Defensive Carry banner

Just FWIW: What state troopers carry...

69K views 167 replies 108 participants last post by  Chief1297 
#1 ·
This is a pretty well confirmed and up-to-date list of what 'state patrols' carry as gun brands and caliber. Although I won't disclose the source, I do trust it.

Just a thing of interest or curiosity.

Alabama Glock 22/23 (.40 S&W)
Alaska Glock 22/23 (.40 S&W)
Arizona Sig P226 (.40 S&W)
Arkansas Glock 21SF (State Police), Glock 22 (S.P. Highway Patrol) (.45 ACP, .40 S&W)
California S&W 4006TSW (.40 S&W)
Colorado S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Connecticut Sig P226/P229 (.40 S&W)
Delaware Sig P229 (.357Sig)
Florida Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
Georgia Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
Hawaii (State Sheriff's Office, Honolulu) S&W M&P (9mm)
Idaho Glock 21 (.45 ACP) or Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Illinois Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Indiana Glock 17 (9mm)
Iowa S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Kansas Glock 21 (.45 ACP)
Kentucky Glock 35 (.40 S&W)...........Transitioning to Gen 4 G35
Lousiana Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Maine HK USP (.45 ACP)
Maryland Beretta Px4 (.40 S&W)
Massachusetts S&W M&P (.45 ACP)
Michigan Sig P226 (.40 S&W)
Minnesota Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Mississippi Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Missouri Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Montana Sig P229 (.357Sig)
Nebraska Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Nevada Sig P229 (.40 S&W)
New Hampshire S&W M&P (.45 ACP)
New Jersey Sig 228 (9mm)
New Mexico S&W M&P (.357 Sig).........The latest word is that NM has gone back to .40 for cost reasons
New York Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
North Carolina S&W M&P(.357Sig)
North Dakota Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Ohio Sig P229/P226 (.40 S&W)
Oklahoma Sig P226R (.357Sig)
Oregon S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Pennsylvania Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
Rhode Island Sig P229 (.357Sig)
South Carolina Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
South Dakota Sig P229 (.357 Sig)
Tennessee Glock 31 (.357Sig)
Texas Sig P229/P226 (.357Sig)
Utah Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Vermont S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Virginia Sig P229RDAK (.357Sig)
Washington S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
West Virginia S&W 4566TSW (.45 ACP)
Wisconsin Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Wyoming S&W M&P (.40 S&W)

See less See more
#90 ·
I may be wrong but I was almost positive TN used Glock 21 (.45 ACP). Again I could be mistaken as that is what most LEO I have talked to are using.

Goose

#92 ·
I agree and never stated "otherwise" , fact is that is what prompted them to look for more powerful handguns to issue still and where the .40 S&W was born. (which was pertinent to the question that I was answering) :yup:

#93 ·
It is widely accepted as a given that the Miami FBI shootout resulted in the birth of the .40 S&W. But I just don't get it. We've all along had the 9mm and the .45 ACP and now, thirty years hence, in addition to having the .40 S&W, we've come to the realization that 1) there's no such thing as stopping power; and 2) the 9mm is just as effective as the .40 S& W and the .45 ACP. I just don't get it.

#95 ·
It would be naïve to pretend that there does not exist an element within LE who engage in the practice of carrying "drop guns." For that reason several agencies, mine included, prohibit carrying a secondary pistol or back-up gun. You are to carry your departmental issued sidearm, Remington 870 (if qualified), and M4 Colt patrol rifle (if qualified). The latter two are to be checked out at the beginning of shift and turned back in with all ammo accounted for at end of shift. Our patrol cars are randomly inspected for contraband or unauthorized equipment (firearms); and at roll-call we are inspected and checked for proper and no unauthorized equipment. (I will say that it is rumored some officers may be carrying back-up guns.)

#99 · (Edited)
This sounds like a department with a systemic problem and an awful lot like an agency under a consent decree. I would never work for an agency that has a level internal strife, or corruption, that it cannot trust those it employs or that would not allow me the means to sufficiently protect myself OTJ; including the ability to carry a back up gun. Sorry, but your agency leadership is what's wrong with law enforcement management today, and that is coming from a person that IS law enforcement management. We have to stop putting our cops in a losing situation physically and mentality before they even leave the station. JM2C. (My agency allows officers to qualify with and carry up to 2 back up guns, btw).

Rant off.

#100 · (Edited)
.40S&W is an awesome defense caliber choice which combines excellent pistol caliber performance (approaching .357 magnum) with high capacity and is easy to shoot well (given a platform well-designed for the caliber, such as the M&P40, SIG, HK). I love it, especially with 180 gr loads.

I have and use all of the mainstream defense pistol calibers and find .40S&W to be the "sweet spot" for me, with the M&P40 and P320 40. Fantastic caliber that is also enjoyable and makes reloading very easy (cases and bullets not too small, nor fiddly). When called upon to bust through barriers such as multiple bones and/or heavy bone (assailants outstretched arms in front of his body), .40S&W with 180 gr loads punch through very well, are less likely to be deflected, and continue with deep penetration.

While I don't feel under-armed with 9mm (it is a reasonably competent caliber, given the best of today's ammo), I do prefer .40S&W (also with the best of today's ammo) and find it very easy to shoot well.

#102 ·
Tangle... any chance you could update the listing?

BTW, I think the crap being thrown at our men in blue is disgusting. I'm sure there are a few bad apples, as there are everywhere, but overall the police in the USA are awesome and the hazards they face to protect us are often extreme. Just visit officer.com once in a while and see the horrible tragedies that befall the men in blue , while they work to serve us, on a regular basis. Terrible. A few blacks whose behavior (resisting arrest, disobeying officers commands, breaking the law, etc.) precipitated them being shot have incited riots and massive media attention, but look at all the police who are killed in the line of duty and the media are silent. Pathetic. All of these blacks, who were supposedly gunned down in cold blood, would be alive and well today if they had simply complied with police commands and not resisted arrest. It's that simple. They caused their own demise by their disobeying commands, resisting arrest, and lawlessness. Yet the black community paints the police as being lawless murderers. Pathetic.

#106 ·
It would be great to have an update to the list; if that's possible?

#110 ·
I keep my Sig P229 in .357 Sig right next to my desk here. I like the round. It is loud which is why some say to stay away from it but I want it loud. I want it to scare the you know what out of anyone entering my house. I will be prepared for the noise, they will not, and if the noise and fireball does not deter them the 12 rounds of .357 Sig will. I keep a pair of electronic muffs next to the gun. It will protect my ears and allow me to amplify my hearing. :)

#111 ·
I went with the 40 caliber when it first came out and have pretty much committed to it. I have several 40s and enough ammo. It seems like a good compromise between recoil, capacity, and stopping power and I don't have trouble concealing them. The 9mm ammo has come a long way in 20 years and I wouldn't hesitate to carry one, but since I've already invested in 40 S&Ws I see no reason to switch.

#112 ·
Montana HP uses Sig 229 in .357 Sig.

So far, I'm the only guy in the County SO that uses a .357 Sig.

Reactions: Eric357
#113 ·
Highway patrol has to plan on shooting through automobile glass and maybe a car door once in a while.

#114 ·
I had trigger issues with my 2 M&Ps and the Shield's trigger wasn't broke, but not wonderful either.

The 3 Glocks in .357 SIG were stellar performers.

My wife's G32 was a real tack-driver.

We only went away from .357 SIG due to the cost and
no local source for practice ammo less than $46 a box.

The Double Tap ammo was both hot and accurate!

9mm, 9mm+P and .45 ACP suffice these days, butif I was still
behind a badge, the .357 SIG would be my choice over those
and the .40 that I've never really cared for.

Reactions: Eric357
#125 ·
Yeah... I don't know the exact stats, but I think that perhaps half (or more) of the LE agencies in the USA are using .40S&W caliber. It is (and has been) generally regarded as a very effective defense pistol caliber.

But those stats may not mean all THAT much, as agencies are trending toward choosing the most economical defense caliber, which would be 9mm. Their justification is proposing that 9mm is now "the equal" of the venerable .40S&W caliber - and cheaper to train with and cheaper to arm with. Note that the "cheaper" part (and easier for novice shooters) are the primary drivers toward going with 9mm.

For we individuals who are not subject to LE agency bid decisions, carry whatever makes you feel good!

But don't presume to believe that the smaller 9mm caliber is necessarily the "superior" choice in calibers. It may well be cheaper to buy; it may well be easier for novices to shoot; it may allow a couple more "chances" to hit the target than larger calibers (before a reload), but it is not inherently "superior" as a threat stopper.

#122 ·
Unfortunately I have to throw in with AnthonyC. The public thinks that the average cop is some master of defensive shooting. Many are not gun guys at all, and the training is pathetic. For Chicago Police, note the following ANNUAL qualification course of fire. Note that the officer has to fire six rounds at 15 yards, and can totally miss the target for all six rounds and still easily qualify. Chicago readers...feel safer now?

Chicago Police Annual Pistol Qualification Requirements

Q. What is the course of fire?

A. You will shoot a total of 30 rounds for each opportunity: 12 rounds from the five yard line; 12 rounds from the seven yard line; and 6 rounds from the fifteen yard line. In order to qualify, you must place 21 hits out of 30 rounds within the 8 1/2 x 14 target area - 70% proficiency

#127 ·
My Grandfather was one of the first Washington State Patrol officers. Back then they carried a S&W Model 28 as shown in the pic. At the end of his interview for the job, he was handed a gun belt with holster, a S&W Model 28, and a box of cartridges. He was told to go out back and see if he could shoot. After hitting more cans and bottles than missing them, he was hired. That was all the firearms training he received during his career.

The firearm in the pic is not mine, it was found online. It's a Model 28 made by S&W for WSP's 60th anniversary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.