To those that pocket carry an LCR...

This is a discussion on To those that pocket carry an LCR... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does it work? I currently have a Kahr CM9 that I have a love hate relationship with, as in I love the gun and hate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To those that pocket carry an LCR...

To those that pocket carry an LCR...

Does it work?

I currently have a Kahr CM9 that I have a love hate relationship with, as in I love the gun and hate the magazines. After having a follower just break on me and throwing my extended magazine away because it never worked right (came free with the gun as a promotion) it's on it's last chance. The next fail to feed I have because of a nose dive cause by the bad magazine design it is getting sold. The trigger is great, 9mm is great, the sights are great, size is great, price is great... but nose dives are crap.

I am considering picking up the LCR with the XS Big Dot for pocket carry, considering that's how I carry 85% of the time. How well does it conceal in front pockets of cargo shorts?

From what I have read the LCR has the BEST trigger of any small revolver as well?

2. Remove Ads

I can say that it works for me. I'm 6'3, 210, and wear loose fitting jeans. I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis. It fits great in my pocket along with two speed strips. It prints very little, and completely disappears in my khakis. The boot grip and Crimson Trace grips seem to work better for pocket carrying an LCR than do the Hogue Tamers. The Hogue Tamers are thicker and more tactile than the boot or CT's.
    Last edited by playingD; February 7th, 2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: grammer

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    The pocket carry is right on the border being pocket worth for me. It would be better if I could find pants with bigger pockets but right now it prints like crazy and isn't easy to draw. It would also help if I installed the boot grip but then it would sacrifice comfort.

My p238 was easier to pocket carry but wasn't reliable. I love my LCR. It's a keeper.

I love my Ruger LCR 38.

Not all pockets work. It's best to try different brands of pants and jeans.

I use a Blackhawk pocket size 4. Works like a charm.

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

KoB
    When the need for "deep deep concealment" is needed for me (wearing various dress pants, suit pants, or going to theme parks here in FL., etc), I pocket carry my LCR .38 w/ XS Big Dot and CT laser (laser turned off) in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Gets the job done just fine.

As far as pants, I like the Tru-Spec 24/7 pants and shorts. For these have now become my new "brand" of choice due to the extra deep pockets which allow me to "pocket carry my HK P2000sk - in a special order Mika's pocket holster".

I am a small person 5'10" that carries a pf9 in a nemesis holster in my right front pocket. In the winter I wear a lot of corduroy pants which is great for hiding a pistol. In the summer I wear pleated dark colored khakis a lot. If I'm in short IWB with a t shirt or polo. That's how I do it. Blue jeans are hard to use for pocket carry due to tight openings of the pocket and if there worn any they print a weapon easier IMHO. I for the most part pocket carry. The only thing I see bad with pocket carry is when u drive the weapon is very much hard to get out. You might consider ankle carry of ur revolver at times also which is easy to get too while seated. Just be sure to get a good rig. The fobus did not work for me at all but a light weight eBay rig for under 20 bucks ended up working great for me in comfort and ease of draw but might not work for someone else.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

i pocket carry my lcr all the time in a DeSantis Nemesis..the key is having loose fitting jeans/cargo pants with deep pockets..i will say though,it's no where near as "pocket carry friendly" as my lcp for obvious reasons..

LCR 38 is in my right front pocket most of the time, i wear bibs most of the time and that works out great, i thought about the kahrs for along time but just can't get myself to trust the smalll autos

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The Nemisis or this:

HIGH NOON's Pocket Grabber, either in cowhide or horsehide.

These for hip carry:

------------------------------
    Product Line

--------------------------------
    Best of luck with your eventual purchase.

KEV
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

The LCR is such a thin revolver it's pretty good for pocket carry. My wife's .357 lcr looks like the baby to my S&W 327 snubby :) Yes the trigger is fantastic.

I must be the only person who thinks the LCR's trigger is inferior to any Smith & Wesson J-Frame trigger. The LCR trigger stacks and then has a mile of over-travel. Don't care for it at all.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks for the replies so far! Good Info.

I've had good luck out of the Desantis Nemesis with other small firearms and plan to carry that on with the LCR.

As already mentioned, depends on the size of the pockets. It works for me in a DeSantis Nemesis in my Wrangler loose fit jeans and in my khakis.

I can't seem to make pocket carry in jeans work with my CM9, the LCP was ok in one pair I have but still printed a little. Something about my large upper legs and probably lack of motivation to buy new clothes I reckon. I always reserved pants day as IWB day until I can find something that works better for pocket carry via pants.

Looks like you can also get a little better grip on the LCR than the small auto's from the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I must be the only person who thinks the LCR's trigger is inferior to any Smith & Wesson J-Frame trigger. The LCR trigger stacks and then has a mile of over-travel. Don't care for it at all.
    Bryan, how many LCRs have you tried? Both my .38 and .22 LCRs have great triggers for snubbies, although there is quite a lot of overtravel. Mine don't stack at all; in fact, the .38 in particular has sort of a "reverse stacking," feeling slightly lighter as the trigger travels. You may have tried an inferior specimen.

As for carry, since I wear jeans most of the time and I'm a small guy, the LCR doesn't work too well in a pocket, even with the CT Lasergrips it wears. In fact, for jeans-pocket carry for me, the LCP or P3AT is about as big as I can go without too much printing. In cargo pants, the LCR would work fine. My LCR is usually either carried in a Desbiens Badger Reload or a Renegade ankle rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links