Just FWIW: What state troopers carry...

This is a discussion on Just FWIW: What state troopers carry... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So NJ State Police is only one of 2 state agencies that use 9mm, and the only one to use the Sig 228. I wonder ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Just FWIW: What state troopers carry...

So NJ State Police is only one of 2 state agencies that use 9mm, and the only one to use the Sig 228.
    I wonder if they have them stock piled...or if they're still able to order them new?
    Anyone know?
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

2. Remove Ads

Troopers most dangerous weapon is a ball point pen.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    My cousin is a Cop in Colorado. Carries a Sig45 acp. He said he' going to a 9mm by choice for round count. he wants more rounds. But he has a M4 and shotty in his car.
    fwiw: a g21 45acp holds 13 +1

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    fwiw: a g21 45acp holds 13 +1
    He doesn't like Glocks. I already asked him that.

I understand that the prevalence of the .40 S&W comes from the round being marketed to agencies as a compromise between the .45 cal & 9mm.

That makes sense to me.

State police issue and concealed carry are dramatically apart. Its good to see the listings in the op. Its a little hard to correlate to concealed carry relevance..... ........ Troll

VIP Member
    Thanks for the interesting list. The Gunthorp PD (me) carries a 45. Sooner or later the other states will catch on. Those that carry a 380 use it as a drop gun.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Thanks for the post, OP.It was interesting and I was a LITTLE surprised to see Glock come up so often; but not totally!
    I'm not surprised at all in seeing Glock as being the most common and preferred WOC for standard LE issue since most states are running under very tight budgets and have to get the most bang for their buck (so to speak) while concurrently covering their backsides from potential legal liability issues by providing a weapon with a proven track record of very high reliability in spite of its relatively low cost. Not to say there aren't a number of brands and models with considerably higher reliability and quality; however, when trying to marry quality and functional reliability with the lowest cost, Glocks are pretty tough to equal - much less, better.

As far as the choice of a particular standardized caliber goes, my past LE experience has noted that caliber choice was usually up to the whim and personal preference of the chief, commander or commissioner of the agency (along with fitting ammo cost into departmental budget constraints) instead of by any scientific study of most effective ballastics data (which are a general crap-shoot that can be argued until the cows come home anyway).

Geeezzee, that being said, I've almost talked myself into buying my first Glock.

But then again, I guess I'm just too old, narrow-minded, and opinionated to muster up much desire for a plastic or light-alloy gun - especially when I was sternly lectured and deeply humiliated so often by my parents about such when I was a kid. My ears are still ringing with yelling like.... "You little wimp!! If you're such a whining little panty-waist that you can't carry a real piece of heavy steel around for a few hours and such a sucky, snot-nosed, woosie-muffin pansy that you can't handle the mild recoil of a big bore round, then you need to pack a little plastic water pistol and take your sissy butt outside to play jacks with your sister on the front porch!!"

That was my momma screaming at me while slapping the 4" S&W Model-29 .44 Special she carried around in her purse (I never had the cahoonies to bring up such a subject with my 'ole man)

OK, OK - just kiddin' everyone (except mom really did carry a model 29). Only plastic guns around when I was a kid were made by Mattel - gee, it's swell
    gunthorp likes this.

The 45 GAP shocked me, not that I am a student of LEO calibers.........Five states......

sucky, snot-nosed, woosie-muffin pansy
    Made me laugh!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Where did all the wheel guns go? Not a single state agency is using them. JK

I was surprised to see the prevalence of .40 cal. I knew it was popular, but not that popular.
    More firepower (rounds) with most semi-autos. I was probably one of the last LEO's to complete my active duty time with a revolver. They did change to semi-auto prior to my class leaving active duty, but I was taken out by Lightening prior to that time. We were feeling a little out gunned with the revolvers.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Largest police force in the country uses 9mm, NYPD. Performing great, shooting down bad guys all the time.

Other large police dept using 9mm, LAPD and LA county sheriff. (LA= Los Angeles, CA)

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Yeah, but at the same time, I know of LEO that are perfectly content with the performance of their 9mms. There's a county, Prince something, that has more shootings than any other county in the US. LEO is using 124 gn 9mm, can't remember the brand now but it's a well known brand and they are getting, as Ernst Langdon put it, a lot of down or dead right there stops.

Let's remember too, that as the .40 was introduced, 'we' began to understand more about shootings, placement, etc. So newer training methods and techniques may have made the .40 look more effective than it really was.

I found it intriguing that New Mexico switched from the .357 sig to .40 for costs. Kinda sounds like they had the better performing bullet, but costs.....And I don't really know that the .357 sig is better than a .40, but I think it is.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I agree. That comes from more inet misinformation. And, how many gun savy medical examiners are there?
    Very few.

One of the things I do on GSW cases is try guessing the caliber without measurements (eyeballing) and then inquire with those that know what was used. I'm at roughly 95% on my guesses.

The other part of my guessing involves FMJ vs JHP.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    We have had two officer funerals in the last two months and on both I made it a point to identify the weapons carried by the various agencies in attendance.

Glock was by far the most prevalent. A couple carried M&Ps and saw one agency carrying a Sig. No 1911s. No wheelies.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    Largest police force in the country uses 9mm, NYPD.
    don't even think of using the NYPD as an example, they have been way behind the curve for many years, they were one of the last large agencies to go to semi auto 9mm. decisions they make regarding guns or any other weapons is more political than tactical
    OlCop likes this.

APV... While I respect your opinion.... I cant agree with it as truth.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links