Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig.... - Page 2

Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig....

This is a discussion on Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tangle, the 41 mag is alive and well. So is the 10mm. If you remember back when I first joined the forum here, I was, ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig....

Tangle, the 41 mag is alive and well. So is the 10mm. If you remember back when I first joined the forum here, I was, and still am an outspoken advocate of the 10mm, even though no one else was.

The KSP was using the 10mm before going to the 40, and, there was not but maybe one or two other agencies in the country doing so.

So, what I'm saying is that at least there are many, many more agencies carrying it than was the 10mm, so take heart there.

Now, my personal opinion is that it is probably a hell on wheels cartridge compared to the current chamberings being used, and that bullet weight and velocity combo is a proven, time tested formula in an LE or SD gun.
    However, it's not so incredible, as was the 10mm, to make me want one and have the limited supply of ammo available as was the 10mm.

Furthermore, if that light bullet, high speed thing was something that I desired, or really got me, I would opt for the 9x25 Dillion, which shoots the same bullet at 1700 fps. It really outclasses the 357 Sig, and is readily available from
    Double Tap Ammo. So, it's not really that harder to get ammo for than the Sig.

But in closing, if you really like the Sig cartridge, I would not let ammo availability stop me.
    I would just rather have Glockzilla than the 357 Sig, for the same trouble.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm not an expert shooter by any means, I have not shot many different calibers. I have owned a .38 spl, 9mm, and .357 sig. I have shot exactly those and a few others. Of all, my favorite is the .357 sig. It's powerful, flat shooting, and having went through about 15,000 rounds of it, I have yet to see it malfunction.

In my opinion, for the knockdown power, reliability, and flat shoot-ability it's worth the price.
    zonker1986 and AZJD1968 like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Tangle, the 41 mag is alive and well. So is the 10mm. If you remember back when I first joined the forum here, I was, and still am an outspoken advocate of the 10mm, even though no one else was.

The KSP was using the 10mm before going to the 40, and, there was not but maybe one or two other agencies in the country doing so.

So, what I'm saying is that at least there are many, many more agencies carrying it than was the 10mm, so take heart there....
    Yep, that helps.

...Furthermore, if that light bullet, high speed thing was something that I desired, or really got me, I would opt for the 9x25 Dillion, which shoots the same bullet at 1700 fps. It really outclasses the 357 Sig, and is readily available from Double Tap Ammo. So, it's not really that harder to get ammo for than the Sig.
    I'm confused - what shoots the Dillion 9X25?

...But in closing, if you really like the Sig cartridge, I would not let ammo availability stop me.
    I would just rather have Glockzilla than the 357 Sig, for the same trouble.
    Well, the ammo is available. I've seen it at Walmart, but I don't know if they still carry it. As I posted earlier, I can get it for about 25% more than 9mm, which isn't as bad as it could be and significantly less expensive than .45 ACP from the same source.

I do appreciate the thoughts - not sure I can resist much longer And to top if off, there's a G31 gen 4 sitting in a LGS.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Why don't you just get a .357 Sig barrel for your newly acquired G22?

I believe that it will share the same mags with the .40.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post

Weeeeeeell, to tell the truth, I have a couple of guns I could just about do an even trade on for the G31, especially since I now know they have a hard time selling .357 sig guns!

The trade is attractive because I dearly need to thin the herd some more.

Your going to love it!!

I got the M&P compact and can switch to a .40 barrel if you so desire. Easy breezy.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Here is a great source of information about the 357sig...

HandGunInfo.com: SIG357: Pete's 357 SIG Caliber Page
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post

+1

Just buy a factory .357 Sig barrel for your G22. No need to buy another gun, unless you just have money to burn.
    If .357 Sig becomes extinct, you are only out a barrel.

Personally, I think you are over-thinking all of this. For civilian use, the .357 Sig really does nothing that a good 9mm or .40 won't do. Bad guys have been dropping like flies to the Federal 9mm +P+ 115 grain 9BPLE load for decades, and some departments still use it. If you absolutely have to have the supposed latest and greatest, buy some HST's, Gold Dots or Ranger-T's in 9mm or .40 and you'll be armed at least as well as most police officers.

The .357 Sig, while not a bad round at all, is simply a 9mm +P++. It isn't a .357 magnum, nor will it ever be. Double Tap Ammo loads their hottest 125 grain .357 Sig to 1450 fps out of a 4" barrel. Their same ammo in .357 magnum is at 1600 fps out of a 4" barrel. If you are looking for raw power, get yourself a 10mm. Double Tap 135 grain ammo runs 1600 fps out of a Glock 20, and you can buy a .40 S&W conversion barrel for the G20 to practice with. Actually, you can also buy a .357 Sig conversion barrel for the G20 as well, if that floats your boat.

What do you expect .357 Sig to do for you that 9mm +P or .40 won't?
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    +1

Just buy a factory .357 Sig barrel for your G22. No need to buy another gun, unless you just have money to burn.
    If .357 Sig becomes extinct, you are only out a barrel.
    I've already answered that a couple of posts up from this one.

...Personally, I think you are over-thinking all of this. For civilian use, the .357 Sig really does nothing that a good 9mm or .40 won't do.
    I used to think that too; not so sure anymore.

...Bad guys have been dropping like flies to the Federal 9mm +P+ 115 grain 9BPLE load for decades, and some departments still use it.
    Not that what PDs use is the last word, but What PDs use +P+? I know a lot use +P, but I don't know of any that use +P+. That's not to say they don't, I just don't know of any that do.

...buy some HST's, Gold Dots or Ranger-T's in 9mm or .40 and you'll be armed at least as well as most police officers.
    Well, that may be true, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be armed a bit better with a .357 sig.

...The .357 Sig, while not a bad round at all, is simply a 9mm +P++. It isn't a .357 magnum, nor will it ever be. Double Tap Ammo loads their hottest 125 grain .357 Sig to 1450 fps out of a 4" barrel. Their same ammo in .357 magnum is at 1600 fps out of a 4" barrel.
    That might be the hottest .357 load, but I doubt the .357 mags of yesterday had maximum loads and they still did a great job. That heaviest loading is likely more suitable for hunting, probably needs to be fired from a pretty hefty gun, and probably has more recoil than most of us, especially me, would want to shoot. I shot some 125 gn .357 magnum range ammo in a 686 and it was more than I ever wanted to shoot again. Although the box of 145 gn SilverTips my instructor at Gunsight gave me were a little milder.

...If you are looking for raw power, get yourself a 10mm. Double Tap 135 grain ammo runs 1600 fps out of a Glock 20, and you can buy a .40 S&W conversion barrel for the G20 to practice with. Actually, you can also buy a .357 Sig conversion barrel for the G20 as well, if that floats your boat.
    Not looking for raw power.

...What do you expect .357 Sig to do for you that 9mm +P or .40 won't?
    Well, in a test by Ammo Lab, conducted by a respected guy, he found the only round that would break the top support plates on his gel holders was the 10mm and .357 sig. When he doubled up the plates on the top, the two rounds started breaking the bottom plates. No other round he tested did that. So while that's not everything, it is significant. Here's a round doing what the 10mm is doing.

Gman reminded me of something I had heard about and forgot about. Mas did an article about the .357 sig. He found that the .357 sig shot significantly more accurately than the .40 cal; had better terminal effectiveness than the .40; shoots flatter, and has more penetration. Mas has started using the .357 sig in competitions and seems to favor the round.

I've read of people that have had to dispatch deers with both .40 cals and .357 sigs. The .357 sig was noticeably and significantly more effective.

A Tennessee Highway Patrolman told me, FTF, that the reason they switched to the .357 sig is because they had several failures with the .40. He said even with head shots. Now I don't know how that can be but that's what he said. He went on to say that they have seen a noticeable improvement with the .357 sig.

I think it was a large Texas PD that found when they switched to the .357 sig, qualification scores went up. It's interesting that Mas reports that he shoots better with the .357 sig than the .40 and is now using it in competitions.

That sounds like an awful lot of evidence in favor of the .357 sig.

Yeah, it's spendy. My local guy gets me Speer Lawman for 20 bucks a box. Considering you can WWB for 24 bucks a box at WaldoWorld for 9mm, it is quite a bit spendier. But I love it, so I have one and shoot it. Am planning to pick up a barrel for my 229 40 in 357 SIG.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Yeah, it's spendy. My local guy gets me Speer Lawman for 20 bucks a box. Considering you can WWB for 24 bucks a box at WaldoWorld for 9mm, it is quite a bit spendier. But I love it, so I have one and shoot it. Am planning to pick up a barrel for my 229 40 in 357 SIG.
    True, but .40 also costs more than 9mm, .45ACP costs more than either of them. But yeah, .357 sig is a bit pricey. I can get it delivered to my door for $325/1000 - don't know if I can get a better deal than that. But I'm paying $250 per 1000 for 9mm so that makes the .357 sig about 30% more expensive. That's not too bad. But .45 ACP is even more expensive than that.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Forget all this talk about using a glock to defile the 357Sig. Use the gun it was made for, Sig p229.

Any idea what my carry is? And has been for about 13 or 14 years.

If the same force that causes support plates to break when shooting into gelatin blocks is the one that makes the .357 Sig a more effective stopper than .40, then you have solved the age old question of which is better.....slow and heavy or fast and light? One would be silly to carry a low capacity .45 ACP, with its typical anemic energy figures of less than 400 ft. lbs. of energy (230 grains @ 875 fps) vs. a higher capacity .357 Sig with 583 ft. lbs. of energy (125 grains @ 1450 fps).

From your answers to my questions, I find it odd that you are asking people about .357 Sig. Seems like you know quite a bit already, and are determined to get one.

Congrats on your new pistol!

BTW, the 9BPLE Federal 115 grain +P+ was used by both the Border Patrol and Illinois State Police with good results for years and years. Also, DeKalb County, GA, according to Mas Ayoob. The Winchester 127 grain +P+ is in use with several agencies that use or authorize 9mm.

Doing a little research, I found that most .357 Sig defensive/duty ammo is NOT loaded to 1450 fps, the magic number that made the .357 magnum so effective in the 125 grain load.

Federal HST .357 Sig 125 grain = 1360 fps. http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...cticalhst.aspx
    Speer Gold Dot .357 Sig 125 grain = 1350 fps. http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics...x?loadNo=23918
    Winchester Ranger-T .357 Sig 125 grain = 1350 fps. http://www.winchester.com/Products/l...s/default.aspx
    Corbon DPX .357 Sig 125 grain = 1350 fps. http://www.shopcorbon.com/DPX-Handgu...20/200/Product

Not very impressive compared to my Federal 9BPLE 115 grain bullet at 1300 fps. I'm not going to switch to .357 to get 9 more grains and 50 fps more velocity.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

.357 Sig; the other 9mm

Vaquero 45 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    i'm also interesed in a .357 because of this form I found out that my EDC Glock 23 has a barrel that can be change.. so thanks that'll save me a little money for the ammo I found it for 133.00 looked for a barrel before never found one until tonight...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links