How many rounds before you are confident your pistol/ammo combo is reliable?

This is a discussion on How many rounds before you are confident your pistol/ammo combo is reliable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm usually a revolver guy, so jamming is not an issue. However, I've picked up a new CZ-75D PCR. Ran 100 rounds a ball range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How many rounds before you are confident your pistol/ammo combo is reliable?

VIP Member

How many rounds before you are confident your pistol/ammo combo is reliable?

I'm usually a revolver guy, so jamming is not an issue. However, I've picked up a new CZ-75D PCR. Ran 100 rounds a ball range ammo through it without a hitch. I'm likely going to use Golden Sabers 147 or 124 +P for the defensive load. I ordered a couple of boxes of both. However, how many in my carry ammo should I have down the pipe to know that the choice is "reliable", i.e., won't jam. A single mag seems like too little.

I'd hate to be in a dire situation and stovepipe after the first round.

Any advice?

What do all of you do to "proof" you gun/ammo combo?
    Last edited by PEF; February 6th, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Spelling...

2. Remove Ads

I run at least 100-200 rounds of JHP before I carry a gun.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

I always run about 150 rounds of jhp minimum. If there is even a small hint of an issue, I will not consider the firearm reliable until the manufacturer's break-in period is reached. I then re-evaluate.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

If it can get thru several magazines, it is ready in my opinion. You could fire 1000 thru it and have a jam or breakage on round 1001...or it could jam on round 1 and not jam again for 10,000 rounds.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

At least 150 of the exact round that I will carry making sure that I include every magazine in a rotation or two or three.

Basically, you want to be sure your gun can fire 200 rounds MINIMUM of your intended carry ammo without any failures whatsoever.

500 rounds is the optimal number in my opinion, but I realize that firing 500 rounds of premium SD ammunition is very cost prohibitive.

Also, be sure that ALL of your carry mags are 100% reliable.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

if people had total trust in the gun the would never have to carry a back-up

glockman, your sig is about the slickest quote I've seen in ages...just love it.

I like to always be checking, but if you're talking about a single, particular factory load then I'd agree--there's really not much need to run 10,000 rounds through the gun. I run a modest variety of loads in my carry gun for experimentation, and now know the one or two cases where it will reliably misbehave. But, I'm also confident it will reliably cycle all of the factory ammo I've put through it, and my primary handloads. Only 100 or 200 rds of some SD ammo, but I'm 100% confident that stuff will cycle.

Running a few magazines of anything through the carry gun every other week has helped me identify and correct magazine problems--so I just keep 'checking' to ensure those magazines always function. The gun itself I'm not much worried about anymore. It's sort of a 'does it work and keep working?' concept, where I run it just having been cleaned, and run it dirty as hell. Always in the 'getting to know you better' mindset, I guess.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

VIP Member
    Magazine, jams, etc. Maybe the CZ will be my BUG for my SW 60!

I think I have a plan now...I'll "break it in" with a couple of hundred rounds of cheaper HP and then run each mag at least several times with the Golden Sabers (at least Midway has them on sale right now, and with a $10 Remington rebate).

Yeah, a bit expensive, but....

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    testing a new semi for accuracy and reliabliity with 4 or 5 types of SD ammo on hand; perhaps 5 each and fill the middle of the mag with RN range ammo. these i've made with different heads & powder strengths.

eliminate any type that does not perform or misses poa/poi. change range ammo to test that also. code the mags, 3 per gun minimum to keep track of their performance also. if carrying a HP is important to you and the gun is picky as to which on it will eat, examine any that fail as to why
    if that answer satisifies you, stay with the ammo that works.

a little out of order but get a new to you gun and function test it. perhaps even strip and clean it. give special attention to the firing pin channel and extracter. and the springs...perhaps replace bbl and magazine springs if it is an older gun.

run 2 full mags of it and call it good.
    remember to use some rem oil every 50 rounds as some guns need to be wet. others just cycle better.
    examine the inside of the slide meets the frame rails-- bit shiny but anything unusal?
    more on one side than the other? deeper scratches?
    so in the end i've shot perhaps 100 rounds of sd ammo and twice that in 3 different kinds of range ammo i made.
    i've found what works and made progress finding a most accurate round.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If it can get thru several magazines, it is ready in my opinion. You could fire 1000 thru it and have a jam or breakage on round 1001...or it could jam on round 1 and not jam again for 10,000 rounds.
    I swear we agree more and more these days! Nothing but wise advice in your reply.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I think I have a plan now...I'll "break it in" with a couple of hundred rounds of cheaper HP and then run each mag at least several times with the Golden Sabers (at least Midway has them on sale right now, and with a $10 Remington rebate).

Yeah, a bit expensive, but....
    This is exactly what I do and I've found it works great! Good luck!

Like glockman said. I run about three or so mags. That's ball ammo. Then a couple mags of carry ammo. Then clean and carry. Good enough for me.

I usually run 200 rounds of FMJ through one just to get a feel for the gun and run it through its paces and then a couple mags of carry. Revolver, usually a box of 50 FMJs and a couple cylinders of carry and we're good. Mostly it is for me to learn the nuances of the gun and how I perform with it and to make sure there are no obvious mechanical issues out of the gate.
    DanielC likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Speak the truth,
    I depend on my carry gun and ammo but am not dependent on it.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links