Just FWIW: What state troopers carry... - Page 6

Just FWIW: What state troopers carry...

This is a discussion on Just FWIW: What state troopers carry... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The North Carolina sheriffs office I work for still has the glock 17.....They talk of tight budgets all the time around raise time so who ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Just FWIW: What state troopers carry...

The North Carolina sheriffs office I work for still has the glock 17.....They talk of tight budgets all the time around raise time so who knows if we will ever get a upgrade. The slides have all turned grey color and the metal is starting to shine through it. However my personal off duty CCW is either a SW642 38+P or a Glock 27 with gold dots riding in it.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Shotguns

What shotgun has each state chosen to carry?

When Ray Kelly became the Commissioner of Customs, he made us all switch to 9MM because that's what he knew from his time as the NYPD Police Commissioner. Prior to him, we could carry any caliber (.380 up) as long as we could qualify with it. One of our guys carried a S&W .44 Magnum. Cool thing was Customs would buy whatever ammo we used as well.

Once Kelly left, the agency went back to .40 S&W as the primary duty round, but still had a few 5 shot J frames in .38 Special, 6 shot .357's, and GLOCK Model 26's in 9MM as "second" or back up guns when I retired. Primary handguns are either Sig or H&K.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    I need to know what the fascination with .40 S&W is?
    I've posted the same question a few times here and still haven't gotten a decent response from anyone.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    I understand that the prevalence of the .40 S&W comes from the round being marketed to agencies as a compromise between the .45 cal & 9mm.

That makes sense to me.
    But in +p LE 9mm shots as hard as .40 and is easier to keep on target.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    ^^^^
    Bombthrower77, You may not be getting a response because most here find caliber wars boring and it seems like you are itching for one. If you don't like the .40 no problem, just don't apply to an agency that issues it. Modern 9mm works great, so does .40, .45, and .357 Sig. Now 10millie I won't use, but that's just because I like cats.
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    But in +p LE 9mm shots as hard as .40 and is easier to keep on target.
    As much as I like the 9mm, that statement is kind of simplified.
    Compare a 135 weight 40 to a 124 weight 9mm, and you get a bigger bullet that is just as controllable as the 9mm.

Of course, the 9mm will have more SD, but, the 40 does have an advantage that is, or should be obvious even from an analytical standpoint.
    The 9mm is a good cartridge, and is fully capable, but there is no substitute for horsepower.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Would be interested to see this on a major CITY LEVEL. I can almost guarantee you'll find a lot of 9mm
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    In the past Glock became the the choice of most departments in my area for one reason only, the competitive bid process and Glock submitted the lowest bid. Recently many local departments have switched to other manufacturers because of lower initial procurement costs and services and I am sure this trend will continue. i.e. S&W M&P.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    I always find these types of threads not only interesting but also funny. It seems like alot (not all) of people that are 9mm fans for what every reason dislike the .40 and bad mouth it or think if someone likes it they are just ignorant. If someone chooses a .40 why the heck not not let them like it without bad mouthing them? 9mm, .40,.45, .357 sig, .38spcl, .357 mag ,44spcl haven't they all proved that with proper ammo and in qualified hands they work well? As far as I'm concerned shoot whatever the heck you like, just hit your target.

Glock are well represented. I disagree with statements that say train better shot placement etc. Of course everyone wants to put the round on target perfectly. To train to do this is expensive. The Navy Seals go through more ammo than the entire Coast Guard and almost as much as the Marines in their training. (I do not have the sorce I read that from). The point is to be able to fire under stress and be assured of good shot placement 99% of the time means a lot of range work.
    If you research you'll find the average shootout with police has a lot of bullets fired and few hits. Arguably a problem of it self.

Many people that have 9mm or love them argue the bigger bullet issue. But the Marines and Army are switching back to the .45. There must be documented reasons. I carry a Glock 36 .45 and a Glock 21 .45. I really like the fierarms and the round.

Should you get into a fire fight. Having a .45 doesn't mean a one shot kill. But the odds are in your favor.
    I have to admit i'm not a big 9mm fan.

I guess I don't really see the point of .40 S&W
    As I understand it,

The Leo community had been pretty much forced to go from mostly .357 mag wheel guns to 9mm and for many the results were lacking (remember "back when" they didn't have the ammo we now have). Then the famous (infamous) Miami FBI shootout occurred and the results convinced the "higher ups" that something had to be changed.

The results? The 10mm was the result. The issue now was , that many FBI agents could not handle the size or the recoil and forget about ( for most shooters) anything that even resembled a double tap.

SO back to the drawing board and we end up with the .40 S&W a 10mm sized down to a useable power/recoil compromise that almost everyone could handle and with great results according to the experts. It has roughly 90% of the power of the .357 mag in a pistol rather than a revolver, higher round count and much faster reloading capabilities.

Just FWIW: What state troopers carry...

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Also note KSP is ordering the new gen 4 to replace the gen3 g35 now carried. At this time I don't know about new 27s.
    They got new 27's also.

GH
    The Milwaukee PD used Glock 22s & switched to M&P 40s, both in .40 cal.(obviously). I don't know what the WI State Patrol uses. At least one of the suburbs of Milwaukee, Brookfield, uses Glocks in .357 Sig. The Milwaukee County Sheriff's Dept. uses Glock 22s & some G23s.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I may be wrong but I was almost positive TN used Glock 21 (.45 ACP). Again I could be mistaken as that is what most LEO I have talked to are using.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links