To those that pocket carry an LCR... - Page 2

To those that pocket carry an LCR...

This is a discussion on To those that pocket carry an LCR... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One thing I like about pocket carrying a j-frame/lcr, is that if you felt the need to, you can have your hand on the grip ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To those that pocket carry an LCR...

One thing I like about pocket carrying a j-frame/lcr, is that if you felt the need to, you can have your hand on the grip of your weapon without appearing as if you are preparing to draw a gun. It just appears as if you have your hands in your pocket.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I have been carrying my LCR357 for a year and a half in the pocket. On the very rare occasion that I ware light weight dress Pants, I carried in the waist. When I first got the gun I weighed 280 lbs. I now weigh 210 lbs and find know difference in the carry as far as fit or weight. If you ware tight fitting pants it may not work but I never wore that style. Mine has the Tamer Grip and I installed the XS Night Sight. It backs up my Sp101 witch is usually in my waist. The only thing stopping me from buying a second LCR357 and carrying Two is, I hate to put the SP101 away.

Hi John;

I've only tried a single example of the Ruger LCR but did have my way with it over a three-day shooting excursion. Perhaps I'm too wedded to a Smith & Wesson trigger to enjoy the LCR but it mostly gave the impression of "yuck." Of course I'm no big fan of the Colt Detective Special's double-action trigger either and I carry one of those quite often.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    In slacks or cargo shorts it works just fine in my Mika pocket holster.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by playingD View Post
    One thing I like about pocket carrying a j-frame/lcr, is that if you felt the need to, you can have your hand on the grip of your weapon without appearing as if you are preparing to draw a gun. It just appears as if you have your hands in your pocket.
    It's also fairly unobtrusive to actually draw the gun and slip in into your jacket pocket, whence you can begin firing in close quarters if necessary with the LCR or an internal hammer J.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Bryan, how many LCRs have you tried? Both my .38 and .22 LCRs have great triggers for snubbies, although there is quite a lot of overtravel. Mine don't stack at all; in fact, the .38 in particular has sort of a "reverse stacking," feeling slightly lighter as the trigger travels. You may have tried an inferior specimen.
    I have experienced the exact same thing with my .357 LCR. it is a MUCH better trigger than my Smith.

I carry mostly in a high noon mr. softy AIWB but occasionally in a desantis nemesis and have zero issues pocket carrying. Dress to your weapon not the other way around. I have found some jeans and shorts that just don't have pockets suitable for carry.

Just out of curiosity, but have you contacted Kahr about your issues with the CM9? From what I've heard, they have great customer service and I'd at least give them a chance to make things right before shelling out the money for a new handgun.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    i pocket carry my lcr all the time in a DeSantis Nemesis..the key is having loose fitting jeans/cargo pants with deep pockets..i will say though,it's no where near as "pocket carry friendly" as my lcp for obvious reasons..
    Same here 357LCR stock grips in a nemesis when i pocket carry

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I must be the only person who thinks the LCR's trigger is inferior to any Smith & Wesson J-Frame trigger. The LCR trigger stacks and then has a mile of over-travel. Don't care for it at all.
    I think the LCR's trigger is superior to current production J-frames, the earlier ones, not so much.

As for the topic at hand, I regularly carry a LCR .357 in a Nemesis pocket holster, but then again I also regularly pocket carry a SP101 2 1/4" DAO .357 in the same holster, so YMMV.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

For me it doesn't work so well, but I definitely think the Boot Grip makes it work a lot better than the Tamer. In addition to being smaller, the Boot Grip is less "sticky," so fabric slides around it better instead of bunching up and printing more with the Tamer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links