.

Thanks for all your comments - I'm like a sponge soaking up a lot of knowledge.

Hope you don't mind lots of questions.
    Kwesi

Economic motives plus personal preference?

I can understand the gun dealer being partial to his own type of CCW gun when making recommendations to a customer.

But additionally, don't Kimbers sell for considerably more than Glocks and probably carry a greater dollar profit margin per gun? Perhaps I am being overly cynical here.

The only safety that really matters is your finger, with all guns! Make sure you have a trigger guard on your holster. The only difference between a Glock and revolvers is that the Glock has a lighter trigger pull than most, however that also makes it an accurate gun to shoot especially for a newbie. I am not new to guns, but not that experienced with handguns. My wife and I train every week with our Glock 26's. A lot of that training involves how we handle the guns, never putting our fingers in the trigger guard till we are ready to shoot. Likewise removing the finger when you are through shooting.
    If you practice these simple techniques along with drawing and holstering and all the other general handgun safety rules you won't have a problem.

One thing I don't like about SA/DA pistols is the fact that they can have a substantial difference in trigger pull from double action to single action. I think that can be a little dangerous until a person is accustom to it.

Hope this helps and Good Luck,
    J.S.

Quote Originally Posted by kwesi View Post
    Just to clarify: he believes and carries 1 in the pipe. He carries the Kimber cocked and safety on. His position is that having to release the side safety with your thumb adds safety.

Thanks for all your comments - I'm like a sponge soaking up a lot of knowledge.

Hope you don't mind lots of questions.
    Kwesi
    I used to think that too. But when you draw a 1911 the safety gets flicked off right as you bring the weapon up (finger off the trigger) so really, the safety really only does anything when the weapon is holstered (and trigger protected)
    Considering that, both the 1911 and glock have no safeties once the weapon is drawn. Finger off the trigger is the #1 safety rule IMO.

I think the only thing the gun dealer was interested in was selling a high price pistol vs. a lesser priced one. He had profit on the brain. The glock is just as safe as ANY pistol provided that you don't home gunsmith it and keep your finger off the TRIGGER until ready to fire. I would venture to say that the Glock is 100% more reliable than the Kimber any day of the week and a reliable gun contributes to winning a gun fight. I would bet that if this particuliar shop owner was partial to a revolver that he would have attempted to sell you that instead of a Glock. I have 9 Glocks, no 1911's. I have had 1911's and I don't care for them (just me). I daily carry a Glock 19 and feel more than adequately armed to ANY encounter. There is a reason that Glock holds 85% or more of the LE market for duty weapons. The Glock 22 is the largest selling LE weapon in the US right now.

The glock has 3 safeties, the 1911 has 4 safeties (IIRC). The 1911 has more steps to get the gun into action when needed. The Glock operates much like a revolver, which is no more of less safe than the Glock.

Just some food for though;
    For what he is probably asking for the 1911 you could get the Glock with nite sights, holster, extra mags, ammo (alot of it) and range time. Most Glocks come with atleast 2 mags, even if they are 10 rounders. The Kimber comes with 1 mag, which is in the gun. Extra Glock mags are usually 18.00 NIW, Kimber mags are almost 2.5X's more than that new.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links