Hey guys, I kinda feel like I've dropped the ball on the Ruger SR series....

This is a discussion on Hey guys, I kinda feel like I've dropped the ball on the Ruger SR series.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't have a Ruger SR9/40/C, and don't know much about them except they have a trigger mechanism very similar to a Glock. I don't ...

Thread: Hey guys, I kinda feel like I've dropped the ball on the Ruger SR series....

Senior Moderator

Hey guys, I kinda feel like I've dropped the ball on the Ruger SR series....

I don't have a Ruger SR9/40/C, and don't know much about them except they have a trigger mechanism very similar to a Glock. I don't just mean the little trigger thingy, but the connector as well. And that's where I think I may have dropped the ball a bit.

Ghost Inc, IMO and in the opinion of Blackwater as evident by their use of them, makes the best Glock connectors available. Well, they also make connectors for the Ruger SR9/40/C series. I use Ghost Rockets in all my Glocks; they make a big difference in a lot of ways.

You can buy the Ghost Rocket, Tactical, Patrol, and Ultimate for your Ruger SR series - I'm gonna have to go look at one of these - if it's Glock-like (or better) I'd probably really like it.

Here's the differences:

The Rocket - 3/5# connector with the trigger over-travel tab, actually called the TCC (Trigger Control Connector) - requires minor fitting, more on that shortly...
    The Ultimate - 3.5# connector, drop in
    The Tactical - 5.0# connector with trigger over-travel tab - requires minor fitting, more on that shortly...
    The Patrol - 5.0# connector, drop in
    The HD - heavy duty connector 8#, drop in

The units with the TCC require minor fitting. This is a matter of filing a small tab down to the correct length simply by going slow and testing frequently by testing the action with the connector mounted in the gun. If you happen to file too much off, you can return it to Ghost and they will send you another one free! The TCCs use no set screws that can work loose and Ghost connectors are endorsed by Dave Spaulding if that's of any significance to you.

There's a wealth of info about trigger weights, etc. at the Ghost website:

Home
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    For glocks not rugers sr9. I have bought a couple glocks used that allready had ghost 3.5lb conectors in them. After checking them they were only at a 5lb for a g17 to 5.4lbs pull weight for a g27 and both had some creep in them. I returned them to stock connectors and polished all metal trigger group parts to a high shine. Also the top of the mags next to the conector and cleared a bit a plastic between the connector and the frame from rubbing the connector. That gave me a stock trigger pull of 5lb.0lbs. No creep too.

I would be tempted to try that with a Ruger sr series first. I know that can get the earlier triggers down to or under 6lbs. With the newer ones?? For CC trigger don't need to be to light just a solid trigger. I know getting earlier sr9 trigger down to 6lb is possible doing that. Maybe the later models will get lighter yet.

If the pistol is for match or range use then go for a light short trigger pull.

Senior Moderator
    Excellent discussion about trigger weight in SD guns here:

TRIGGER WEIGHT?

BTW, our tactical carbines and shotguns probably have a lighter trigger pull than a Glock with a 3.5# connector.

hardluk1,
    There has to be something wrong. There is no way a stock 5.5# connector can be polished to be lighter than a 3.5# Ghost Rocket, unless somebody really messed up the Rocket. It's more likely they were a Patrol or Tactical if they didn't produce a noticeably lighter trigger pull than a polished stock connector. The Rockets are factory polished using techniques we could never duplicate. I have Ghost Rockets in every one of my Glocks. They produce a noticeably lighter trigger than just polishing the stock triggers EVERY time.

But you are correct the 3.5# connector does not make a 3.5# trigger, it's more like 5.5 lbs which is fine for a SD gun. Many 1911 SD guns have a lighter trigger than that and a shorter pull. Glock measures the trigger pull from the tip if the trigger; that's the only way we could approach getting a 3.5# 'pull' from a 3.5# connector.

Plus, no matter how much you polish a stock trigger, it will still have over travel and a longer reset than a Rocket or Tactical. If that's of no consequence then no need to bother perhaps. But once one feels the difference in trigger pull and especially reset with a Dave Spaulding cut, it's hard to go back, and really there's no need to.

I'll take my Rugers over a Glock any day. I know thats not the cool choice but Ruger is over all a better fire arm and value.
    The older Glocks were much better fire arms than the new ones.
    Super slight triggers are fine for the target range but may not be the best option for a CC weapon.
    You want to try a sweet 9mm that fits the compact size but fills a full size roll. Try the SR9C you going to surprised.
    Comes with 10 and 17 round Mag depending on your needs.SR9C (1).JPG

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I'll take my Rugers over a Glock any day. I know thats not the cool choice but Ruger is over all a better fire arm and value.
    The older Glocks were much better fire arms than the new ones.
    Super slight triggers are fine for the target range but may not be the best option for a CC weapon.
    You want to try a sweet 9mm that fits the compact size but fills a full size roll. Try the SR9C you going to surprised.
    Comes with 10 and 17 round Mag depending on your needs.
    What super light trigger are you talking about???? We've had two posts that saying the 3.5# connector gives a 5-6 lb trigger pull. Just about any revo in SA has a lighter and shorter trigger. Sig's SA on their DA/SA are listed at 4.5# and they are a shorter pull break than the 3.5# connector.

It's very likely your carbine and shotgun triggers are lighter than a Glock with a 3.5# connector.

You really need to read this - especially the part about the FBI report about trigger weights and hit ratios.

TRIGGER WEIGHT?

Tangle What I guess i did not say was on a glock. A cost 3.5 connector does not lower the stock 5.5lb trigger pull more than a 1/2lb. It does also add creep,or take up. I can do the same thing to a stock conecter buy highly polishing all the metal parts and some plastic. Also being sure nothing rubs anything it does not need to. With a glock , the conector can and does rub on most frames or mags to some degree. Look at them and see two small areas of plastic built out on the right side behind the conntector. Releave and polish them and when these few things are done the trigger pull as well improved.

The gost products may work wonders on a ruger. But with glock the 3.5 ghost connector only is a waist of money. Not much money but still a waist. I still think on a carry gun , I don't want a short light trigger pull. 4.5 to 5 lb is fine. I can get the 5lbs with stock parts on a 5.5lb factory trigger . I have tried a glock play/ match only pistol that had a major reworking of the trigger. It had hardly any take up ,and a very short light pull at 2.5lbs and very short reset. Close to a great trigger by any standards. It also would be very diedly as a defence pistol for the wrong reasons.

Some folks may not reliese that different glocks have different pull wieghts. Like a g34 can be , or should be 4.5lbs. many come new closer to 6lbs when brand new. You can install a lighter wolff striker spring and also lighten the pull slightly. Just not so great for CC. Our glock is a house / fun gun. I carry a 6lb pull kahr that have settled in after many rounds to just under 6lbs. Fine for CC.

its easy to make a trigger in most handguns lighter. My old carry gun for 20 years , A taurus 85SS . When i changed to a pistol my girls wanted to shoot something "bigger" and hated the stock trigger. The trigger pull was a bit heavy at 8lb DA and 4.5lb SA. Wolf light hammer spring and trigger return spring Polish trigger groups and trigger parts were soaked in warm breakfree clp for a couple days. SA pull is 2lb.2oz, DA pull is 4lb 5oz. They all shot it well and it has been used by several friends for CC class's. Never to be CC again as is. My hunting revolvers are DW's and all have short throw triggers about the same pull weights as the taurus. All my rifle but a new AR and old mossy 500 shotgun have light to very lite triggers, some for 20 years.

The 34 and 35 come stock with a 3.5 lb trigger.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    hardluk1,

I've done quite a bit of work on Glock triggers. It is difficult to believe that a 5.5 lb connector can be polished and drop 2 lbs of pull weight. I'm not sure one could drop 2 lbs if there was no friction at all. The ramp angle still makes a difference. But hopefully over the weekend I can put a stock 5.5# connector back in a Glock and make sure everything is polished and see if I can get it as low as a stock pre-polished Ghost Rocket. I have a trigger pull scale with an adapter to help me get consistent measurements on Glocks.

The take up and creep is all but negligible. You'd have to really be in tune with your gun to notice it. I shoot one all the time with a 3.5# Ghost Rocket.

I have modified trigger bars to achieve a lighter trigger pull, shorter trigger pull, significantly shorter reset and still prefer the Ghost Rocket approach.

Plus, polishing etc. does not reduce the trigger reset distance. To some that's never going to be an issue anyway, but some of us can take advantage of it. Nor would polishing provide debris cuts which isn't insignificant.

Gen 3 G34/35s should have a weight similar to what they've always had. Gen 4s will be higher due to the steeper angle of the connector because of changes in the trigger housing. Glock came up with a "dot" connector to fix that - it has a shallower ramp angle.

I get this a lot: installing a Rocket gives an unreasonably light trigger - that's not so. It measures above the 4.5 lbs that you say is fine.

Glockman 19mm Glock 34 and 35 non-gen 4 have a 4.5lb trigger Thats what there site has said for some years. There new gen 4 is a 5.5lb trigger.

Tangle I did not say It would drop 2lbs . I may not type the best but I did not say it would loss 2 lbs. It will or can drop 1/2lb to a nice 5lb trigger pull. I said I have shot a guys all tricked out g34 that is his match pistol that has a nice 2 1/2lb trigger. Don't thing anything is stock there.

Bottom line you think the ghost connector is the cats , a, rear. I think it with out a pile of extra money also spent is a waist of th cost of a good lunch. And the creep is there. Not just in mine when I bought it but other i have seen when guys did the same thing.

Senior Moderator
    You need to shoot my Glock. I compared it to some stock DA/SA guns in SA mode and it's as good. You can help a trigger by polishing it, but you're likely cutting through some of the hardened surface.

I believe if we actually measured the trigger pulls with the same instruments, we would see that polishing has limitations and can in no way match the performance of a Ghost Rocket. Remember, anything you polish has the same benefit to either connector.

I certainly would not deny that there can be some benefit to polishing trigger systems. The "0.25 cent" trigger job has been around forever. Some see more improvement than others. Some have seen very little improvement.

The main issue here is the blanket claim that the Ghost Rocket is a waste of money. It might be to you, it sure isn't to me. For a mere $25, I get a lighter trigger, trigger over travel control, a shorter reset and a more reliable connector design. That might not be significant to you, but it sure is to me and a number of others that understand the advantages.

For example, Dave Spaulding, the very guy that came up with the 'Dave Spaulding" TCT cut for the Rocket and Tactical triggers, put a Ghost Patrol in his custom carry Glock and the Patrol doesn't have the TCT - it's just a 4.5# (Ghost Inc's spec) connector. So apparently Dave Spaulding things a Ghost connector is advantageous to polishing, because he could have easily polished or had his trigger system polished.

For the money, you get a reduced trigger pull, a smoother trigger, and a more reliable design. If you get a Ghost connector with the TCT, then you also get a much reduced trigger over-travel and even more with the Dave Spaulding cut - an amazingly short trigger reset!

I can do anything to my Glocks I want to as far as trigger mods go right up to making an all stock parts Glock trigger have the same over travel limit and short reset as a Ghost Rocket or Tactical. In fact I set up my gen 2 that way. But when it comes to all my carry Glocks, I install a Ghost Rocket and do no polishing. I won't take any chances on breaking the surface of surface hardened parts. And the Ghost connectors are well worth the $25 to me.

Glock 34 & 35s come with the "-" connector which is spec'd by everyone as a 3.5# connector. Glock may have changed the gun spec because the 3.5# spec kind of backfired on them and gave the impression the trigger was too light for carry. But the connector is still the minus connector. The weight of the triggers in the pre-gen 4s are the same as they've always been.

But this thread is not about Glock; it's about Ghost connectors for Rugers. WE need to get back on topic.

Links