Very newbie questions about Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on Very newbie questions about Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I hope that you will have patience with a newbie, but I'm a first time gun owner that wants to get more used to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ponchsox

Thread: Very newbie questions about Ruger LC9

Hello, I hope that you will have patience with a newbie, but I'm a first time gun owner that wants to get more used to gun ownership and handling a gun before I get a Wisconsin CC permit.

Anyhow, I bought a Ruger LC9, read the book that comes with it, and made sure I understood how to use its features. I took it out to some farmland to try out. I was worried about the recoil of the gun. Anyhow the recoil was very managable, even for my wife. My first time shooting a "real" gun, I put 5 of my first 7 bullets into a gallon milk jug at about 15 yards. I hope to improve with time and practice. The thing that got my attention was the loud report. I had brought Winchester rubber type ear plugs along with me, but even with the plugs, you could get a good 20 second ear ring from the gun. The ammo I was using was Federal American Eagle 115Gr. FMJ. I'm very new to guns (even at 37). I want to shoot the gun often to get much more proficient at it, but would like to know if I'm not choosing the correct ear protection, or if there are quieter ammo.

Please forgive me if these seem like stupid questions, I just want to be a knowlegable, safe member of the gun community.

Thank you kindly for your time,
    Scott

Welcome to the forum!

Different brands of 9mm ammunition is going to be around the same decibel level. If you heard ringing, you definitely did not wear adequate ear protection. I'm not exactly sure what kind of ear plugs you are using, but I like to use the foam ones. Make sure you roll them up a little and let them expand in your ear canal. They should immediately cut down the ambient noise around you. Some better advice is to double up with ear plugs AND ear muffs. Be very protective of your hearing, you can't fix damage to your hearing.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

May be the same ones you bought, but I've used the cheap orange ones bought at wal mart. They are rubberish and ribbed. Worked great for me. If you want to be as safe as possible get a nice set of ear muffs from your LGS (local gun shop).

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Family first, that's why I carry.

Double up, use ear plugs and ear muffs.
    pistola and helderberg like this.

Definitely your ear protection is faulty. Ear plugs are secondary to ear muffs. The set I have now have an input jack for my phone so I can listen to music while I shoot - fun on occasion.

Also, congrats on the LC9 - easy gun to carry.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Foam ear plugs are good if used in conjunction with something else. What you want is a set of headset hearing protectors. Prices range from $10. to several hundred dollars. The higher the noise reduction rating (NRR) the better. Look for something at least 22db NNR.

Hearing Protection SALE Ear Protection, Shooting Earplugs Earmuffs Earpods Electronic Hearing Protection Headsets, Plugs, Bands
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Double up, use ear plugs and ear muffs.
    Do this. You will never get your hearing back if you damage it. I double up every time on the range.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    As others have suggested, if shooting at an indoor range you'll need to double up with both plugs and ear muff. As a vet who had some hearing loss, I use Surefire EP-4s on an out door range and on indoor ranges I have them plus ear muff. The EP-4s are normally ±$10.00 and the electronic ear muff can go from $25.00 to $1,000.00. Most of the time you get what you pay for, but you'll need to try and she what you and your wife feels comfortable with.

Enjoy your LC9.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Welcome to the forum. +1 on double hearing protection. If you want to improve your shooting and your trigger pull while saving some money, do lots of dry firing at a point on the wall until you can do so without the front sight moving when the trigger breaks. You will have to make small adjustments to your grip and trigger finger placement until you can keep the front sight on target while dry firing. Safety first, last, and always.

Ring is a sign you really need to get some protection. Take if from someone that wears hearing aids.
    Good well fitted plugs protect the best good well fitted muffs are next no reason you can not wear both

I notice that Walmart has Winchester muffs for around $12. I think I'll use those and the foam type inserts together. I know that if the gun isn't as crazy loud I'll be much more likely to practice with it. And I'll get to have my hearing for later in life.

I want to thank everyone here for their advice. I know a person at the bottom step of the ladder can be annoying for seasoned pro's, but thank you for taking the time to steer me to the correct way to do things, you guys are a great group, and I hope to learn alot here.

Thanks again,
    Scott

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Gremlin: welcome to the forum and the world of shooting. I've been shooting for over 40 years, many of those years competitively. Thank God I still have most of my hearing because I've always used both foam plugs and ear muffs. Often the loud report will contribute to developing a flinch as well as ruining your hearing .....so, protect those ears!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Sponsored Links