Defensive Carry banner

Just FWIW: What state troopers carry...

69K views 167 replies 108 participants last post by  Chief1297 
#1 ·
This is a pretty well confirmed and up-to-date list of what 'state patrols' carry as gun brands and caliber. Although I won't disclose the source, I do trust it.

Just a thing of interest or curiosity.

Alabama Glock 22/23 (.40 S&W)
Alaska Glock 22/23 (.40 S&W)
Arizona Sig P226 (.40 S&W)
Arkansas Glock 21SF (State Police), Glock 22 (S.P. Highway Patrol) (.45 ACP, .40 S&W)
California S&W 4006TSW (.40 S&W)
Colorado S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Connecticut Sig P226/P229 (.40 S&W)
Delaware Sig P229 (.357Sig)
Florida Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
Georgia Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
Hawaii (State Sheriff's Office, Honolulu) S&W M&P (9mm)
Idaho Glock 21 (.45 ACP) or Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Illinois Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Indiana Glock 17 (9mm)
Iowa S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Kansas Glock 21 (.45 ACP)
Kentucky Glock 35 (.40 S&W)...........Transitioning to Gen 4 G35
Lousiana Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Maine HK USP (.45 ACP)
Maryland Beretta Px4 (.40 S&W)
Massachusetts S&W M&P (.45 ACP)
Michigan Sig P226 (.40 S&W)
Minnesota Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Mississippi Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Missouri Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Montana Sig P229 (.357Sig)
Nebraska Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Nevada Sig P229 (.40 S&W)
New Hampshire S&W M&P (.45 ACP)
New Jersey Sig 228 (9mm)
New Mexico S&W M&P (.357 Sig).........The latest word is that NM has gone back to .40 for cost reasons
New York Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
North Carolina S&W M&P(.357Sig)
North Dakota Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Ohio Sig P229/P226 (.40 S&W)
Oklahoma Sig P226R (.357Sig)
Oregon S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Pennsylvania Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
Rhode Island Sig P229 (.357Sig)
South Carolina Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
South Dakota Sig P229 (.357 Sig)
Tennessee Glock 31 (.357Sig)
Texas Sig P229/P226 (.357Sig)
Utah Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Vermont S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Virginia Sig P229RDAK (.357Sig)
Washington S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
West Virginia S&W 4566TSW (.45 ACP)
Wisconsin Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Wyoming S&W M&P (.40 S&W)

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep, and as a guy said that has connections with a lot of LE, he is seeing a number of agencies returning to the 9mm - probably a cost thing as much as anything.

But, realize this is just 'states'; cities might be different.

#8 ·
Where did all the wheel guns go? Not a single state agency is using them. JK

I was surprised to see the prevalence of .40 cal. I knew it was popular, but not that popular.

#40 ·
Where did all the wheel guns go? Not a single state agency is using them. JK

I was surprised to see the prevalence of .40 cal. I knew it was popular, but not that popular.
More firepower (rounds) with most semi-autos. I was probably one of the last LEO's to complete my active duty time with a revolver. They did change to semi-auto prior to my class leaving active duty, but I was taken out by Lightening prior to that time. We were feeling a little out gunned with the revolvers.

#12 ·
My brother in law is a county sheriff and they switched to a 45 ACP last year. I am not sure what model pistol. They had 40 S& W and the department was not happy with it. He also has an M-16 in his squad with at least 10 full mags.

#19 ·
I for one am very happy with our Glock 35s, 22s, and 27s. The latest shooting we had was an axe welding idiot who crumpled after a quick double tap at danger close distances. I know of no failures to stop since adopting the 40, although, there were never any with the 10mm either.

I cannot find any fault in the 40 from what I have seen, and the reports I have read.

#22 ·
Thanks for the post, OP.It was interesting and I was a LITTLE surprised to see Glock come up so often; but not totally!:smile:

#38 ·
I'm not surprised at all in seeing Glock as being the most common and preferred WOC for standard LE issue since most states are running under very tight budgets and have to get the most bang for their buck (so to speak) while concurrently covering their backsides from potential legal liability issues by providing a weapon with a proven track record of very high reliability in spite of its relatively low cost. Not to say there aren't a number of brands and models with considerably higher reliability and quality; however, when trying to marry quality and functional reliability with the lowest cost, Glocks are pretty tough to equal - much less, better.

As far as the choice of a particular standardized caliber goes, my past LE experience has noted that caliber choice was usually up to the whim and personal preference of the chief, commander or commissioner of the agency (along with fitting ammo cost into departmental budget constraints) instead of by any scientific study of most effective ballastics data (which are a general crap-shoot that can be argued until the cows come home anyway).

Geeezzee, that being said, I've almost talked myself into buying my first Glock.

But then again, I guess I'm just too old, narrow-minded, and opinionated to muster up much desire for a plastic or light-alloy gun - especially when I was sternly lectured and deeply humiliated so often by my parents about such when I was a kid. My ears are still ringing with yelling like.... "You little wimp!! If you're such a whining little panty-waist that you can't carry a real piece of heavy steel around for a few hours and such a sucky, snot-nosed, woosie-muffin pansy that you can't handle the mild recoil of a big bore round, then you need to pack a little plastic water pistol and take your sissy butt outside to play jacks with your sister on the front porch!!"

That was my momma screaming at me while slapping the 4" S&W Model-29 .44 Special she carried around in her purse (I never had the cahoonies to bring up such a subject with my 'ole man) :gah:

OK, OK - just kiddin' everyone (except mom really did carry a model 29). Only plastic guns around when I was a kid were made by Mattel - gee, it's swell :tongue:

#31 ·
So NJ State Police is only one of 2 state agencies that use 9mm, and the only one to use the Sig 228.
I wonder if they have them stock piled...or if they're still able to order them new?
Anyone know?

#37 ·
Thanks for the interesting list. The Gunthorp PD (me) carries a 45. Sooner or later the other states will catch on. Those that carry a 380 use it as a drop gun.

Reactions: CharlesMorri
#43 ·
We have had two officer funerals in the last two months and on both I made it a point to identify the weapons carried by the various agencies in attendance.

Glock was by far the most prevalent. A couple carried M&Ps and saw one agency carrying a Sig. No 1911s. No wheelies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.