XDm Compact 9mm question

This is a discussion on XDm Compact 9mm question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning on getting the XDm at my local gun show next weekend, I decided to get it over the Glock 19. This gun ...

Thread: XDm Compact 9mm question

XDm Compact 9mm question

I am planning on getting the XDm at my local gun show next weekend, I decided to get it over the Glock 19. This gun is a little larger than my Kahr CM9. If you own the XDm what are your methods of concealment and is it difficult to keep it from "printing"?
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I have a xdm 45 3.8, and I don't own any of those IWB's, I have a Galco speed draw paddle which I keep at the 3-4:00 and it conceals well during the winter months. I also have a shoulder rig made by Andrews custom leather. I'd look at some of his products. Extremely well made! Don't go with some cheap make. I've heard a lot of good about White hat holsters on this site, they are in texas as well. By the way excellent selection on your XDM. Good luck on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    I am planning on getting the XDm at my local gun show next weekend, I decided to get it over the Glock 19. This gun is a little larger than my Kahr CM9. If you own the XDm what are your methods of concealment and is it difficult to keep it from "printing"?
    I carry the full size XDM in .40 cal in a Remora with no clips and the reinforces top at AIWB and have no problems whatsoever covering it with just a t-shirt; I have even started carrying it when wearing workout/lounge type pants using the same setup. You shouldn't have any problems.
    An congrats! You made a great choice in weapons; the XDs are top notch.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

I carry the XDM 45 3.8 as well and my preferred method is around 4-5 o'clock IWB. With the holster I use, I have virtually no printing even with a semi tight t-shirt. Granted I am 6' and weigh 175 so not a big guy. The holster I use is from a local guy and his website is c5leather.com. It is very comfortable and as I said I carry most of the time and 90% of the time the wife can't tell and does not realize it. Here are a few quick snapshots IMAG0416.jpgIMAG0417.jpg

Anyhow Congrats! Its my first EDC and I have really enjoyed it - it has been 100% so far (500 rounds) - Speer makes some really good ammo for the shorter barrels too if you are looking some carry ammo. Enjoy it!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    My true-EDC is an XDm9 3.8 Compact. Since late-January of 2011, I've put somewhere around 8K rounds through her. In November, I decided that enough was enough, that I probably should stop abusing her, and got myself another one solely for range/class use (as I discovered during an intermediate-level pistol course last year that there is a small yet very real and quantifiable difference between shooting it and my full-sized XDm9; my full-size currently has about 20K rounds through her, accrued since November, 2010). I saw no need to do so, but I decided to go ahead and replace the striker spring and recoil-spring (assembly): I actually just swapped out the old ones into my range copy, so that I can get an idea about absolute durability (my full-size is a range/class gun, and I finally decided, after about 18K rounds, to replace its recoil and striker springs; it was showing no signs of trouble, at that time).

I also own a Kahr PM9 as an "alternate carry." I carry the Kahr, which now has about 2K rounds on her (since February/March of 2011), perhaps only 1% of the time...and it's because in those rare circumstances, I find that with what I'm wearing, the thicker/"blockier" XDm9 Compact bulges too much. I carry exclusively at my 3-o'clock (strong side), IWB.

My typical IWB rig with the XDm9 3.8 Compact is a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, and offers excellent concealment. On my body, at 2:45-3:00 (I choose this position based on personal comfort through my daily activities as well as my body-build, YMMV), with a severe forward cant on the holster (lip just clears my pants' belt-line), even in just a $5 Old-Navy T, the gun disappears. Aside from some of my "gun world" friends, no-one - and I mean no-one - knows that I carry. Of-course, a lot of how concealable any gun/setup is will be heavily dependent on the end-user's personal and unique concerns, but this serves as an illustration in the comparison to-follow. To lower the carry profile, I will occasionally switch to either a CrossBreed SuperTuck Delux or, more frequently, a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC (in both cases, the holsters are set up the same way at my belt-line, offering me the same consistency in terms of draw stroke), which seems to slim down the profile of the package somewhat - despite the fact that the Pure Kustom is quite thin in build, already.

Nevertheless even so, I find that when I switch to dressier clothing, I sometimes need to thin out the profile even more, and that's where the Kahr comes into play. In a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim II (IWB), it's simply invisible.

I got the Kahr after the 3.8 Compact because of this "bulge at the side" issue. What I really wanted was another XD/XDm, a thinner one - so that I can keep with the consistency that I've built with the full-size, and then again with the 3.8 Compact. At the time, that was the best that I could come up with to keep the manual-of-arms relatively the same, another "grip and go." Certainly, the DAO trigger was something that I needed to adjust to, but given its smoothness and refinement, I had little issues. Now, I'm eagerly awaiting developments with the XDs.

What I really liked - and needed - about the 3.8 Compact is the truncated grip length. For my carry style and body-build, this was a necessity. While I can still easily meet the old Gunsite concealed-carry standards even with only the flush-to-frame magazine in-place, I do find that using the aftermarket Pearce Grip Extension (+0) makes for a more certain dominant grip during the draw stroke, particularly when clearing garment one-handed. The ability for me to significantly increase my firepower by carrying a full-sized magazine (with the grip/backstrap-size matched SA XTension) was also a big plus - and the added weight also helps balance against the gun, on the strong side.

Since you've already looked at the Glock and ruled it out, I won't further press that issue, but I would like to say that you should also look at the S&W M&P - and actually shoot it, too - prior to finalizing your decision with the XDm.

Best of luck!

----

I have the same trigger job to all three of my XDms. I have just recently begun playing with the sights - after I finalize on what setup I want, I will again replicate that to all the others. I really believe in consistency.

Oh, and BTW, it's not because the stock sights are "bad." They're pretty darned decent, actually, but I have decided that it's something that's holding me back from being even more proficient..

Links