Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig.... - Page 6

Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig....

This is a discussion on Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tangle I thought that too at first, but the 9mm and .40 glocks have the same recoil spring. The Gen 4 9's ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ok, guys somebody talk to me about the .357 sig....

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

I thought that too at first, but the 9mm and .40 glocks have the same recoil spring. The Gen 4 9's and .40's have different recoil springs. So if one wanted to shoot +P+ in a 9mm one could get a Gen 4 spring for a .40 and put it in a gen 4 9mm - I think. They may not be interchangeable.

But as you point out, there may be other issues. The .357 barrel is basically a .40 cal barrel with a thicker wall. That makes for a more rigid and stronger barrel. However, I don't know if the .40/.357 chambers are different than the 9mm or not and that might be the weak link in the chain; then again it might not be.
    I think the Glocks in .357Sig and .40SW have a bit of more slide weight (compare weight specs of a G19 to a G32 or G23). Also, the .357Sig is a fully supported chamber vs the .40SW in Glocks. Another sometimes mentioned observation is that the .357Sig is bottlenecked which can aid feeding/chambering. Makes it a pain for reloaders though.

I mentioned in another thread that I keep shooting costs down at range sessions by first shooting a bunch of 9mm rounds out of a G19 to get the fundamentals down, then shoot enough .357Sig rounds out of the G32 until I am comfortable with it. Both guns are the same size so grip, trigger pull, and sight picture are the same.

Hope to hear that you switch to a .357Sig in the end.

A glock 23 with a 357 sig barrel or vice versa is a great set up. Physically I can't tell the difference when I'm shooting either one. I'm waiting for H&K to release a .357 barrel for the p 30.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnnut View Post
    goes back to my original statementif you're a grown man and cant handle the recoil of a .40 ,.357 Sig or .45 acp grow a pair . we are not here to cloverleaf a paper target but rather put 3 shots center mass causing as much destruction as possible to stop the threat.
    It has nothing to do with being a man. Any man will experience more recoil from a .40 than a 9mm. He may not realize it but recoil is NOT moderated by whether we feel it or not. It's still the same. The gun lifts and thrusts just the same and it takes more time to get back on target with heavier recoiling gun.

But nobody is talking about a 9mm, .357, .40 cal or .45 having too much recoil, we're talking about which one has more. Sure we can shoot a heavy recoiling gun in one of those calibers if we don't have degradation in our wrists from getting older or other problems, but regardless we will be able to shoot a lighter recoiling gun faster than a heavier one.

And besides the heavier recoiling guns we were discussing was full house 10mm and Dillion 9x25 rounds - that's a whole, whole lot different that typical SD calibers. Check out Gman's posts that show the energy levels on these rounds.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnnut View Post
    goes back to my original statementif you're a grown man and cant handle the recoil of a .40 ,.357 Sig or .45 acp grow a pair .
    /facepalm
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I believe that you can put a 10mm barrel in a Glock 21, but is the opposite also true?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I believe that you can put a 10mm barrel in a Glock 21, but is the opposite also true?
    No, I don't believe so.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Just get a Sig P229. With a little bit of swapping you can shoot 9mm, .40S&w, and 357Sig out of the same gun. You know the gun that 357Sig was designed for.
    Or you could shoot glock's speciality round, the gap... Snicker,snicker.

The plot thickens...

Here is an excerpt from a post by DocGKR (Dr. Gary Roberts, a ballistics guru)

Is the 357 Sig bad? NO! It is a very reliably performing 9mm bullet, but it is does not offer significantly better terminal performance compared with the best current 9mm ammunition. When firing through heavy clothing, automotive steel panels, automobile windshield glass, interior wall segments, exterior wall segments, and plywood, both the 357 Sig Speer 125 gr JHP Gold Dot and 9mm Speer 124 gr +P JHP Gold Dot exhibited nearly identical penetration and expansion results THROUGH ALL THE DIFFERENT BARRIERS, as demonstrated by both our testing and that of the FBI. Most 357 Sig loadings, unless the fail to expand, do not offer excessive penetration; in fact, the exact opposite, under-penetration, can be a problem. Several .40 S&W and .45 ACP loads offered superior terminal performance through barriers compared to the 9mm and 357 Sig loads. In addition to having tested virtually all the handgun ammo available in lab settings, we have also had the opportunity to analyze numerous OIS incident forensic results and have not observed any greater incapacitation in actual shootings with users of 357 Sig loads compared to those users of 9 mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP who are using equivalent modern, well engineered ammunition.
    It is interesting that most experts, using all kinds of testing methods, show that the .357 Sig isn't that far off from 9mm +P. And that it doesn't offer as good barrier penetration as .40 and .45 ACP.

BUT; I've also found in my reading tonight, that every person that had actual on the street experience with the 357SIG, noticed that it performed better than the other more popular calibers.

Additionally, it seems that the 357SIG is operating at significantly higher pressures than 9mm, or 40, and seems to produce more wear and tear on the pistol. I read, but cannot verify, that Glock recommends changing recoil springs on their 357SIGs every 2000 rounds...

ETA: the above link only references a single post. Here is the entire thread.
    oneshot likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

That is correct on the suggested recoil spring change. Although I'm not sure on the exact round interval.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

It's an expensive .40 casing necked down to a 9mm projectile. So you can look at it as either a hi-velocity 9mm or a small .40. Nothing wrong with the round at all. It has a lot of merit, but not enough for me to bother. If I want to make a 9mm hole, I'll shoot 9mm+P. Otherwise, I'm shooting a .40. The .40 is minimally more expensive than the 9 and performs well. For me it is a solution looking for a problem.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I've never seen that in my Walmart; what brand is it, I'll have to look for it.

The best I've seen is WWB for $21.95/100 which makes the out the door price right at $250/1000.
    Federal champion.
    In the red box

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Eh, I just drop a .357 SIG barrel in a Glock 23. Works the same!
    Yep, me too.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I guess its like everything we do WE OVER ANILIZE EVERYTHING I'm included . I love the round and its got some great merits. I would recomend getting a platform that you can also drop in a .40 cal barrel wich is another great round, If for no other reason than cost. The Sig line of pistols especially the 2022 would be a great choice for around 400$. And of course the glocks and H&k as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Yep, me too.
    40SW Storm Lake Barrel in my Glocks 23 with Meprolights.....also sees duty in my G32 and looks just the same.

AZJD1968 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Additionally, it seems that the 357SIG is operating at significantly higher pressures than 9mm, or 40, and seems to produce more wear and tear on the pistol. I read, but cannot verify, that Glock recommends changing recoil springs on their 357SIGs every 2000 rounds...[/URL]
    One thing nice thing about Glocks, parts are inexpensive. Factory stock springs less than $10. But I put in a stiffer Wolff recoil spring and steel spring rod in my G32 to help out and maybe cycle a little quicker.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links